Very slow Epson printer?

BrianSue

Very slow Epson printer?

::All phases of the printer operation run very slowly with all programs.
It is a matter of Click and wait for probably over a minute and
sometimes longer – not just a few seconds delay.::
:: ::
::If this is not the correct place to ask we hope you can link us to
other possible help sites.::
:: ::
::Window Vista Home Premium SP1::
::Intel Core 2 Duo T8300 2.40GHz::
::4.00 RAM 32-bit Operating System::
:ell Inspiron 1420::
::Epson Stylus Photo RX595 Series and/or Epson Stylus Photo R220::
::Microsoft Office Word 2003::
:: ::
::Printer will eventually print with a lot of coaxing and figuring out
what changes to make – buttons to push – jumping through hoops etc.::
::::
::We have been in contact with Epson and have uninstalled and
re-intalled and downloaded new drivers repeatedly. Epson says the
problem is the computer. Dell doesn't seem to know.::
:: ::
::Word seems to be the worst. Other programs are also very slow. We
have not used all programs or tried to print from all programs so do not
know if there are other issues.::
:: ::
::Here are some of the error messages we see when trying to print a
Word document. We can do screen shots of error messages but hope this is
enough to give some idea of what we see when we try to print.::
:: ::
::1.- The printer has not yet responded, but the Microsoft Office
program may be able to proceed without printer information. Do you want
to continue to wait for the printer? -Clickable options are- YES or
NO::
:: ::
::2.- -Click NO and another error window opens – heading is-::
::MICROSOFT OFFICE WORD::
:: ::
::Word cannot print, there is no printer installed.::
:: ::
-::Say YES::-
::MICROSOFT OFFICE WORD 2003::
::Windows cannot print due to a problem with the current printer
setup.::
:: ::
::Try one of the following:::
::Check the printer by printing a test page from Windows.::
::Make sure the printer is turned on and online.::
::Reinstall the printer driver.::
:-we don’t know what they mean or how to print a test page from
Windows-)::
:: ::
::3.- Print Setup::
:: ::
:efault Printer Epson Stylus Photo RX595 Series ::
::Printers::
-:ptions::-
::Microsoft Office Document Image Writer::
::Epson Stylus Photo RX595 Series::
'::\\HPPAVILION\ Epson Stylus Photo R220::'
(file://hppavilion/%20Epson%20Stylus%20Photo%20R220):: Series::
-:we have to double click on RX595 every time we want to print)::-
:: ::
::Set as Default Printer::
::Setting the default printer or options will affect Word and all other
Windows-based applications.::
:: ::
::Options Close::
:: ::
::-Click options and another window opens- >::
::Microsoft Office Word::
::Word cannot bring up the properties dialog because the printer
returned an error.::
:: ::
::After a lot of work we can sometimes get a Word document printed.::
:: ::
::Thanks for any help.::

--
BrianSue
Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Very slow Epson printer?
To what is the printer connected? A USB port on the back of the PC, a USB
port on the front of the PC, to a hub (powered or unpowered) which is
connected to the PC, or to a network connection?
--
Cari (MS-MVP) Printing & Imaging
www.coribright.com/windows

"BrianSue" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> [...]
> -:ptions::-
> ::Microsoft Office Document Image Writer::
> ::Epson Stylus Photo RX595 Series::
> '::\\HPPAVILION\ Epson Stylus Photo R220::'
> (file://hppavilion/%20Epson%20Stylus%20Photo%20R220):: Series::
> -:we have to double click on RX595 every time we want to print)::-
> :: ::
> ::Set as Default Printer::
> ::Setting the default printer or options will affect Word and all other
> Windows-based applications.::
> :: ::
> ::Options Close::
> :: ::
> ::-Click options and another window opens- >::
> ::Microsoft Office Word::
> ::Word cannot bring up the properties dialog because the printer
> returned an error.::
> :: ::
> ::After a lot of work we can sometimes get a Word document printed.::

BrianSue

Re: Very slow Epson printer?

This Dell Inspiron has 4 USB ports - two toward the front on left - two
stacked near the rear on right - printer is in USB001 which is the top
port right rear - almost everything we do with this system related to
printer is extremely slow - other system function with Vista also slow -
problem may be related to Vista more than Word as this happens with all
programs but more and worse with Word - we have two printers - Epson
R220 and RX595 - both work fine with our other computers running XP -
we had this printer connected to other computer running on home network
where it was fine on the other computer but slow when we tried to run
from Dell with Vista - connected to Dell with Vista direct as we thought
it might be something with network but it is as bad or worse now -
worked with Epson to uninstall and reinstall and download and install
driver over and over again - Epson says it is computer and not printer -
probably Vista related - thanks for any help

--
BrianSue
Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Very slow Epson printer?
verify that the BUD file was generated for the device. The BUD file is a
compiled version of the GPD file for the printer located in
\windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3 and named the same name as the
printer GPD but has BUD as the file extension..

