Unable to print over a wireless network

oldman@old.net

Unable to print over a wireless network
I have three computer connected via a network. I would like to print
using my wireless connection on my laptop when in another room. When
the printers are hard wired via the network any computer can print on
any printer. However, if I move the notebook to another room and try
to print over the wireless connection nothing happens. All of the
drivers for the three printers are installed on each of the computers
and I am able to print test pages. When I try to see the disk drives
on one computer from any of the others I am able to see the drives and
the folders below.

I tried the Windows Trouble shooter but still not able to send a
document from the notebook to my Epson R200 via the wireless
connection. I am able to see the Epson R200 printer that is connected
to my Vista computer.

Any help appreciated.

Oldman
Patrick C

Re: Unable to print over a wireless network
Is that notebook running Vista? Are the printers it cannot see connected to
XP computers?

Try the following which found doing a Google search on a similar problem;

"I had the same problem. I found a solution. Logically it makes no sense to
me, but it worked so...

Go to Control Panel. Choose printer. Then choose Add Printer.

ChooseAdd a local printer. Click on Create a new port. The default in the
drop down box is Local Port. Do not change that. Click Next.

A dialogue box will appear asking for you to enter a port name. Type in the
\\computer name\printer name ie. My computer's name is basement and the
printer name is EpsonSty so I typed in \\basement\epsonsty"

<oldman@old.net> wrote in message
news0l8c4lq2cmqluh1oam1lv25naif10sj65@4ax.com...
>I have three computer connected via a network. I would like to print
> using my wireless connection on my laptop when in another room. When
> the printers are hard wired via the network any computer can print on
> any printer. However, if I move the notebook to another room and try
> to print over the wireless connection nothing happens. All of the
> drivers for the three printers are installed on each of the computers
> and I am able to print test pages. When I try to see the disk drives
> on one computer from any of the others I am able to see the drives and
> the folders below.
>
> I tried the Windows Trouble shooter but still not able to send a
> document from the notebook to my Epson R200 via the wireless
> connection. I am able to see the Epson R200 printer that is connected
> to my Vista computer.
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> Oldman

oldman@old.net

Re: Unable to print over a wireless network
Patrick,

Thanks for the response.

Here is my setup.

The Epson R200 is connected to the Vista box.

The laptop is running XP Home.

Followed your steps but the test page did not print. The page was sent
to the printed and the queue count went from 1 document to zero. Did
you set the printer to share? I tried sharing and not shared but
nothing printed.

Anyone else with any ideas welcome.

On Sun, 7 Sep 2008 21:11:19 -0500, "Patrick C" <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>Is that notebook running Vista? Are the printers it cannot see connected to
>XP computers?
>
>Try the following which found doing a Google search on a similar problem;
>
>"I had the same problem. I found a solution. Logically it makes no sense to
>me, but it worked so...
>
>Go to Control Panel. Choose printer. Then choose Add Printer.
>
>ChooseAdd a local printer. Click on Create a new port. The default in the
>drop down box is Local Port. Do not change that. Click Next.
>
>A dialogue box will appear asking for you to enter a port name. Type in the
>\\computer name\printer name ie. My computer's name is basement and the
>printer name is EpsonSty so I typed in \\basement\epsonsty"
>
><oldman@old.net> wrote in message
>news0l8c4lq2cmqluh1oam1lv25naif10sj65@4ax.com.. .
>>I have three computer connected via a network. I would like to print
>> using my wireless connection on my laptop when in another room. When
>> the printers are hard wired via the network any computer can print on
>> any printer. However, if I move the notebook to another room and try
>> to print over the wireless connection nothing happens. All of the
>> drivers for the three printers are installed on each of the computers
>> and I am able to print test pages. When I try to see the disk drives
>> on one computer from any of the others I am able to see the drives and
>> the folders below.
>>
>> I tried the Windows Trouble shooter but still not able to send a
>> document from the notebook to my Epson R200 via the wireless
>> connection. I am able to see the Epson R200 printer that is connected
>> to my Vista computer.
>>
>> Any help appreciated.
>>
>> Oldman

Patrick C

Re: Unable to print over a wireless network
Try on the Vista box-Start-Network-Network and Sharing Center- then enable
printer sharing there.

