Windows Photo Gallery - Can't Print FAXes...

Nick Poore

Windows Photo Gallery - Can't Print FAXes...
So, somebody sends me a fax to our phone system, which in turn emails me a fax.

Of course, they don't set the FINE option on thier fax machine, so I receive
a fax that has a DPI of 200x100 - which is fax standard quality.

This means that I receive a PORTRAIT image that is 1700 x 1050 in size.
The Windows Photo Gallery renders this correctly, and the metadata correctly
reports that the image has a DPI of 204x98.

However, when I try to PRINT the image, it prints it in 1:1 ratio and
stretches the image twice as wide as it should be.

I can find NO WAY to alter the print behavior.

It is annoying as it correctly renders on the screen.

I've found several public articles on this, where they just complain that it
prints landscape, but I think that the root-cause here is that standard fax
resolution has different horizontal vs vertical resolutions.

Any ideas?
Nick Poore

RE: Windows Photo Gallery - Can't Print FAXes...
I just re-read this, and I could have explained myself clearer.

My fax system sends me a multi-page TIF file.

The TIF file has a horizontal resolution of 204 and a vertical resolution of
98.
(I seem to remember that a "standard quality" fax was supposed to have a
resolution of 200x100, so this seems to make sense.)

The WFG can correctly render the fax on the screen, and the fax looks good.
(In order to do this, it must 'compact' the horizontal resolution from ~2:1
to 1:1.)

However, when the WFG is asked to print the image, it does not render the
image the same as the screen, and prints it out at ~2:1 resolution.
The result is a fax that is wider than it is tall - ie it looks like it has
been stretched horizontally.

Changing the landscape / portrait options makes no difference.

Does anyone have a solution.

Nick.
Nick Poore

RE: Windows Photo Gallery - Can't Print FAXes...
Does anyone have an answer for this?

"Nick Poore" wrote:

> So, somebody sends me a fax to our phone system, which in turn emails me a fax.
>
> Of course, they don't set the FINE option on thier fax machine, so I receive
> a fax that has a DPI of 200x100 - which is fax standard quality.
>
> This means that I receive a PORTRAIT image that is 1700 x 1050 in size.
> The Windows Photo Gallery renders this correctly, and the metadata correctly
> reports that the image has a DPI of 204x98.
>
> However, when I try to PRINT the image, it prints it in 1:1 ratio and
> stretches the image twice as wide as it should be.
>
> I can find NO WAY to alter the print behavior.
>
> It is annoying as it correctly renders on the screen.
>
> I've found several public articles on this, where they just complain that it
> prints landscape, but I think that the root-cause here is that standard fax
> resolution has different horizontal vs vertical resolutions.
>
> Any ideas?

Nick Poore

RE: Windows Photo Gallery - Can't Print FAXes...

CAN ANYONE HELP.

I can replicate this issue on multiple computers, and this is definately a
BUG in VISTA.

Any nobody from Microsoft has even bothered to answer, ask for a TIFF file,
or even try to verify it's a bug (or even said that it's been sent to the bug
team.)
Nick Poore

RE: Windows Photo Gallery - Can't Print FAXes...
SO NICE TO SEE THAT NOBODY AT MICROSOFT ACTUALLY WANTS TO AKNOWLEDGE WHEN
THERE IS AN ISSUE.
DevilsPGD

Re: Windows Photo Gallery - Can't Print FAXes...
In message <A50CF0BC-6AA3-416C-87F4-26AB4BD497FC@microsoft.com> Nick
Poore <NickPoore@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>SO NICE TO SEE THAT NOBODY AT MICROSOFT ACTUALLY WANTS TO AKNOWLEDGE WHEN
>THERE IS AN ISSUE.

These are user to user discussion groups, and not an official Microsoft
support channel.