Brother MFC 5440CN

goldpony

Brother MFC 5440CN
I have a Brother MFC 5440CN and I can't get my fax into my Window Vista.
What am I doing wrong?

--
Lauria

Hal Hostetler [MVP P/I]

Re: Brother MFC 5440CN
If you mean you aren't able to tell Windows Fax and Scan to use your Brother
MFC device to send and receive faxes, this is normal behavior; Windows Fax
and Scan can only use an analog fax modem to send and receive faxes.
Brother may have included a fax driver for their MFC device. This would
need to be installed per Brother's documentation. If you've done this and
it doesn't work, the folks at Brother are who you need to talk to.

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
Live at Hot Licks - www.badnewsbluesband.com

"goldpony" <goldpony@windstream.net> wrote in message
> I have a Brother MFC 5440CN and I can't get my fax into my Window Vista.
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> --
> Lauria

goldpony

Re: Brother MFC 5440CN
I don't think that I have Windows Fax... Where can I get one?
Lauria

"Hal Hostetler [MVP P/I]" <hhh@kvoa.com> wrote in message
> If you mean you aren't able to tell Windows Fax and Scan to use your
> Brother
> MFC device to send and receive faxes, this is normal behavior; Windows Fax
> and Scan can only use an analog fax modem to send and receive faxes.
> Brother may have included a fax driver for their MFC device. This would
> need to be installed per Brother's documentation. If you've done this and
> it doesn't work, the folks at Brother are who you need to talk to.
>
> Hal
> --
> Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
> Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-Print/Imaging -- WA7BGX
> Live at Hot Licks - www.badnewsbluesband.com
>
> "goldpony" <goldpony@windstream.net> wrote in message
>> I have a Brother MFC 5440CN and I can't get my fax into my Window Vista.
>> What am I doing wrong?
>>
>> --
>> Lauria

Hal Hostetler [MVP P/I]

Re: Brother MFC 5440CN
Windows Fax and Scan is included with Windows Vista Business and Ultimate
versions, it is not included with, nor can it be acquired for Vista Home and
Basic versions. If you have Vista Business or Ultimate, it is available
from 'Control Panel|Programs and Features|Turn Windows Features on or off'.
If you have Home or Basic, these third party fax applications are compatible
with Vista:

Snappy Fax
http://www.snappysoftware.com/
RKSFax
http://www.rkssoftware.com/rksfax/overview.html
VentaFax
http://www.ventafax.com/
FaxTalk FaxCenter Pro 7.5
http://www.faxtalk.com/products/ftfcp/index.htm

I've seen reports that the free version of BVRP works with Vista also:

http://www.usr.com/bvrp/bvrp.asp
BVRP PhoneTools

Since the above comes bundled with new USR modems, I don't know if it will
work with non-USR modems. Note that NONE of these products are designed to
work with the Fax section of an All-In-One device, they're all made for use
with an analog fax modem. The only way you can use your computer to fax
with your 5440CN is if Brother provided a driver to do it.

Hal
--

> I don't think that I have Windows Fax... Where can I get one?
> Lauria
>
> "Hal Hostetler [MVP P/I]" <hhh@kvoa.com> wrote in message
> > If you mean you aren't able to tell Windows Fax and Scan to use your
> > Brother
> > MFC device to send and receive faxes, this is normal behavior; Windows

Fax
> > and Scan can only use an analog fax modem to send and receive faxes.
> > Brother may have included a fax driver for their MFC device. This would
> > need to be installed per Brother's documentation. If you've done this

and
> > it doesn't work, the folks at Brother are who you need to talk to.
> >
> > Hal
> > --
> > Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
> > Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-Print/Imaging -- WA7BGX
> > http://www.kvoa.com -- "When News breaks, we fix it!"
> > KVOA Television, Tucson, AZ. NBC Channel 4
> > Live at Hot Licks - www.badnewsbluesband.com
> >
> > "goldpony" <goldpony@windstream.net> wrote in message
> >> I have a Brother MFC 5440CN and I can't get my fax into my Window

Vista.
> >> What am I doing wrong?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Lauria

goldpony

Re: Brother MFC 5440CN
Oh, thank you, Hal. I surely appreciate it. Which one do you prefer??
Thanks,