If the BUD file is not generated the spooler will parse the GPD text file
line by line to determine the printer descriptions which is really slow.

If the BUD file is not there, you will need to create it by opening the
printers folder, right click the printer, Run as administrator, Properties,
Advanced, Printing default.

Change something there and close the dialog box, You can change the setting
back later

Check for the BUD file.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

> This Dell Inspiron has 4 USB ports - two toward the front on left - two
> stacked near the rear on right - printer is in USB001 which is the top
> port right rear - almost everything we do with this system related to
> printer is extremely slow - other system function with Vista also slow -
> problem may be related to Vista more than Word as this happens with all
> programs but more and worse with Word - we have two printers - Epson
> R220 and RX595 - both work fine with our other computers running XP -
> we had this printer connected to other computer running on home network
> where it was fine on the other computer but slow when we tried to run
> from Dell with Vista - connected to Dell with Vista direct as we thought
> it might be something with network but it is as bad or worse now -
> worked with Epson to uninstall and reinstall and download and install
> driver over and over again - Epson says it is computer and not printer -
> probably Vista related - thanks for any help
>

> --
> BrianSue

BrianSue

Re: Very slow Epson printer?

Thanks Alan, but you pretty much lost me. We are not all that computer
literate. We can figure some stuff out but a lot of what you said is
over our heads. We need more specific instruction about how to get to
places and what to do once we are there. Some of the words you use are
not in our vocabulary. I was able to get into the printer folder and did
what you said up to a point - but not sure what to do or how - change
something there? Don't know what GPD or BUD is - don't know spooler or
parse? - don't know what \windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3 is
or where it is or how to get there? Tried Copy&Paste to Start Search but
it took me to Google? We've been using computers for over 20 years but
mostly on the surface and not into the nuts and bolts without specific
instruction. Thanks for trying.

--
BrianSue
Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Very slow Epson printer?
I'll assume the BUD file has not been generated.

printer
Run as administrator

Properties

Printing defaults

change any of the setting on this page. I have no clue what these setting
are. If there is anything for Photo printer or draft just record the
original setting and change the setting to something else.

Close the dialogs

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

> Thanks Alan, but you pretty much lost me. We are not all that computer
> literate. We can figure some stuff out but a lot of what you said is
> over our heads. We need more specific instruction about how to get to
> places and what to do once we are there. Some of the words you use are
> not in our vocabulary. I was able to get into the printer folder and did
> what you said up to a point - but not sure what to do or how - change
> something there? Don't know what GPD or BUD is - don't know spooler or
> parse? - don't know what \windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3 is
> or where it is or how to get there? Tried Copy&Paste to Start Search but
> it took me to Google? We've been using computers for over 20 years but
> mostly on the surface and not into the nuts and bolts without specific
> instruction. Thanks for trying.
>

> --
> BrianSue

BrianSue

Re: Very slow Epson printer?

Thanks again Alan. I do know how to get in and do the printer changes
and defaults or whatever. I went in and changed things like Print
Preview - it was on - turned it off. No help there. Everything about the
print process is slow. Open a file and click File - Print - and wait at
least 2 - 3 minutes. Finally get the options window and click to Print
and wait maybe 5 minutes. No special requests or color or anything in
settings or request. Simple one page text document. So we had Print
Preview on and I turned it off and tried to print. Same long wait. And
we still get the Print Preview pop up window on screen. Went in to
Printer Properties again to check and Print Preview is off but we still
get the Preview. I really think this is a Vista problem but we have only
had Vista a month or so and are not very experienced with it. Don't yet
know how to tweak many things in there. Made no original changes when
installing printer - no changes with new drivers and uninstall or
reinstall or new downloads from Epson. Don't see anything in Printer
Properties to indicate any special requirements. Vista seems generally
slow - like typing letters on page do not keep up with my fingers and I
am not that fast at typing - some programs slow to open/start - there
seems to be some time lag for almost everything but Printer is by far
the worst.

--
BrianSue
puzzled

RE: Very slow Epson printer?
HiNot a Vista problem. this is happening to me too &amp; I have Windows XP- it just started happening over the last 2 weeks, but has got to the point where it will not print from word (2003). The 'test page' from windows help prints fine, as do intenet pages....but word cannot get a response from the printer which IS the default printer &amp; I have tried re-installing the driver a few times too. aaaarrrrgggghhhhh!

BrianSue

Re: Very slow Epson printer?

Thanks for your help. The reason I think it is Vista is the printers run
slow in all programs we have tried. It is worse in Word but very slow in
others too. When we first click Print it takes several minutes for the
Print window to open. Whatever else we do once the Print window opens
also takes quite a long time. We can get it to print in other programs
but only sometimes in Word. We have two other computers running XP and
Word and they work just fine - no delays - no problem printing. This is
a new computer so we haven't messed around with it much and we have not
changed any of the default settings for the printers. We have downloaded
a few programs that did not come with the computer but not very much.
Maybe something is causing the problem but we don't know enough to know
where it might come from. Thanks for any help.