Add a Network Printer Algorithm

Snake_Driver

Add a Network Printer Algorithm
Can anyone provide any detail on what algoritm Vista uses when populating the
Select a Printer section of the Add Printer window? The window I'm referring
to is accessed by going to Control Panel - Add Printer - Add a network,
wireless or Bluetooth printer. It appears that it brings back a list of 20
printers that it finds in the in the domain, but I'd like to know how it
determines which 20 in cases where there are more than 20 printers in the
environment. My ultimate goal is to try and tailor this list for various
locations so when users attempt to add a printer, they receive a meaningful
list of printers in this window.

Thanks in advance for any assistance/clues that anyone can offer with this.
Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Add a Network Printer Algorithm
This is configured by policy

Computer
admin templates
Printers

Add print wizard managed networks

change the defaults
--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"Snake_Driver" <SnakeDriver@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone provide any detail on what algoritm Vista uses when populating
> the
> Select a Printer section of the Add Printer window? The window I'm
> referring
> to is accessed by going to Control Panel - Add Printer - Add a network,
> wireless or Bluetooth printer. It appears that it brings back a list of
> 20
> printers that it finds in the in the domain, but I'd like to know how it
> determines which 20 in cases where there are more than 20 printers in the
> environment. My ultimate goal is to try and tailor this list for various
> locations so when users attempt to add a printer, they receive a
> meaningful
> list of printers in this window.
>
> Thanks in advance for any assistance/clues that anyone can offer with
> this.

Snake_Driver

Re: Add a Network Printer Algorithm
Alan -

Thanks for pointing me to that setting. I'd still like to know though if
there is any way to control which 20 printers in the Directory are returned
when I initiate a search? Understanding how this list of 20 printers is
selected may help with this.

Thanks!