I'm using Vista Home Preimum may be a little different with Vista home, you
may have to go thru the control panel.

> Patrick,
>
> Thanks for the response.
>
> Here is my setup.
>
> The Epson R200 is connected to the Vista box.
>
> The laptop is running XP Home.
>
> Followed your steps but the test page did not print. The page was sent
> to the printed and the queue count went from 1 document to zero. Did
> you set the printer to share? I tried sharing and not shared but
> nothing printed.
>
> Anyone else with any ideas welcome.
>
> On Sun, 7 Sep 2008 21:11:19 -0500, "Patrick C" <me@privacy.net> wrote:
>
>>Is that notebook running Vista? Are the printers it cannot see connected
>>XP computers?
>>
>>Try the following which found doing a Google search on a similar problem;
>>
>>"I had the same problem. I found a solution. Logically it makes no sense
>>me, but it worked so...
>>
>>Go to Control Panel. Choose printer. Then choose Add Printer.
>>
>>ChooseAdd a local printer. Click on Create a new port. The default in the
>>drop down box is Local Port. Do not change that. Click Next.
>>
>>A dialogue box will appear asking for you to enter a port name. Type in
>>the
>>\\computer name\printer name ie. My computer's name is basement and the
>>printer name is EpsonSty so I typed in \\basement\epsonsty"
>>
>><oldman@old.net> wrote in message
>>news0l8c4lq2cmqluh1oam1lv25naif10sj65@4ax.com. ..
>>>I have three computer connected via a network. I would like to print
>>> using my wireless connection on my laptop when in another room. When
>>> the printers are hard wired via the network any computer can print on
>>> any printer. However, if I move the notebook to another room and try
>>> to print over the wireless connection nothing happens. All of the
>>> drivers for the three printers are installed on each of the computers
>>> and I am able to print test pages. When I try to see the disk drives
>>> on one computer from any of the others I am able to see the drives and
>>> the folders below.
>>>
>>> I tried the Windows Trouble shooter but still not able to send a
>>> document from the notebook to my Epson R200 via the wireless
>>> connection. I am able to see the Epson R200 printer that is connected
>>> to my Vista computer.
>>>
>>> Any help appreciated.
>>>
>>> Oldman

Tom Ferguson

Re: Unable to print over a wireless network
When using the wireless connection between the notebook and the network, can
you create and modify files on the computer to which the printer is
attached?
--

Tom
MSMVP 1998-2007

oldman@old.net

Re: Unable to print over a wireless network
Patrick,

What kind of printer are you using. I see the progress indicator go
for the test page but nothing comes out of the printer.

Oldman

On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 15:12:42 -0500, "Patrick C" <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>Try on the Vista box-Start-Network-Network and Sharing Center- then enable
>printer sharing there.
>
>I'm using Vista Home Preimum may be a little different with Vista home, you
>may have to go thru the control panel.
>
><oldman@old.net> wrote in message
>news:huaac490j28s1m6qp60p4l1vgj6uem97vj@4ax.com.. .
>> Patrick,
>>
>> Thanks for the response.
>>
>> Here is my setup.
>>
>> The Epson R200 is connected to the Vista box.
>>
>> The laptop is running XP Home.
>>
>> Followed your steps but the test page did not print. The page was sent
>> to the printed and the queue count went from 1 document to zero. Did
>> you set the printer to share? I tried sharing and not shared but
>> nothing printed.
>>
>> Anyone else with any ideas welcome.
>>
>> On Sun, 7 Sep 2008 21:11:19 -0500, "Patrick C" <me@privacy.net> wrote:
>>
>>>Is that notebook running Vista? Are the printers it cannot see connected
>>>XP computers?
>>>
>>>Try the following which found doing a Google search on a similar problem;
>>>
>>>"I had the same problem. I found a solution. Logically it makes no sense
>>>me, but it worked so...
>>>
>>>Go to Control Panel. Choose printer. Then choose Add Printer.
>>>
>>>ChooseAdd a local printer. Click on Create a new port. The default in the
>>>drop down box is Local Port. Do not change that. Click Next.
>>>
>>>A dialogue box will appear asking for you to enter a port name. Type in
>>>the
>>>\\computer name\printer name ie. My computer's name is basement and the
>>>printer name is EpsonSty so I typed in \\basement\epsonsty"
>>>
>>><oldman@old.net> wrote in message
>>>news0l8c4lq2cmqluh1oam1lv25naif10sj65@4ax.com ...

