Printer driver update needed message reappears

John

Printer driver update needed message reappears
I have a Vista Biz laptop running on a Windows 2003 SP2 domain with GPMC SP1
installed on the Domain Controller. I have tried to use this article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946225 Page 9 of 11

to resolve the issue where I get "Printer driver update needed message
reappears" in the properties of a Xerox printer that is being accessed by a
2003 print server. The user can update the driver and print but then this
message keeps coming back within a week or so. When I go into the Group
Policy the options that are shown do not look like the options I get. The
"When installing drivers for a new connection and When updating drivers for
an existing connection" are not there under the Point and print restrictions
options in GP.

Sorry for the long winded post but I wanted to be sure I was clear.

Thanks

John

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Printer driver update needed message reappears
Xerox printers has some config file that gets updates when adding a printer
that uses the same driver forcing all the clients into Driver Update Needed
state since one file used by multiple printers by even more multiple clients
is now newer on the server.

The Vista Point and Print Restrictions setting are viewable on a Vista
machine. I don't know how to load the Vista GPO settings other than to edit
the GPO using Server 2008.

I'm sure someone on a group policy newsgroup would have a better answer to
accomplish this using Server 2003

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team