Error 0x0000000d in network printer

Rua

Error 0x0000000d in network printer
Hi

We have the following problem in 10 windows Vista Computers recently
installed.

We have a HP 4100 connected directly to the network. We were able to install
and print into the printer but a couple of days later(not all at the same
time), the stations start to give the following message: The operation cannot
be completed (error 0x0000000d). After that is imposible to print, even if
you reinstall the printer. We also tried the solution given by microsoft when
you search this error in their support page. The only thing that works is to
restore the computer to a previous state, but 3 or 4 days later it will fail
again. We also reinstall from scratch one of the computers but the error
appeared 4 days after that

We've tried to install the printer via Active Directory and by creating a
local port directly to the printer but the error won't go.

Another weird thing, we installed other Windows Vista computers last year
and they don't have problems to print to this printer.

The version of all computers is 6.6000.16407.

Any help?
Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Error 0x0000000d in network printer
I'm assuming you are using the MS version of Standard TCP/IP Port and the
4100 drivers included in Vista

The version number looks wrong. Are the machines RTM with some updates?

E:\>winerror 0x0000000d
13 ERROR_INVALID_DATA <--> No NTSTATUS matched

I'm a bit confused since from your post it sounds like the clients are
connecting to the printer not a print server but the KB refers to a
connection.
Error message when you try to install a network printer on a Windows
Vista-based computer: "Windows cannot connect to the printer Operation could
not be completed (error 0x0000000d)"

HP network cards do not support printing over SMB protocols so
\\npixxxxxx\printer is not supported
--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"Rua" <Rua@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> We have the following problem in 10 windows Vista Computers recently
> installed.
>
> We have a HP 4100 connected directly to the network. We were able to
> install
> and print into the printer but a couple of days later(not all at the same
> time), the stations start to give the following message: The operation
> cannot
> be completed (error 0x0000000d). After that is imposible to print, even if
> you reinstall the printer. We also tried the solution given by microsoft
> when
> you search this error in their support page. The only thing that works is
> restore the computer to a previous state, but 3 or 4 days later it will
> fail
> again. We also reinstall from scratch one of the computers but the error
> appeared 4 days after that
>
> We've tried to install the printer via Active Directory and by creating a
> local port directly to the printer but the error won't go.
>
> Another weird thing, we installed other Windows Vista computers last year
> and they don't have problems to print to this printer.
>

> The version of all computers is 6.6000.16407.
>
> Any help?

Rua

Re: Error 0x0000000d in network printer
Hi,

We have a windows 2003 Server which works as a Print Server. Because this
option was giving us errors we created a Standard TCP/IP port and assigned
the ip address, after that Windows recognized and installed the printer, but
again the error appeared a couple of days after.

Regarding the Vista Version, what is RTM? The computers are Dell
Workstations with preinstalled software, and we didn't install any update.

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

> I'm assuming you are using the MS version of Standard TCP/IP Port and the
> 4100 drivers included in Vista
>
> The version number looks wrong. Are the machines RTM with some updates?
>

> E:\>winerror 0x0000000d
> 13 ERROR_INVALID_DATA <--> No NTSTATUS matched
>
> I'm a bit confused since from your post it sounds like the clients are
> connecting to the printer not a print server but the KB refers to a
> connection.
> Error message when you try to install a network printer on a Windows
> Vista-based computer: "Windows cannot connect to the printer Operation could
> not be completed (error 0x0000000d)"
>

> HP network cards do not support printing over SMB protocols so
> \\npixxxxxx\printer is not supported
> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> "Rua" <Rua@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi
> >
> > We have the following problem in 10 windows Vista Computers recently
> > installed.
> >
> > We have a HP 4100 connected directly to the network. We were able to
> > install
> > and print into the printer but a couple of days later(not all at the same
> > time), the stations start to give the following message: The operation
> > cannot
> > be completed (error 0x0000000d). After that is imposible to print, even if
> > you reinstall the printer. We also tried the solution given by microsoft
> > when
> > you search this error in their support page. The only thing that works is
> > restore the computer to a previous state, but 3 or 4 days later it will
> > fail
> > again. We also reinstall from scratch one of the computers but the error
> > appeared 4 days after that
> >
> > We've tried to install the printer via Active Directory and by creating a
> > local port directly to the printer but the error won't go.
> >
> > Another weird thing, we installed other Windows Vista computers last year
> > and they don't have problems to print to this printer.
> >

> > The version of all computers is 6.6000.16407.
> >
> > Any help?

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Error 0x0000000d in network printer
RTM Release to Manufacturing Build 16386. SP1 is 18000

Are you setting up the Ports yourself?

