Installing Epson printer using cd versus online downloads

jande30

Installing Epson printer using cd versus online downloads
I recently assisted someone with the installation of her Epson printer. We
used the software cd included in the package of materials. Everything worked
fine (except for the fact that the printer was defective). Now, her computer
is not working. There is no connection from the PC to the monitor. We
noticed, after the fact, that there was a small disclaimer on the package
saying not to use the cd if you have Vista. Could us using the cd be the
reason her computer is no longer working?
Malke

Re: Installing Epson printer using cd versus online downloads
jande30 wrote:

> I recently assisted someone with the installation of her Epson printer.
> We
> used the software cd included in the package of materials. Everything
> worked
> fine (except for the fact that the printer was defective). Now, her
> computer
> is not working. There is no connection from the PC to the monitor. We
> noticed, after the fact, that there was a small disclaimer on the package
> saying not to use the cd if you have Vista. Could us using the cd be the
> reason her computer is no longer working?

No. While you should always use the latest drivers for hardware - getting
the printer drivers from the printer mftr.'s website in your friend's
instance - using the CD would not cause a video card to fail.

Things for your friend to try:

1. With the computer and monitor off, examine the cable between the computer
and the monitor. Make sure there are no bent pins and that the connection
is snug (without being so tight as to strip the screws) on both bends.

1a. Make sure that you are connecting the monitor to the correct video
output on the computer. This may sound strange, but there are cases where
there is a motherboard video connector and a separate video card. If you
connect to the motherboard connector instead of the separate video card,
you won't get video.

2. If all is well in #1/1a, attach the computer to a different monitor. If
the problem is gone, the first monitor has died. Replace it. If the problem
still exists, swap out the video card for a known-working one. If that
solves the problem, the original card has died.

3. If this is a new computer still under warranty, skip #2 and call the
computer mftr.'s tech support.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

jande30

Re: Installing Epson printer using cd versus online downloads
Thank you for your feedback. I will advise her of the troubleshooting
options you have provided.

Thank you!