I can not connect to my network printer

Osy Buchi

I can not connect to my network printer
I added this Vista laptop to my network.It can see all the computers on the
network including the printer. However when you attempt to install the
printer, you get access denied.
I have disabled the firewall, enabled file and print sharing yet I get the
same result.I have also set the workgroup to the same name for all the
computers on the network yet the problem persist.Does any body have an idea
of what I should do?

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: I can not connect to my network printer
To what is the printer already attached?
--
Cari (MS-MVP) Printing & Imaging
www.coribright.com/windows

"Osy Buchi" <Osy Buchi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I added this Vista laptop to my network.It can see all the computers on the
> network including the printer. However when you attempt to install the
> printer, you get access denied.
> I have disabled the firewall, enabled file and print sharing yet I get
> the
> same result.I have also set the workgroup to the same name for all the
> computers on the network yet the problem persist.Does any body have an
> idea
> of what I should do?

Patrick C

Re: I can not connect to my network printer
I had a similar problem and found this doing a Google search:

"I had the same problem. I found a solution. Logically it makes no sense to
me, but it worked so...

Go to Control Panel. Choose printer. Then choose Add Printer.

ChooseAdd a local printer. Click on Create a new port. The default in the
drop down box is Local Port. Do not change that. Click Next.

A dialogue box will appear asking for you to enter a port name. Type in the
\\computer name\printer name ie. My computer's name is basement and the
printer name is EpsonSty so I typed in \\basement\epsonsty."

It helped me.

"Osy Buchi" <Osy Buchi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I added this Vista laptop to my network.It can see all the computers on the
> network including the printer. However when you attempt to install the
> printer, you get access denied.
> I have disabled the firewall, enabled file and print sharing yet I get
> the
> same result.I have also set the workgroup to the same name for all the
> computers on the network yet the problem persist.Does any body have an
> idea
> of what I should do?

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: I can not connect to my network printer
most likely something has locked down the print$ share on the "server"
machine.

on the Vista machine open a command prompt and type

dir \\printserver\print$

if you get access denied here you can figure out the "server" security
settings to allow access or use the Local Port method and install the driver
locally. The access denied does not stop printing just getting the print
drivers from the machine sharing the printer.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team