Re: IE7 & Vista printing problems

[X-post to Vista Print_Fax_Scan newsgroup]

Can you print if you start IE with Protected Mode disabled?

> When I pasted
> "ICACLS "%userprofile%\AppData\Local\Temp\Low" /setintegritylevel
> (OI)(CI)low"
> into run, it simply did a very quick flash of a small black screen

Say your User Account is named Chris12: Did you replace %userprofile% with
Chris12 before running the Command, such that the line read...

ICACLS "%Chris12%\AppData\Local\Temp\Low" /setintegritylevel
(OI)(CI)low

Just a question, not a recommendation or suggestion: Are you running Vista
or Vista SP1?

(if any)?

Do you use a "Registry cleaner"?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Chris12 wrote:
> I followed the instructions you gave me. However, I still don't have the
> ability to print in protected mode. When I went to create the "Low"
> folder
> it already existed. So I merged the new with the old. When I pasted
> "ICACLS "%userprofile%\AppData\Local\Temp\Low" /setintegritylevel
> (OI)(CI)low"
> into run, it simply did a very quick flash of a small black screen and
> didn't give me the message:
> processed file: C:\Users\Bill Castner\AppData\Local\Temp\Low
> Successfully processed 1 files; Failed processing 0 files
> as you indicated.
> Still could use some help, thanks again
>

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> IE | Tools | Internet Options | Security | uncheck/disable Enable
>> Protected
>> Mode | Close then re-open IE and see if you can print in IE | Now
>> re-enable
>> Protected Mode (IMPORTANT!).
>>
>> If you can print with Protected Mode disabled, IE is using folders for
>> temporary storage that are not set to a Low integrity level.
>>
>> Vista creates the necessary folders for printing by default in the %TEMP%
>> folder but many third-party disk cleaning tools (and even some anti-virus
>> applications; e.g., AVG [1]) mistakenly remove it.
>>
>> To recreate the required Low Integrity folder:
>>
>> • Browse to the Temp folder of your user account; e.g,.
>> C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Temp;
>>
>> • Create a new folder named Low; e.g.,
>> C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Temp\Low
>>
>> • Start | Run | type or copy/paste the following line (exactly as you see
>> it) into the Command box:
>>
>> ICACLS "%userprofile%\AppData\Local\Temp\Low" /setintegritylevel
>> (OI)(CI)low
>>
>> • Use the keyboard combination CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER to run the Command with
>> Administrator priviliges.
>>
>> • You should see a message similar to the following:
>>
>> processed file: C:\Users\Bill Castner\AppData\Local\Temp\Low
>> Successfully processed 1 files; Failed processing 0 files
>>
>> • You should now be able to print with IE running in Protected Mode.
>>
>> Detailed discussion of the above:
>> http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r204...nt-print-in-IE
>>
>> [The above courtesy of MVP Bill Castner]
>> [1] Some AVG Anti-Virus users have found that uninstalling AVG and
>> replacing it with another AV app resolves the problem. YMMV.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>

>> Chris12 wrote:
>>> My printer is working fine with all other applications except for
>>> Internet
>>> Explorer 7.0. When I try to print from IE I get no response
>>> whatsoever--no
>>> error message, no system promblems, it just doesn't do anything. I am
>>> using
>>> Windows Vista Home Premium and my printer is an HP PSC 1510 All-in-one.
>>> really could use some help. Thanks

Chris12

Re: IE7 & Vista printing problems
Yes, I can print with IE protected mode disabled.
No, I did not replace %userprofile% with chris
I am running Vista SP1 I believe
I am using "Ad-aware" and "AVG-free" and occasionally use "Max registry
cleaner"

Re: IE7 & Vista printing problems
> No, I did not replace %userprofile% with chris

Try it.

AVG Free AV has been known to cause this behavior. Uninstall it via
Add/Remove Programs and then install Avast4, Avira AntiVir (both free), or
another AV of your choice (NOT Norton or McAfee, please), then see if the
behavior persists.

Injudicious use of that Registry cleaner might be the cause of this, too.

Think your Registry needs "cleaning" or "repairing"? Read
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099 and draw your own conclusions.

Chris12 wrote:
> Yes, I can print with IE protected mode disabled.
> No, I did not replace %userprofile% with chris
> I am running Vista SP1 I believe
> I am using "Ad-aware" and "AVG-free" and occasionally use "Max registry
> cleaner"

Chris12

Re: IE7 & Vista printing problems
I finally got is working. Thanks a lot. I really appreciate your help.

Re: IE7 & Vista printing problems
YW, Chris, and thanks for your feedback.

Chris12 wrote:
> I finally got is working. Thanks a lot. I really appreciate your help.

<paste>