Print From Vista x64 to XP x86

ginster

Print From Vista x64 to XP x86

Hello ,

I have a few pcs networked together. All are running XP x86(using
windows firewall) and have a different printer installed on each. I
recently added a Vista x64 pc to the mix, it has no printer connect
directly to it, and it can access all the other pcs from it(file
sharing
is good, same workgroup).

My problems is that I cannot print from the Vista x64 system to any of
the other Xp x86 systems.

I have tried installing the 64 bit and 32 bit drivers on the Vista
machine - Add printer - Add a network, wireless or bluetooth printer
-(I
can see all the printers on the network) I select any and get this
error
message : The server for the 'HP Deskjet 1280' does not have the
proper
driver installed. If you want to search for the proper driver, click
OK.
Otherwise, click cancel cancel and contact your network administrator
or
original equipment manufacturer for the correct printer driver. - OK -
select the 64 bit drivers and receive this error message: Windows
cannot
locate a suitable windows driver. Contact your administrator for help
locating and installing a suitable driver - when i try the x86 bit
driver i get this message : Printer driver setup. Operation could not
be
completed(error 0x800f0214).

I tried to install the 64 bit drivers on the Xp x86 machines but
failed. Drivers - Additional Drivers - (there is no Vista x64 option,
only a XP x64 option which doesnt work with the vista drivers)

My printers are all HP:
Deskjet 1280
Laserjet 1010
Designjet 500

I'm losing my mind finding a solution
Any help would be great!
Thanks

--
ginster
Mick Murphy

RE: Print From Vista x64 to XP x86
You don'y try to install vista 64bit Driver in the XP 32bit!!!
That's a no-no!

work for XP machines!).

and Printer Sharing.

--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"ginster" wrote:

> Hello ,
>
> I have a few pcs networked together. All are running XP x86(using
> windows firewall) and have a different printer installed on each. I
> recently added a Vista x64 pc to the mix, it has no printer connect
> directly to it, and it can access all the other pcs from it(file
> sharing
> is good, same workgroup).
>
> My problems is that I cannot print from the Vista x64 system to any of
> the other Xp x86 systems.
>
> I have tried installing the 64 bit and 32 bit drivers on the Vista
> machine - Add printer - Add a network, wireless or bluetooth printer
> -(I
> can see all the printers on the network) I select any and get this
> error
> message : The server for the 'HP Deskjet 1280' does not have the
> proper
> driver installed. If you want to search for the proper driver, click
> OK.
> Otherwise, click cancel cancel and contact your network administrator
> or
> original equipment manufacturer for the correct printer driver. - OK -
> select the 64 bit drivers and receive this error message: Windows
> cannot
> locate a suitable windows driver. Contact your administrator for help
> locating and installing a suitable driver - when i try the x86 bit
> driver i get this message : Printer driver setup. Operation could not
> be
> completed(error 0x800f0214).
>
> I tried to install the 64 bit drivers on the Xp x86 machines but
> failed. Drivers - Additional Drivers - (there is no Vista x64 option,
> only a XP x64 option which doesnt work with the vista drivers)
>
> My printers are all HP:
> Deskjet 1280
> Laserjet 1010
> Designjet 500
>

> I'm losing my mind finding a solution
> Any help would be great!
> Thanks
>

> --
> ginster

ginster

Re: Print From Vista x64 to XP x86

I tried that Mick, still not working...

--
ginster
Patrick C

Re: Print From Vista x64 to XP x86
I was having a similar problem, trying to print from Vista 32 to XP shared
printer and did a Google search on the problem and found the following. Do
this on the Vista machine;

"I had the same problem. I found a solution. Logically it makes no sense
to me, but it worked so...

Go to Control Panel. Choose printer. Then choose Add Printer.

ChooseAdd a local printer. Click on Create a new port. The default in the
drop down box is Local Port. Do not change that. Click Next.

A dialogue box will appear asking for you to enter a port name. Type in the
\\computer name\printer name ie. My computer's name is basement and the
printer name is EpsonSty so I typed in \\basement\epsonsty"

Maybe it will work for you.

"ginster" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hello ,
>
> I have a few pcs networked together. All are running XP x86(using
> windows firewall) and have a different printer installed on each. I
> recently added a Vista x64 pc to the mix, it has no printer connect
> directly to it, and it can access all the other pcs from it(file
> sharing
> is good, same workgroup).
>
> My problems is that I cannot print from the Vista x64 system to any of
> the other Xp x86 systems.
>
> I have tried installing the 64 bit and 32 bit drivers on the Vista
> machine - Add printer - Add a network, wireless or bluetooth printer
> -(I
> can see all the printers on the network) I select any and get this
> error
> message : The server for the 'HP Deskjet 1280' does not have the
> proper
> driver installed. If you want to search for the proper driver, click
> OK.
> Otherwise, click cancel cancel and contact your network administrator
> or
> original equipment manufacturer for the correct printer driver. - OK -
> select the 64 bit drivers and receive this error message: Windows
> cannot
> locate a suitable windows driver. Contact your administrator for help
> locating and installing a suitable driver - when i try the x86 bit
> driver i get this message : Printer driver setup. Operation could not
> be
> completed(error 0x800f0214).
>
> I tried to install the 64 bit drivers on the Xp x86 machines but
> failed. Drivers - Additional Drivers - (there is no Vista x64 option,
> only a XP x64 option which doesnt work with the vista drivers)
>
> My printers are all HP:
> Deskjet 1280
> Laserjet 1010
> Designjet 500
>

> I'm losing my mind finding a solution
> Any help would be great!
> Thanks
>

> --
> ginster

ginster

Re: Print From Vista x64 to XP x86

I was pretty sure that wouldnt work Patrick, but i dont know what to
tell you!
I worked like a charm!! all my printers are working!!
Thanks a lot, you just saved my sanity

--
ginster
Extensa

Re: Print From Vista x64 to XP x86

That's funny that you say you didn't think it would work. We have 2
desktops (XP x32) and 2 laptops (Vista x64 and XP x32). I tried several
things to be able to have the Vista incorporate into the mix. I found
that by using the \\computername\printername technique on both laptops,
I could easily print through the main desktop.

Thanks for the help

--
Extensa
Lyoness

Re: Print From Vista x64 to XP x86

I had this same problem at work and Patrick's solution helped to finally
solve the problem (I've been trying to install an HP Laserjet 4050n
since yesterday)!

Because I'm on a work network our printers have their own IPs so
instead of using Local Port i chose TCP/IP port and then entered in the
printer's IP address and left everything else as default....and it
worked!!

Thank you so much Patrick!! arty:arty:arty:

--
Lyoness