Add Printer on Vista x64 installed on XP x86

ginster is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Add Printer on Vista x64 installed on XP x86
Hello ,

I have a few pcs networked together. All are running Xp x86(using windows firewall) and have a different printer installed on each. I recently added a Vista x64 pc to the mix, it has no printer connect directly to it, and it can access all the other pcs from it(file sharing is good, same workgroup).

My problems is that I cannot print from the Vista x64 system to any of the other Xp systems.

I have tried installing the 64 bit and 32 bit drivers on the Vista machine - Add printer - Add a network, wireless or bluetooth printer -(I can see all the printers on the network) I select any and get this error message : The server for the 'HP Deskjet 1280' does not have the proper driver installed. If you want to search for the proper driver, click OK. Otherwise, click cancel cancel and contact your network administrator or original equipment manufacturer for the correct printer driver. - OK - i select the 64 bit drivers and receive this error message: Windows cannot locate a suitable windows driver. Contact your administrator for help locating and installing a suitable driver - when i try the x86 bit driver i get this message : Printer driver setup. Operation could not be completed(error 0x800f0214).

I tried to install the 64 bit drivers on the Xp x86 machines but failed. Drivers - Additional Drivers - (there is no Vista x64 option, only a XP x64 option which doesnt work with the vista drivers)

I'm losing my mind finding a solution
Cheers for the help
Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Add Printer on Vista x64 installed on XP x86
When you point it at the correct drivers, are you pointing at an *.inf file
or are you trying to use an *.exe file?

You must install the driver(s) of the printers on your Vista 64 bit PC as if
you were installing them locally, and THEN, remembering where you installed
the manufacturers' packages, point to the *.inf file(s).
--
Cari (MS-MVP) Printing & Imaging
www.coribright.com/windows