Print error in Vista

Howard Kaikow

Print error in Vista
Brother HL-2170W printer is connected to a router using cable.
No printer is directly connected to the Vista system.
Vista is hooked up wireless.

Both Word and Powerpoint have no trouble using the printer

In Excel, I get the message "Current printer is unavailable".

Note that I can print with Notepad and IE 7.

VB 6 IDE results in "Problem getting printer information from the system.
Make sure the printer is set up correctly".

One issue is the inconsistency within the Office apps.
The other is VB 6.

Solutions?

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Print error in Vista
Probably better to ask in the Excel and VB newsgroups/forums. We know there
is no real problem with the printer itself, nor its connections to your PC
because other applications are printing just fine.
--
Cari (MS-MVP) Printing & Imaging
www.coribright.com/windows

"Howard Kaikow" <kaikow@standards.com> wrote in message
> Brother HL-2170W printer is connected to a router using cable.
> No printer is directly connected to the Vista system.
> Vista is hooked up wireless.
>
> Both Word and Powerpoint have no trouble using the printer
>
> In Excel, I get the message "Current printer is unavailable".
>
> Note that I can print with Notepad and IE 7.
>
> VB 6 IDE results in "Problem getting printer information from the system.
> Make sure the printer is set up correctly".
>
> One issue is the inconsistency within the Office apps.
> The other is VB 6.
>
> Solutions?

Howard Kaikow

Re: Print error in Vista
"Cari (MS-MVP)" <newsgroups@coribright.com> wrote in message
> Probably better to ask in the Excel and VB newsgroups/forums. We know

there
> is no real problem with the printer itself, nor its connections to your PC
> because other applications are printing just fine.

Probably so,

If I do a Shut Down, Restart and immediately run an Excel macro that
references the PagesEtup object, code works.

If I them immediately, try the same code from VB 6, does not work.

Then, if I go back to Excel, again, it does not work.
But I can still print from Word, PowerPoint, etc, and Notepad.

Indeed, I just printed from Word and Powerpoint, thjen went back to Excel
and was able to print from Excel.

Now to try the macro again, ..., this time it worked!

So, I am beginning to suspect NIS 2008 as interfering.

Note that I saw a reference to a similar issue for which the cause was a bug
in the AVG auntie-virus program. Somebody said that there was a workaround,
but did not give the workaround.

Howard Kaikow

Re: Print error in Vista
Bingo!
Eureka!
Whoopee!

I believe that I found a fix!

On the Vista system, I changed the default printer to Microsoft XPS Document
Writer.
Ran the VB 6 program that uses Excel, no problem.
Printed from VBIDE, no problem.
Printed from Excel.no problem.
I then changed the default printer to the Brother HL-2170W.
Voila!
All appears to now work!
At least VB 6 and Excel do!

Howard Kaikow

Re: Print error in Vista
> Bingo!
> Eureka!
> Whoopee!
>
> I believe that I found a fix!
>
> On the Vista system, I changed the default printer to Microsoft XPS

Document
> Writer.
> Ran the VB 6 program that uses Excel, no problem.
> Printed from VBIDE, no problem.
> Printed from Excel.no problem.
> I then changed the default printer to the Brother HL-2170W.
> Voila!
> All appears to now work!
> At least VB 6 and Excel do!

Spoke too soon.
It's broken again.

Howard Kaikow

Re: Print error in Vista
"Howard Kaikow" <kaikow@standards.com> wrote in message
> Brother HL-2170W printer is connected to a router using cable.
> No printer is directly connected to the Vista system.
> Vista is hooked up wireless.
>
> Both Word and Powerpoint have no trouble using the printer
>
> In Excel, I get the message "Current printer is unavailable".
>
> Note that I can print with Notepad and IE 7.
>
> VB 6 IDE results in "Problem getting printer information from the system.
> Make sure the printer is set up correctly".
>
> One issue is the inconsistency within the Office apps.
> The other is VB 6.
>
> Solutions?

The following seems to have fixed things, at least fer now.

I really needed my default printer to work with Excel and VB 6, so I
installed a BullZip PDF printer, made it the default and things worked with
BullZip as default.

Ecer looking for trouble, I then set he Brother printer as the default.

Egad!
Printer worked properly in Excel and VB 6!!!

I'm trying to summon the courage to do a reboot to see if that breaks
things.
Hmmm, now where did I put my bottle of corage pills?

Howard Kaikow

Re: Print error in Vista
> "Howard Kaikow" <kaikow@standards.com> wrote in message

> I'm trying to summon the courage to do a reboot to see if that breaks
> things.
> Hmmm, now where did I put my bottle of courage pills?

Rebooted.
Solution seems to still work.