Parallel printer requires constant re-inserting into USB hub

rh0000

Parallel printer requires constant re-inserting into USB hub
I have a Toshiba laptop running Vista home basic. I use an HP laserjet 1100
parallel printer which I plug (via a USB-to-parallel converter cable) into a
USB hub which feeds into one of the USB ports on my laptop. Very often, when
I try to print (Word document, web page, pdf file, anything) nothing happens
until I remove the converter cable from the USB hub and then reconnect it.
After I have done this, the printer will then work fine from then on, but
will then stop working whenever I reboot the computer. If, when I reach the
point at which "nothing happens", I remove and rejoin the converter cable
from the printer cable, or remove and rejoin the printer cable from the
printer, that doesn't solve the problem. And if I have an extension USB cable
joining the USB hub to the converter cable, and remove and rejoin the
converter cable from the extension cable, that doesn't solve the problem
either. The only thing which works is removing the cable from the USB hub and
then reinserting it, and this usually works every time. It's not a big
problem, but it's irritating to have to scrabble around about the cables. Any
suggestions as to what is going on and how I might be able to get my printer
to start each time without having to fiddle about with the leads?

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Parallel printer requires constant re-inserting into USB hub
Does this combination (USB conversion to LPT cable, HP 1100) work on another
machine (XP)?

Is the USB hub powered? Make sure the USB ports on the laptop are
configured such that they don't go to low power state.

The next thing to do is ask HP if they recommend a specific USB to LPT
conversion cable for this device. Most likely they will tell you to get a
newer USB device but you can try.

A docking station with LPT port could be one solution but I've seen docking
stations that connect to USB and you are back in the same boat. A network
print server device for LPT printers is also another option.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"rh0000" <rh0000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a Toshiba laptop running Vista home basic. I use an HP laserjet 1100
> parallel printer which I plug (via a USB-to-parallel converter cable) into
> USB hub which feeds into one of the USB ports on my laptop. Very often,
> when
> I try to print (Word document, web page, pdf file, anything) nothing
> happens
> until I remove the converter cable from the USB hub and then reconnect it.
> After I have done this, the printer will then work fine from then on, but
> will then stop working whenever I reboot the computer. If, when I reach
> the
> point at which "nothing happens", I remove and rejoin the converter cable
> from the printer cable, or remove and rejoin the printer cable from the
> printer, that doesn't solve the problem. And if I have an extension USB
> cable
> joining the USB hub to the converter cable, and remove and rejoin the
> converter cable from the extension cable, that doesn't solve the problem
> either. The only thing which works is removing the cable from the USB hub
> and
> then reinserting it, and this usually works every time. It's not a big
> problem, but it's irritating to have to scrabble around about the cables.
> Any
> suggestions as to what is going on and how I might be able to get my
> printer
> to start each time without having to fiddle about with the leads?

Tom Ferguson

Re: Parallel printer requires constant re-inserting into USB hub
Alan pretty well covers it. However, I am wondering if the problem persists
with a direct connection between USB-parallel converter cable rather than
through the USB hub. As well, in this connection, I also wonder if the USB
hub is independently powered or draws its power from the USB port.
--

Tom
MSMVP 1998-2007

"rh0000" <rh0000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a Toshiba laptop running Vista home basic. I use an HP laserjet 1100
> parallel printer which I plug (via a USB-to-parallel converter cable) into
> USB hub which feeds into one of the USB ports on my laptop. Very often,
> when
> I try to print (Word document, web page, pdf file, anything) nothing
> happens
> until I remove the converter cable from the USB hub and then reconnect it.
> After I have done this, the printer will then work fine from then on, but
> will then stop working whenever I reboot the computer. If, when I reach
> the
> point at which "nothing happens", I remove and rejoin the converter cable
> from the printer cable, or remove and rejoin the printer cable from the
> printer, that doesn't solve the problem. And if I have an extension USB
> cable
> joining the USB hub to the converter cable, and remove and rejoin the
> converter cable from the extension cable, that doesn't solve the problem
> either. The only thing which works is removing the cable from the USB hub
> and
> then reinserting it, and this usually works every time. It's not a big
> problem, but it's irritating to have to scrabble around about the cables.
> Any
> suggestions as to what is going on and how I might be able to get my
> printer
> to start each time without having to fiddle about with the leads?

rh0000

Re: Parallel printer requires constant re-inserting into USB hub
Thanks for your reply. I don't have access to any XP machine, only my Vista
laptop. (My previous PC ran Windows ME and had a parallel port.) The
difficulty arises whether I use a powered or unpowered hub. I will look into
whether HP recommend anything, but it's odd that my USB to parallel cable
works after it has been inserted into the hub, but not before, so I would be
surprised if a different cable achieved anything. Of course, as well as using
the USB to parallel cable, I also need a parallel to "mini parallel" cable,
because HP parallel printers use this funny small parallel plug and socket.

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:
..

> Does this combination (USB conversion to LPT cable, HP 1100) work on another
> machine (XP)?
>
> Is the USB hub powered? Make sure the USB ports on the laptop are
> configured such that they don't go to low power state.
>
> The next thing to do is ask HP if they recommend a specific USB to LPT
> conversion cable for this device. Most likely they will tell you to get a
> newer USB device but you can try.
>
> A docking station with LPT port could be one solution but I've seen docking
> stations that connect to USB and you are back in the same boat. A network
> print server device for LPT printers is also another option.
>

> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> "rh0000" <rh0000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a Toshiba laptop running Vista home basic. I use an HP laserjet 1100
> > parallel printer which I plug (via a USB-to-parallel converter cable) into
> > USB hub which feeds into one of the USB ports on my laptop. Very often,
> > when
> > I try to print (Word document, web page, pdf file, anything) nothing
> > happens
> > until I remove the converter cable from the USB hub and then reconnect it.
> > After I have done this, the printer will then work fine from then on, but
> > will then stop working whenever I reboot the computer. If, when I reach
> > the
> > point at which "nothing happens", I remove and rejoin the converter cable
> > from the printer cable, or remove and rejoin the printer cable from the
> > printer, that doesn't solve the problem. And if I have an extension USB
> > cable
> > joining the USB hub to the converter cable, and remove and rejoin the
> > converter cable from the extension cable, that doesn't solve the problem
> > either. The only thing which works is removing the cable from the USB hub
> > and
> > then reinserting it, and this usually works every time. It's not a big
> > problem, but it's irritating to have to scrabble around about the cables.
> > Any
> > suggestions as to what is going on and how I might be able to get my
> > printer
> > to start each time without having to fiddle about with the leads?

rh0000

Re: Parallel printer requires constant re-inserting into USB hub
Thanks for the suggestions. The problem is the same whether I use a powered
or an unpowered hub. I'll try and see what happens if I plug the cable direct
into the laptop, rather than via a hub. However, I would be reluctant to keep
the printer plugged into the laptop directly. My Toshiba has two USB ports at
the back and two at the side. At the moment it sits on my desk most of the
time and the two ports at the back take the external mouse and the hub, into
which all my various peripherals are plugged. This works very well, apart
from the printer! It means that if I want to take my laptop away I only have
to remove the one lead. I wouldn't want to have a second lead to remove and
to have the printer lead cluttering things up by being inserted at the side.
I would in fact prefer the status quo, and fiddle about with the leads under
my desk.