Windows Fax & Scan Won't Open

Gerry

Windows Fax & Scan Won't Open
I'm running Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit version. I moved my Documents
folder from the C:\ drive to my E:\ Data drive some time ago. When I open
the Start Menu I now see "Data (E" on the button that used to read
"Documents." I moved the folder to E:\ by right-clicking on the default
"Documents" label, entering Properties/Location and indicating that I wanted
the new location to be E:\ . The system did this, placing the Documents
folder under E:\. This has not caused any problem until I tried to open
Windows Fax & Scan today and I received a dialog window reading: "Windows Fax
and Scan cannot run as it cannot access your documents folder. Please ensure
that Windows Fax and Scan can access that folder." That's all very logical,
but it doesn't tell me how to do this. How can I point Fax and Scan to the
new location of my Documents folder?
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Re: Windows Fax & Scan Won't Open
Answer posted many times. Never move your Documents to the root.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Gerry" <Gerry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm running Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit version. I moved my Documents
> folder from the C:\ drive to my E:\ Data drive some time ago. When I open
> the Start Menu I now see "Data (E" on the button that used to read
> "Documents." I moved the folder to E:\ by right-clicking on the default
> "Documents" label, entering Properties/Location and indicating that I
> wanted
> the new location to be E:\ . The system did this, placing the Documents
> folder under E:\. This has not caused any problem until I tried to open
> Windows Fax & Scan today and I received a dialog window reading: "Windows
> Fax
> and Scan cannot run as it cannot access your documents folder. Please
> ensure
> that Windows Fax and Scan can access that folder." That's all very
> logical,
> but it doesn't tell me how to do this. How can I point Fax and Scan to
> the
> new location of my Documents folder?

Gerry

Re: Windows Fax & Scan Won't Open
I'm sorry, Mr. Valentine, that I didn't know the answer has been posted many
times. Perhaps that is due to the fact that I've never visited this
discussion group before and thus was unaware of previous posts. Since I
apparently am ignorant enough to have already moved Documents to the root, I
wonder if you might know the answer to the question: How can I point Fax and

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> Answer posted many times. Never move your Documents to the root.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Gerry" <Gerry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm running Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit version. I moved my Documents
> > folder from the C:\ drive to my E:\ Data drive some time ago. When I open
> > the Start Menu I now see "Data (E" on the button that used to read
> > "Documents." I moved the folder to E:\ by right-clicking on the default
> > "Documents" label, entering Properties/Location and indicating that I
> > wanted
> > the new location to be E:\ . The system did this, placing the Documents
> > folder under E:\. This has not caused any problem until I tried to open
> > Windows Fax & Scan today and I received a dialog window reading: "Windows
> > Fax
> > and Scan cannot run as it cannot access your documents folder. Please
> > ensure
> > that Windows Fax and Scan can access that folder." That's all very
> > logical,
> > but it doesn't tell me how to do this. How can I point Fax and Scan to
> > the
> > new location of my Documents folder?

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Re: Windows Fax & Scan Won't Open
Move your Documents somewhere else.
--
> I'm sorry, Mr. Valentine, that I didn't know the answer has been posted
> many
> times. Perhaps that is due to the fact that I've never visited this
> discussion group before and thus was unaware of previous posts. Since I
> apparently am ignorant enough to have already moved Documents to the root,
> wonder if you might know the answer to the question: How can I point Fax
> and
> Scan to the new location of my Documents folder?
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> Answer posted many times. Never move your Documents to the root.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "Gerry" <Gerry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I'm running Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit version. I moved my
>> > Documents
>> > folder from the C:\ drive to my E:\ Data drive some time ago. When I
>> > open
>> > the Start Menu I now see "Data (E" on the button that used to read
>> > "Documents." I moved the folder to E:\ by right-clicking on the
>> > default
>> > "Documents" label, entering Properties/Location and indicating that I
>> > wanted
>> > the new location to be E:\ . The system did this, placing the
>> > Documents
>> > folder under E:\. This has not caused any problem until I tried to
>> > open
>> > Windows Fax & Scan today and I received a dialog window reading:
>> > "Windows
>> > Fax
>> > and Scan cannot run as it cannot access your documents folder. Please
>> > ensure
>> > that Windows Fax and Scan can access that folder." That's all very
>> > logical,
>> > but it doesn't tell me how to do this. How can I point Fax and Scan to
>> > the
>> > new location of my Documents folder?

Gerry

Re: Windows Fax & Scan Won't Open
The problem is that when I right-click on the Documents folder under E:\ and
go to its Properties, there is no Location tab and therefore no Move button.
I assume from your previous answer that I should have established a new
Documents folder under E:\ before I changed the location from under
C:\Users\Gerry, but since I didn't, it now appears that my entire E:\
partition, not just the Documents folder, is in the default path for
Documents. Short of another clean install of Vista Ultimate (which I did 60
days ago), is there another way to move my Documents somewhere else?

> Move your Documents somewhere else.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Gerry" <Gerry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I'm sorry, Mr. Valentine, that I didn't know the answer has been posted
>> many
>> times. Perhaps that is due to the fact that I've never visited this
>> discussion group before and thus was unaware of previous posts. Since I
>> apparently am ignorant enough to have already moved Documents to the
>> root, I
>> wonder if you might know the answer to the question: How can I point Fax
>> and
>> Scan to the new location of my Documents folder?
>>
>> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>>
>>> Answer posted many times. Never move your Documents to the root.
>>> --
>>> Russ Valentine
>>> [MVP-Outlook]

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Re: Windows Fax & Scan Won't Open
Reposting and quoting directly from the developers:
We have noticed some issues that WFS is facing when the documents folder is
redirected to the root of a drive (e.g. d:\) and are investigating the same.
A quick workaround is to move the documents folder to a folder under the
root of the drive (e.g. to d:\DocumentFolder) with the option to move all
existing documents to the new location. This should allow WFS to work.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Gerry" <gmfry2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> The problem is that when I right-click on the Documents folder under E:\
> and go to its Properties, there is no Location tab and therefore no Move
> button. I assume from your previous answer that I should have established
> a new Documents folder under E:\ before I changed the location from under
> C:\Users\Gerry, but since I didn't, it now appears that my entire E:\
> partition, not just the Documents folder, is in the default path for
> Documents. Short of another clean install of Vista Ultimate (which I did
> 60 days ago), is there another way to move my Documents somewhere else?
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Move your Documents somewhere else.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "Gerry" <Gerry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> I'm sorry, Mr. Valentine, that I didn't know the answer has been posted
>>> many
>>> times. Perhaps that is due to the fact that I've never visited this
>>> discussion group before and thus was unaware of previous posts. Since I
>>> apparently am ignorant enough to have already moved Documents to the
>>> root, I
>>> wonder if you might know the answer to the question: How can I point Fax
>>> and
>>> Scan to the new location of my Documents folder?

Gerry

Re: Windows Fax & Scan Won't Open
Thank you, Russ. I'm going on vacation tomorrow, but will give this a try
when I return. I HATE when I screw things up!