Lexmark E312

Howard Kaikow

Lexmark E312
I've got a Lexmark E312 connected to a Windows desktop and set up for print
sharing.
However, a Vista notebook cannot use that printer because there are no Vista
compatible drivers on the Win 2000 system.

Is there a workaround?

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Lexmark E312

Ask a neighbor for the XP installation CD if you do not have one. Use Have
Disk to install the driver on Win2k, Vista, or both (x86 only unless the
neighbor has X64 Pro).

the E312 driver is available for XP. .

Will the Vista E320 driver work?

Create a local printer rather than a connection. Create a Local Port in the
format \\xpmachine\printsharename, select the Lexmark 320 driver.

If the notebook is 64bit you will need to use the Local Port method to
connect using SMB rather than RPC where the drivers names must match

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"Howard Kaikow" <kaikow@standards.com> wrote in message
> I've got a Lexmark E312 connected to a Windows desktop and set up for
> print
> sharing.
> However, a Vista notebook cannot use that printer because there are no
> Vista
> compatible drivers on the Win 2000 system.
>
> Is there a workaround?

Howard Kaikow

Re: Lexmark E312
"Alan Morris [MSFT]" <alanmo@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Ask a neighbor for the XP installation CD if you do not have one. Use

Have
> Disk to install the driver on Win2k, Vista, or both (x86 only unless the
> neighbor has X64 Pro).
>
> the E312 driver is available for XP. .

I do not understand.
The win 2000 system already has a driver for the E312.

The issue is that there is no Vista driver for the E312 on the Win 2000
system.

> Will the Vista E320 driver work?

Do not know.

> Create a local printer rather than a connection. Create a Local Port in

the
> format \\xpmachine\printsharename, select the Lexmark 320 driver.

I thought that Vista had a driver for the E312.

Could I do:

\\MyNotebook\PrinterShareName

Then select the E312 driver on the Vista system.
Of course, I would have to findout how to setup a local port inVista.

> If the notebook is 64bit you will need to use the Local Port method to
> connect using SMB rather than RPC where the drivers names must match

The notebook is 64-bit.

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Lexmark E312
Win2k does not recognize 64 bit print drivers, you cannot install 64bit
print drivers on that OS.

Local Port to the Win2k shared printer will be the solution. I did not see
the E312 in the driver list for Vista.

Keep the printer attached to the Win2k machine. Win2k tries to read the OS
architecture if you connect to x64 and will complain. It will print but
some of the UI will not work.