Vista and Print Server

RonR

Vista and Print Server
I have 3 computers sharing a printer through a Netgear print server - PS121.
The three print fine - they run Windows XP. Now I want to add a Windows Vista
computer. However, the Vista computer does not "see" the print server. Do I
need to attach the print server directly to the Vista machine for
installation and then go back to the traditional setup w/ the Print Server as
a network device?

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Vista and Print Server
Ensure the print server is compatible with Vista.... there may be infomation
at the manufacturer's website.
--
Cari (MS-MVP) Printing & Imaging
www.coribright.com/windows

"RonR" <u44629@uwe> wrote in message news:86856b121ec30@uwe...
>I have 3 computers sharing a printer through a Netgear print server -
>PS121.
> The three print fine - they run Windows XP. Now I want to add a Windows
> Vista
> computer. However, the Vista computer does not "see" the print server. Do
> need to attach the print server directly to the Vista machine for
> installation and then go back to the traditional setup w/ the Print Server
> as
> a network device?

Tom Ferguson

Re: Vista and Print Server
The Netgear website does not mention that that print server is Vista
compatible. However, I see nothing in the specification that would lead to
it not being compatible. But whatta I know?? ;-)

At the very least, you will need Vista drivers for your printer. Do you
install by running the installation wizard for network printers or from its
"web page"? I'm not familiar with that device.

Perhaps Alan Morris will have some thoughts.
--

Tom
MSMVP 1998-2007

"RonR" <u44629@uwe> wrote in message news:86856b121ec30@uwe...
>I have 3 computers sharing a printer through a Netgear print server -
>PS121.
> The three print fine - they run Windows XP. Now I want to add a Windows
> Vista
> computer. However, the Vista computer does not "see" the print server. Do
> need to attach the print server directly to the Vista machine for
> installation and then go back to the traditional setup w/ the Print Server
> as
> a network device?

RonR via WindowsKB.com

Re: Vista and Print Server
I downloaded the updated Vista driver. During the install, it goes looking
for the print server...but can't "find it". That's when I started to wonder
if I needed to attach the print server to the Vista computer to do the
install...then move the print server back to being a network device off the
router. ???

Cari (MS-MVP) wrote:
>Ensure the print server is compatible with Vista.... there may be infomation
>at the manufacturer's website.
>>I have 3 computers sharing a printer through a Netgear print server -
>>PS121.

>[quoted text clipped - 6 lines]
>> as
>> a network device?

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Vista and Print Server
Can the Vista machine ping the netgear device?
I think netgear has there own port monitor for XP

Is there any information on whether the device supports LPD? If it does and
you can ping the device, create a Standard TCP/IP. You will need configure
the port in LPR mode using the queue name the device LPD supports. And
enable byte counting if needed.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"Tom Ferguson" <tom.newsgroups@gmail.com> wrote in message
> The Netgear website does not mention that that print server is Vista
> compatible. However, I see nothing in the specification that would lead to
> it not being compatible. But whatta I know?? ;-)
>
> At the very least, you will need Vista drivers for your printer. Do you
> install by running the installation wizard for network printers or from
> its "web page"? I'm not familiar with that device.
>
> Perhaps Alan Morris will have some thoughts.
> --
>
> Tom
> MSMVP 1998-2007
>

> "RonR" <u44629@uwe> wrote in message news:86856b121ec30@uwe...
>>I have 3 computers sharing a printer through a Netgear print server -
>>PS121.
>> The three print fine - they run Windows XP. Now I want to add a Windows
>> Vista
>> computer. However, the Vista computer does not "see" the print server. Do
>> need to attach the print server directly to the Vista machine for
>> installation and then go back to the traditional setup w/ the Print
>> Server as
>> a network device?

PaulB

RE: Vista and Print Server
Hi,
I have two of these, both a version 1 and version 2, They both work well
with Vista.
Make sure you install the correct version utility software based on the
Print server you have. They are Vista compatible. See the site below.

http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/PS121.asp

Also see the follwoing for instructions how to manual set up print server.

http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/N101742.asp
--
Paul

"RonR" wrote:

> I have 3 computers sharing a printer through a Netgear print server - PS121.
> The three print fine - they run Windows XP. Now I want to add a Windows Vista
> computer. However, the Vista computer does not "see" the print server. Do I
> need to attach the print server directly to the Vista machine for
> installation and then go back to the traditional setup w/ the Print Server as
> a network device?

vista64user

Re: Vista and Print Server

check out a reply from 2006 at:

'I need HP Printer Driver for Vista - DriverHeaven.net'
(http://www.driverheaven.net/windows-...ver-vista.html)

gave hint to use hp deskjet 5400 driver instead of the hp business
inkjet 2230 driver i have been trying for days with my Netgear PS101
print server (v1?). Finally works, at least for a complete looking
test page and the preferences for the 5400 printer seem clearer than
those given for the 2230. maybe that is why print servers and printers
are not working...it is the driver supplied by HP is wacko for vista?

--
vista64user