Network printer offline

Tom from WI

Network printer offline
I added a network printer to my new Vista Home Premium laptop and printed to
it without a problem. Then I shut down the laptop. When I start it up again,
it lists the network printer as being offline and won't print to it. If I
delete it and then add it again, it works great until the next time I shut
the laptop down and start again.

How do I keep the printer from being offline to my laptop? I do not have
this problem from my other Vista Home Premium desktop PC on the same
network.

Both print tro the printer via a wifi connection.

Thanks for you help.
Tom

Larry S

Re: Network printer offline
Try setting the printer address to a fixed address rather than letting DCHP
dynamically set it.

"Tom from WI" <not_real@no-name-isp.us> wrote in message
> I added a network printer to my new Vista Home Premium laptop and printed
> to it without a problem. Then I shut down the laptop. When I start it up
> again, it lists the network printer as being offline and won't print to
> it. If I delete it and then add it again, it works great until the next
> time I shut the laptop down and start again.
>
> How do I keep the printer from being offline to my laptop? I do not have
> this problem from my other Vista Home Premium desktop PC on the same
> network.
>
> Both print tro the printer via a wifi connection.
>
> Thanks for you help.
> Tom

Tom from WI

Re: Network printer offline
Sounds like a good idea, but I don't know how to do that. Can you help?
Tom

"Larry S" <alresford@freenet.co.uk> wrote in message
> Try setting the printer address to a fixed address rather than letting
> DCHP dynamically set it.
>
> "Tom from WI" <not_real@no-name-isp.us> wrote in message
>> I added a network printer to my new Vista Home Premium laptop and printed
>> to it without a problem. Then I shut down the laptop. When I start it up
>> again, it lists the network printer as being offline and won't print to
>> it. If I delete it and then add it again, it works great until the next
>> time I shut the laptop down and start again.
>>
>> How do I keep the printer from being offline to my laptop? I do not have
>> this problem from my other Vista Home Premium desktop PC on the same
>> network.
>>
>> Both print tro the printer via a wifi connection.
>>
>> Thanks for you help.
>> Tom

Malke

Re: Network printer offline
Tom from WI wrote:

> Sounds like a good idea, but I don't know how to do that. Can you help?

Most network printers have a web-based management utility. You get to it by
opening a browser and typing the printer's IP address into the addressbar.
Some more expensive printers have a menu on the printer itself where you
can configure DHCP (disable it) and assign a static IP. It is also good to
assign a static IP outside of your DHCP server's address range.

Or you could read the printer manual, either in paper form or at the printer
mftr.'s website.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Tom from WI

Re: Network printer offline

> Tom from WI wrote:
>
>> Sounds like a good idea, but I don't know how to do that. Can you help?

> Most network printers have a web-based management utility. You get to it
> by
> opening a browser and typing the printer's IP address into the addressbar.
> Some more expensive printers have a menu on the printer itself where you
> can configure DHCP (disable it) and assign a static IP. It is also good to
> assign a static IP outside of your DHCP server's address range.
>
> Or you could read the printer manual, either in paper form or at the
> printer
> mftr.'s website.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
> FAQ - http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ

I looked through the manual on-line, there was nothing in there to help. I
did find some information on their website that looked like it would help.
However, for some strange reason the printer seems to be working now. At
least I'll know where to look if it fails again. Thanks for your help.
Tom