Printing Problems in mixed 32 & 64 bit network

Mike

Printing Problems in mixed 32 & 64 bit network
Recently upgraded our "main" pc to Vista Ultimate... wireless laptops are
running XP. Network is set up correctly, file sharing is working great, all
computers able to access network drives and shared files.

Problem is that XP laptops cannot print up to the main system which has two
canon printers attached via usb. Drivers automatically updated on the vista
machine when printers were plugged in. One laptop has it's own printer which
I can print down from vista.

tried installing Vista printers as both shared printers and as local ports
on the XP machines "\\main\printer_1" etc... No Good either way

Tried installing "additional drivers" through the printer control panel in
vista but got error stating that "...drivers were incompatible with processor
architecture."

Any Ideas out there????
Tom Ferguson

Re: Printing Problems in mixed 32 & 64 bit network
I'm not sure of what you did. The basic idea seems correct. So, to be sure-

On the XP machine:

Go to your printers and add a printer

Chose Local printer attached to this computer option. Uncheck the auto
detect option.

Click next

Create a new port > Local port

In the local port name type \\computername\sharename Computername will be
the name of the computer the printer is attached to. share name will be the
name you gave to the shared printer.

On the next screen just click on "have disk" and point it to the location of
the correct drivers.
--

Tom
MSMVP 1998-2007

> Recently upgraded our "main" pc to Vista Ultimate... wireless laptops are
> running XP. Network is set up correctly, file sharing is working great,
> all
> computers able to access network drives and shared files.
>
> Problem is that XP laptops cannot print up to the main system which has
> two
> canon printers attached via usb. Drivers automatically updated on the
> vista
> machine when printers were plugged in. One laptop has it's own printer
> which
> I can print down from vista.
>
> tried installing Vista printers as both shared printers and as local ports
> on the XP machines "\\main\printer_1" etc... No Good either way
>
> Tried installing "additional drivers" through the printer control panel in
> vista but got error stating that "...drivers were incompatible with
> processor
> architecture."
>
> Any Ideas out there????

Tom Ferguson

Re: Printing Problems in mixed 32 & 64 bit network
2.

Navigate to Printers on the box with the connected printer. Right click on
the printer name. Properties Sharing Change Sharing Options Share
this printer Additional drivers....

--

Tom
MSMVP 1998-2007

> Recently upgraded our "main" pc to Vista Ultimate... wireless laptops are
> running XP. Network is set up correctly, file sharing is working great,
> all
> computers able to access network drives and shared files.
>
> Problem is that XP laptops cannot print up to the main system which has
> two
> canon printers attached via usb. Drivers automatically updated on the
> vista
> machine when printers were plugged in. One laptop has it's own printer
> which
> I can print down from vista.
>
> tried installing Vista printers as both shared printers and as local ports
> on the XP machines "\\main\printer_1" etc... No Good either way
>
> Tried installing "additional drivers" through the printer control panel in
> vista but got error stating that "...drivers were incompatible with
> processor
> architecture."
>
> Any Ideas out there????

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Printing Problems in mixed 32 & 64 bit network
for the print share names on the X64 machine, keep them short and without
the spaces. It will work with the spaces but you have to "" around the
configuration on the XP machines.

To install the 32 bit Vista Canon drivers on the x64 machine , you will need
to install them remotely using a 32bit Vista machine. There are other
ways to do this but that's the easiest.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team