Can't send a fax in Vista as a client to SBS 2003 R2

ejskyz is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can't send a fax in Vista as a client to SBS 2003 R2
I've setup the SBS 2003 R2 with the Fax server configured and it can recieve a fax. I've pushed the client fax ware out to all of the workstations which have Vista Ultimate SP1. I've configured the Windows Fax and scan to the fax server on the SBS 2003 by the server's name. But when I go to send a test fax it states that "it couldn't find a coverpage" and I've clicked ok and it goes to send it anyway then it states " the message could not be sent. The media is write protected." But the media was created on the Windows Fax and Scan interface.
Has anyone come accross this issue?
ObieOne

Re: Can't send a fax in Vista as a client to SBS 2003 R2

Are you using Virtual PC??

I have same problems and found this link:

http://www.vistaheads.com/forums/mic...protected.html

Maybe it's related.
Arno

edit...
Or maybe this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930136/

--
ObieOne
ObieOne's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?u=34210

http://forums.techarena.in

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Re: Can't send a fax in Vista as a client to SBS 2003 R2
Are the connections to the fax server otherwise intact, i.e., can you send
faxes from the clients that do not involve cover pages?
You said that you pushed the fax client out to all workstations, then you
said you were using WFS. Which are you using?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"ejskyz" <ejskyz.3bfi8c@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> I've setup the SBS 2003 R2 with the Fax server configured and it can
> recieve a fax. I've pushed the client fax ware out to all of the
> workstations which have Vista Ultimate SP1. I've configured the Windows
> Fax and scan to the fax server on the SBS 2003 by the server's name. But
> when I go to send a test fax it states that "it couldn't find a
> coverpage" and I've clicked ok and it goes to send it anyway then it
> states " the message could not be sent. The media is write protected."
> But the media was created on the Windows Fax and Scan interface.
> Has anyone come accross this issue?
>

> --
> ejskyz

ejskyz is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No I don't have Virtrual PC installed.
I didn't install virtural pc 2007 or any virtural pc. This is a new network setup where there are five workstations. four of the workstations have Vista Ultimate and the other is XPpro SP2 (laptop) and I've added them to the domain. The server is Small Business Server 2003 R2 (SBS03R2) with all of its updates including the KB926505. I've installed a PCI Faxmodem manufactured by Zoom. Then I updated driver and configured the modem card for dial rules as default settings. Then I setup the fax server using the todo list wizard and only selected for the inbound faxes to goto a shared folder which allows everybody to have full controll. Then after completing the wizard I gave every user Fax operator rights and then went to application push wizard to push the new shares fax client to all five workstations. Then I went to each workstation loged off and loged onto the domain as each user which I've gave each user rights as administrator on each computer and installed the fax client feature. On the Vista Computers I didn't get an error message after it installed so I loged off and then logged back on like microsoft stated in their KB article on how to setup the fax clients. Then I had some one send me a test fax and I was able to recieve it and view it on all of the workstations. Then I went to send a test fax and on the xppro workstaion recieved an error on it can't send due to the firewall not allowing it to be sent. But on the Vista workstations I recieved two messages. When I send the new fax it guided me to setup a network fax server or local which I've setup the fax server and gave the server's name and it went alright. Then went to create / send a fax from within the Windows Fax and Send console and recieved a message that stated It could not find a cover page, so I selected okay. Then it seemed to allow me to type in the fax number and type a message which I did. Then when I pressed the send button it gave another message stating It couldn't send message and "the media is write protected." Now I'm stumped at what it could be any suggestions?

ejskyz is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey ObieOne,
I've left a response on the bullitent board. Iguess that's what you do to respond back? ejskyz

ejskyz is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How do you enable the sending faxes on the fax server on a SBS03R2?
vista stuff

Re: Can't send a fax in Vista as a client to SBS 2003 R2

I had the same problem today with Vista. Read the same problem
description online in different sites about "fixes."
Resolution: Opened the operating system in safe mode and when restarted
normally, it was fixed. Don't know why. On restart tap the F8 function
key.

Already had this, but did not work:
logged on in administrator mode
opened applications run as administrator
selected "everyone" to have access to programs and files involved

I don't know what was fixed by opening as safe mode. Thought it may
have been the new virus protection, but guess that was not it. It
looked like permissions, but think it actually may be something else,
but comes up looking like "cannot send fax as media is write protected."

I did not find any Init conflicts-software memory conflicts.

Hope this helps.

--
vista stuff
vista stuff's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/vista-stuff.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Re: Can't send a fax in Vista as a client to SBS 2003 R2
Can you think of any other software you are running that might connect to or
initialize your modem? What steps produced that error message?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"vista stuff" <vista.stuff.3ofqrb@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> I had the same problem today with Vista. Read the same problem
> description online in different sites about "fixes."
> Resolution: Opened the operating system in safe mode and when restarted
> normally, it was fixed. Don't know why. On restart tap the F8 function
> key.
>
> Already had this, but did not work:
> logged on in administrator mode
> opened applications run as administrator
> selected "everyone" to have access to programs and files involved
>
> I don't know what was fixed by opening as safe mode. Thought it may
> have been the new virus protection, but guess that was not it. It
> looked like permissions, but think it actually may be something else,
> but comes up looking like "cannot send fax as media is write protected."
>
> I did not find any Init conflicts-software memory conflicts.
>
> Hope this helps.
>

> --
> vista stuff
> vista stuff's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/vista-stuff.htm
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-print-fax/990372.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

vista stuff

Re: Can't send a fax in Vista as a client to SBS 2003 R2

I do not have a problem anymore, but thanks for asking.

Funny thing that happened after the F8 boot (Safe) and restart in
normal mode: the screen refreshed to being Windows Standard instead of
Aero. Don't know if something in Aero conflicted or just happened to
reset that way. Doesn't matter to me. It's working now.

The only Init conflict I could think of may have been the Instant
Messenger grabbing the phone line from the FAX. I'm using Yahoo. It
did not reset with exiting the program or a regular reboot- didn't fix
it. The safe mode with AT&T Messenger already off may have released it,
associated with the phone line. I'm guessing.

If it happens again, I'll let you know.