Are the printers DHCP or have static addresses?

--

> [...]
>> > if
>> > you reinstall the printer. We also tried the solution given by
>> > microsoft
>> > when
>> > you search this error in their support page. The only thing that works
>> > is
>> > restore the computer to a previous state, but 3 or 4 days later it will
>> > fail
>> > again. We also reinstall from scratch one of the computers but the
>> > error
>> > appeared 4 days after that
>> >
>> > We've tried to install the printer via Active Directory and by creating
>> > local port directly to the printer but the error won't go.
>> >
>> > Another weird thing, we installed other Windows Vista computers last
>> > year
>> > and they don't have problems to print to this printer.
>> >

>> > The version of all computers is 6.6000.16407.

Rua

Re: Error 0x0000000d in network printer
The Windows is in Spanish, maybe that's why the version is diferent.

The support technician installed the port but I was watching if something
was wrong or having problems

IP address is static.

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

> RTM Release to Manufacturing Build 16386. SP1 is 18000
>
> Are you setting up the Ports yourself?
>
> Are the printers DHCP or have static addresses?
>

> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> "Rua" <Rua@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > We have a windows 2003 Server which works as a Print Server. Because this
> > option was giving us errors we created a Standard TCP/IP port and assigned
> > the ip address, after that Windows recognized and installed the printer,
> > but
> > again the error appeared a couple of days after.
> >
> > Regarding the Vista Version, what is RTM? The computers are Dell
> > Workstations with preinstalled software, and we didn't install any update.
> >
> > "Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:
> >
> >> I'm assuming you are using the MS version of Standard TCP/IP Port and the
> >> 4100 drivers included in Vista
> >>
> >> The version number looks wrong. Are the machines RTM with some updates?
> >>

> >> E:\>winerror 0x0000000d
> >> 13 ERROR_INVALID_DATA <--> No NTSTATUS matched
> >>
> >> I'm a bit confused since from your post it sounds like the clients are
> >> connecting to the printer not a print server but the KB refers to a
> >> connection.
> >> Error message when you try to install a network printer on a Windows
> >> Vista-based computer: "Windows cannot connect to the printer Operation
> >> could
> >> not be completed (error 0x0000000d)"
> >>

> >> HP network cards do not support printing over SMB protocols so
> >> \\npixxxxxx\printer is not supported
> >> --
> >> Alan Morris
> >> Windows Printing Team
> >> Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1

> >> rights.

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Error 0x0000000d in network printer
I think you are correct regarding version info.

when do you get the error? I'd normally expect that error when one create a
connection to a shared printer.

For HP printers shared on XP or Server 2003, you have to get version 18 or
greater of an HP driver file that will terminate the spooler on Vista since
the OS version number is 6. The hpbmini.dll file checks the OS version.
When it's not version 5.1 or 5.2 (XP and Server 2003), the file causes the
spooler in Vista to fail. HP has updated the drivers that use this file but
the 4100 is an older device, they may not have updated this.

If the issue you experienced was the Vista spooler failing when making a
connection to Server 2003, check the version number of hpbmini.dll in
\windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3 on the server machine.

MS and HP have this documented .

--

> The Windows is in Spanish, maybe that's why the version is diferent.
>
> The support technician installed the port but I was watching if something
> was wrong or having problems
>
> IP address is static.
>

> "Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> RTM Release to Manufacturing Build 16386. SP1 is 18000
>>
>> Are you setting up the Ports yourself?
>>
>> Are the printers DHCP or have static addresses?
>>

>> --
>> Alan Morris
>> Windows Printing Team
>> http://support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1

>> rights.
>>
>> "Rua" <Rua@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > We have a windows 2003 Server which works as a Print Server. Because
>> > this
>> > option was giving us errors we created a Standard TCP/IP port and
>> > assigned
>> > the ip address, after that Windows recognized and installed the
>> > printer,
>> > but
>> > again the error appeared a couple of days after.
>> >
>> > Regarding the Vista Version, what is RTM? The computers are Dell
>> > Workstations with preinstalled software, and we didn't install any
>> > update.

Rua

Re: Error 0x0000000d in network printer
Hi

I don't believe this is our problem. We are using the latest drivers
available in HP.com and also we are able to install and print from vista to
the printers for at least a couple of days, we even have a computer which
reported the error 5 days after installation.

We also tried to connect to the printer directly creating an ip port and
using the vista drivers but this does not solve the problem. Also, we tried
installing other printers like a lexmark network printer but the problem
also happens with it.

At this moment we are installing SP1 in one computer to see what happens but
if that doesn't work, we are thinking in downgrade them to XP.