WHat has MS done to TCP Network Printing?

Al Dykes

WHat has MS done to TCP Network Printing?

This is an anticipatory question. I haven't tried to hook a Vista
machine up to a network printer yet.

My preferred way to print on a shared printer is via what Unix geeks
call LPR/LPRd protocol. It's worked fine from W/98 (With HPJetAdmin
installed ), on, but in each OS, Microsoft has completely changed the
setup procedure. I expect they have done it yet again.

If it's not the same, can someone point me to a page that describes
how to connect to a LPR print server under Vista?

Thanks.

--
Al Dykes

Bistey Csaba

Re: WHat has MS done to TCP Network Printing?
Not in default install for sure. You have to add itt via
Control Panel->Programs and Services->Turn On/Off Windows
Services->Printing Services->LPR Port Listener.

Then Add printer->Local Printer->Add new port->LPR Port->enter
printer's name/ip address and quene name->select driver from
list/manufacturer's cd. And done.

Csaba

Al Dykes wrote:
> This is an anticipatory question. I haven't tried to hook a Vista
> machine up to a network printer yet.
>
> My preferred way to print on a shared printer is via what Unix geeks
> call LPR/LPRd protocol. It's worked fine from W/98 (With HPJetAdmin
> installed ), on, but in each OS, Microsoft has completely changed the
> setup procedure. I expect they have done it yet again.
>
> If it's not the same, can someone point me to a page that describes
> how to connect to a LPR print server under Vista?
>
> Thanks.

Al Dykes

Re: WHat has MS done to TCP Network Printing?
In article <#V8SbMW0IHA.5520@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>,
Bistey Csaba <bcsaba@balmazujvaros.hu> wrote:
>Not in default install for sure. You have to add itt via
>Control Panel->Programs and Services->Turn On/Off Windows
>Services->Printing Services->LPR Port Listener.
>
>Then Add printer->Local Printer->Add new port->LPR Port->enter
>printer's name/ip address and quene name->select driver from
>list/manufacturer's cd. And done.

Thanks.

I don't share personal printers with LPR, I use it to talk to shared
printers that have built-in print servers.

Isn't "LPR Port Listener" for making a PC a LPR Printer server?

I could have been a little clearer.

--
Al Dykes

Bistey Csaba

Re: WHat has MS done to TCP Network Printing?
Nope as it "LPR Port Monitor" in English Vista.
In my Hungarian Vista it is called "LPR portfigyel§" and my translation
was not correct (well "figyel§" can mean both Monitor and Listener in
hungarian)).
The server side for it would be "LPD Print Service" that would make PC
for a Unix print server.

P.S. Sorry about there should be a fast language switch in Vista.

Csaba