Patrick C

Re: Unable to print over a wireless network
I'm using a Brother 240c multifunction.

You could try on the laptop going into Control Panel select classic view on
the left side then double click Printers, then select the printer by left
clicking on it once, right click on the selected printer, select run as
administrator then properties, in the properties select the advanced tab
near the top then set the start printing immediately apply & ok.

> Patrick,
>
> What kind of printer are you using. I see the progress indicator go
> for the test page but nothing comes out of the printer.
>
> Oldman
>
> On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 15:12:42 -0500, "Patrick C" <me@privacy.net> wrote:
>
>>Try on the Vista box-Start-Network-Network and Sharing Center- then enable
>>printer sharing there.
>>
>>I'm using Vista Home Preimum may be a little different with Vista home,
>>you
>>may have to go thru the control panel.
>>
>><oldman@old.net> wrote in message
>>news:huaac490j28s1m6qp60p4l1vgj6uem97vj@4ax.com. ..
>>> Patrick,
>>>
>>> Thanks for the response.
>>>
>>> Here is my setup.
>>>
>>> The Epson R200 is connected to the Vista box.
>>>
>>> The laptop is running XP Home.
>>>
>>> Followed your steps but the test page did not print. The page was sent
>>> to the printed and the queue count went from 1 document to zero. Did
>>> you set the printer to share? I tried sharing and not shared but
>>> nothing printed.
>>>
>>> Anyone else with any ideas welcome.

oldman@old.net

Re: Unable to print over a wireless network
Tom,

System crashed last night and just restored it. you might have seen
this update of your questions.

I am able to see and modify files on the desktop from the notebook. I
see the print progress icons from the Epson R200 when I try to print
wireless from the notebook. However, nothing comes out from the R200
at the end of the process.

Oldman

On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 12:45:33 -0300, "Tom Ferguson"
<tom.newsgroups@gmail.com> wrote:

>When using the wireless connection between the notebook and the network, can
>you create and modify files on the computer to which the printer is
>attached?

diamond1969

Re: Unable to print over a wireless network

Hi, Oldman! So glad you wrote this. I have a Dell 330 wireless router
which works great with my Dell laptop which uses XP. I'm considering
purchasing a Toshiba Satellite laptop and I simply want to know if my
wireless printing will work with the Vista which will come with the
Toshiba. After doing much internet research, it seems a lot of folks
have issues because of not having the proper drivers for Vista. Can
someone give me some good advice on this subject?

--
diamond1969
oldman@old.net

Re: Unable to print over a wireless network
Saturday:

here is an additional problem hopefully someone can help me solve:

I would like to be able to connect my Epson R200 to print through my
Trend net print server. Currently I a using the upper USB port for my
Samsung ML1720 printer and that works fine.

My problem is the inability to add a port as follows:
LPT:PSEE32-5 with the IP address of :
192.168.0.10,PID3. I have not figured out how to get these two lines
into the set of available ports on my Vista system. On my other PC I
can print to the server ok.

On the laptop I also have this problem. I have a kluge workaround
which allows me to print on the server by going across the network to
my XP desktop.

If someone has a solution for me on how to fix these problems any help
would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Oldman