Why can't I fax scanned documents?

deko

Why can't I fax scanned documents?
I have Vista Ultimate and a new USRobotics PCI FaxModem. WFS faxing works
fine if I compose the content of the fax in the WFS New Fax editor window
and then click send. But if I try to insert an attachment - a PDF or TIFF
document created with my Microtek scanner - the fax fails with an "Invalid
Data" error message.

Is my scanner creating a file that WFS cannot render? Or is there some
other known issue with faxing scanned documents?

If WFS is choking on my scanner's output, how do I know which file
formats/types WFS can render and which scanners output acceptable formats?

Sinner

Re: Why can't I fax scanned documents?

"deko" <deko@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:UM2dnYDFA6fcvsfVnZ2dnUVZ_gOdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
>I have Vista Ultimate and a new USRobotics PCI FaxModem. WFS faxing works
>fine if I compose the content of the fax in the WFS New Fax editor window
>and then click send. But if I try to insert an attachment - a PDF or TIFF
>document created with my Microtek scanner - the fax fails with an "Invalid
>Data" error message.
>
> Is my scanner creating a file that WFS cannot render? Or is there some
> other known issue with faxing scanned documents?
>
> If WFS is choking on my scanner's output, how do I know which file
> formats/types WFS can render and which scanners output acceptable formats?

Yes, you are attaching files that WFS cannot render. What you need to do,
is select the Fax printer from within the program that produced the file and
print it to the Fax. I think that will get you the results you're looking
for.

deko

"Sinner" <sinner@gatesofhell.org> wrote in message

> "deko" <deko@nospam.com> wrote in message
> news:UM2dnYDFA6fcvsfVnZ2dnUVZ_gOdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
>>I have Vista Ultimate and a new USRobotics PCI FaxModem. WFS faxing works
>>fine if I compose the content of the fax in the WFS New Fax editor window
>>and then click send. But if I try to insert an attachment - a PDF or TIFF
>>document created with my Microtek scanner - the fax fails with an "Invalid
>>Data" error message.
>>
>> Is my scanner creating a file that WFS cannot render? Or is there some
>> other known issue with faxing scanned documents?
>>
>> If WFS is choking on my scanner's output, how do I know which file
>> formats/types WFS can render and which scanners output acceptable
>> formats?
>>

> Yes, you are attaching files that WFS cannot render. What you need to do,
> is select the Fax printer from within the program that produced the file
> and print it to the Fax. I think that will get you the results you're
> looking for.

I suppose that would work, but I'm disappointed with WFS's limited
conversion/rendering ability. Because I have files produced by different
scanners, various PDF engines and other programs, I need something that's
not so limited. I just want to select 'Print to fax' and have it sent.
Unfortunately, WFS is not there yet.

I'll have to buy something. I downloaded a trial of Snappy Fax
http://www.snappysoftware.com/ which seems to be working nicely so far.
Perhaps the next version of WFS will have the functionality I need.

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Re: Why can't I fax scanned documents?
You were expecting a utility that is provided free with your OS to be a full
featured program capable of rendering any file format you decide you want to
throw at it?
No wonder you are disappointed. Might want to consider bringing your
expectations into the real world and purchase a product that can do what you
need.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"deko" <deko@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:1oednS_pxZpDQsfVnZ2dnUVZ_oDinZ2d@comcast.com. ..
> "Sinner" <sinner@gatesofhell.org> wrote in message
>>
>> "deko" <deko@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> news:UM2dnYDFA6fcvsfVnZ2dnUVZ_gOdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
>>>I have Vista Ultimate and a new USRobotics PCI FaxModem. WFS faxing
>>>works fine if I compose the content of the fax in the WFS New Fax editor
>>>window and then click send. But if I try to insert an attachment - a PDF
>>>or TIFF document created with my Microtek scanner - the fax fails with an
>>>"Invalid Data" error message.
>>>
>>> Is my scanner creating a file that WFS cannot render? Or is there some
>>> other known issue with faxing scanned documents?
>>>
>>> If WFS is choking on my scanner's output, how do I know which file
>>> formats/types WFS can render and which scanners output acceptable
>>> formats?
>>>

>> Yes, you are attaching files that WFS cannot render. What you need to
>> do, is select the Fax printer from within the program that produced the
>> file and print it to the Fax. I think that will get you the results
>> you're looking for.

> I suppose that would work, but I'm disappointed with WFS's limited
> conversion/rendering ability. Because I have files produced by different
> scanners, various PDF engines and other programs, I need something that's
> not so limited. I just want to select 'Print to fax' and have it sent.
> Unfortunately, WFS is not there yet.
>
> I'll have to buy something. I downloaded a trial of Snappy Fax
> http://www.snappysoftware.com/ which seems to be working nicely so far.
> Perhaps the next version of WFS will have the functionality I need.

deko

Re: Why can't I fax scanned documents?
expecting software to work is entirely reasonable. at least for my
customers.

news:PMWdnRsxGfm46cbVnZ2dnUVZ_umdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
> expecting software to work is entirely reasonable. at least for my
> customers.

Of course, you probably expect Paint to do everything Photoshop is capable
of. WFS works, but there are degrees of functionality. The OP could just
print everything and then run it through a dedicated fax machine.

Sinner

Re: Why can't I fax scanned documents?

> You were expecting a utility that is provided free with your OS to be a
> full featured program capable of rendering any file format you decide you
> want to throw at it?

You wanna explain that "free" comment. It's not available in any of the
Home editions, therefore it is not free in Business and Ultimate editions
when they cost more than any Home version.