Can not delete printer

Bill

Can not delete printer
A friend has a Toshiba laptop running Vista Home. He has a printer that
cannot be deleted. When I attempt to delete the printer I get an
"accesss denied" error. The printer had five documents in the queue. I
cannot cancel the documents either.

He has two user accounts on the computer. I have tried to delete the
printer from both accounts and get the same error with both. I enabled
the Administrator account, logged on as Administrator tried to delete
both the documents and the printer. I could not delete the documents
(no error message) and I got the same "access denied" error when I
tried to delete the printer. How can Administrator not have access to
delete a printer?

How do I delete the printer? Thanks.

--
..Bill.
Andrew

RE: Can not delete printer
You go onto settings and then there will be a menu saying printers and faxes
and you search for your printer and there should be an edit button then click
delete
--
by Andrew

"Bill" wrote:

> A friend has a Toshiba laptop running Vista Home. He has a printer that
> cannot be deleted. When I attempt to delete the printer I get an
> "accesss denied" error. The printer had five documents in the queue. I
> cannot cancel the documents either.
>
> He has two user accounts on the computer. I have tried to delete the
> printer from both accounts and get the same error with both. I enabled
> the Administrator account, logged on as Administrator tried to delete
> both the documents and the printer. I could not delete the documents
> (no error message) and I got the same "access denied" error when I
> tried to delete the printer. How can Administrator not have access to
> delete a printer?
>
> How do I delete the printer? Thanks.
>
> --
> ..Bill.

Bill

Re: Can not delete printer
Andrew wrote:

> You go onto settings and then there will be a menu saying printers
> and faxes and you search for your printer and there should be an edit
> button then click delete

Sorry but I do not understand what you mean by "go into settings". I am
very very new to Vista. Can you give the steps to get to "settings"?

Thanks.

--
..Bill.
Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Can not delete printer
Since you are not running Vista Ultimate (Ultimate users should launch Print
Management to perform printing administrative functions), open the Printers
folder in Control panel

find the printer
right click
Run as administrator
Open

delete all the pending jobs

close

printer
right click
Run as administrator

Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"Bill" <no@no.com> wrote in message
> Andrew wrote:
>
>> You go onto settings and then there will be a menu saying printers
>> and faxes and you search for your printer and there should be an edit
>> button then click delete

> Sorry but I do not understand what you mean by "go into settings". I am
> very very new to Vista. Can you give the steps to get to "settings"?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> .Bill.

Bill

Re: Can not delete printer
Thanks. Trying to delete the print jobs and the printer failed while I
was logged on as Administrator (not an adminstrator, _the_
Administrator) but I will try it your way and see what happens.

--
..Bill.
Bill

Re: Can not delete printer
Alan Morris [MSFT] wrote:

> find the printer
> right click
> Run as administrator
> Open

Sorry for the slow response. I have been tied up with another problem.

When I right click the printer in Vista Business there is no "Run as
Administrator" choice on the context menu. Is this an option that only
appears in Vista Home? If not, I must be missing something. Can you
tell me exactly how to get to the "Run as Administrator" choice?

--
..Bill.
Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Can not delete printer
Since you have Business open print management to perform admin functions on
any printer other than a printer connection from a machine sharing a
printer.

Control Panel
System and Maintenance
Administration tools
Print Management

if the printer is a connection, there is no Run as administrator menu
option.