Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Brother HL-2170W

microsoft.public.windows.vista.print fax scan






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-21-2008
Howard Kaikow
 

Posts: n/a
Brother HL-2170W
Network has Win 2000 Pro desktop and Vista Home Premium notebook.
Connected via D-Link DIR-655 router.

Installed printer on network, running from Vista system.
Then from Windows 2000 system.

In Network, I see both

BRNsomestring, icon is monitor connected to something (a tower or router?)
Brother HL-2170W series [somestring], icon is a printer

And in folder tree, BRNsomestring is listed, as well as both computers in
the network.

Why are there two icons?


Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-21-2008
Howard Kaikow
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Brother HL-2170W
"Howard Kaikow" <kaikow@standards.com> wrote in message
news:OfJff0y0IHA.416@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Network has Win 2000 Pro desktop and Vista Home Premium notebook.
> Connected via D-Link DIR-655 router.
>
> Installed printer on network, running from Vista system.
> Then from Windows 2000 system.
>
> In Network, I see both
>
> BRNsomestring, icon is monitor connected to something (a tower or router?)
> Brother HL-2170W series [somestring], icon is a printer
>
> And in folder tree, BRNsomestring is listed, as well as both computers in
> the network.
>
> Why are there two icons?


If I change the View to details, I see that:

BRNsomestring is listed as "Computer" in WORKGROUP
Brother HL-2170W series [somestring] is listed as "Printers"


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 06-23-2008
Alan Morris [MSFT]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Brother HL-2170W
the BRNxxxxxx is the hostname of the network card of the printer. This is
basically the same as the network name of your computer.

The network card of the printer supports several methods for printing to the
device.


--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team
Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
http://support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

"Howard Kaikow" <kaikow@standards.com> wrote in message
news:emqst3y0IHA.548@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> "Howard Kaikow" <kaikow@standards.com> wrote in message
> news:OfJff0y0IHA.416@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>> Network has Win 2000 Pro desktop and Vista Home Premium notebook.
>> Connected via D-Link DIR-655 router.
>>
>> Installed printer on network, running from Vista system.
>> Then from Windows 2000 system.
>>
>> In Network, I see both
>>
>> BRNsomestring, icon is monitor connected to something (a tower or
>> router?)
>> Brother HL-2170W series [somestring], icon is a printer
>>
>> And in folder tree, BRNsomestring is listed, as well as both computers in
>> the network.
>>
>> Why are there two icons?

>
> If I change the View to details, I see that:
>
> BRNsomestring is listed as "Computer" in WORKGROUP
> Brother HL-2170W series [somestring] is listed as "Printers"
>
>



Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 06-29-2008
Howard Kaikow
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Brother HL-2170W
"Alan Morris [MSFT]" <alanmo@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:uRTw0RV1IHA.2064@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> the BRNxxxxxx is the hostname of the network card of the printer. This is
> basically the same as the network name of your computer.
>
> The network card of the printer supports several methods for printing to

the
> device.


Thanx.


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FTC Wants to Know What Big Brother Knows About You Steve Security News 0 05-22-2008 04:20
Big Brother Pro 1.3.15 Secured Security & Privacy Software Feed 0 03-03-2008 21:00
Oh brother dubya microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 8 12-04-2007 07:54
Bug Brother Benji microsoft.public.fr.windows.vista.general 1 10-03-2007 17:59
brother MFC 440-CN raccoonrick microsoft.public.windows.vista.print fax scan 1 05-14-2007 19:43




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 18:00.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120