Spooler subsystem app has stopped working...

Jay

Spooler subsystem app has stopped working...
Hi guys, been having problems setting up my printer at work. We have 4
computers on an Asus WL-520GU router, 1 is hardwired to the router. The
hardwired computer has the Samsung CLP-300 printer connected to it. This
computer runs XP. 3 of the other computers also run XP, and I have had no
problems setting up printing on these computers through the network. The
problem comes from my Vista machine - everytime I try to install the network
printer, it gives me this error message that the spooler subsystem app has
stopped working. I have NOT YET installed any drivers, so I really don't
think this comes from a printer driver incompatiblity issue. After I get the
error, I need to restart the spooler service to be able to try to install the
printer again... but no luck. Anyone have any advice? Thanks.
Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Spooler subsystem app has stopped working...
What print drivers are installed on the Vista machine? If you have Business
or Ultimate, launch printmanagement.msc, Home versions open the printers
folder, right click any white space and select Server Properties, Drivers.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"Jay" <Jay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi guys, been having problems setting up my printer at work. We have 4
> computers on an Asus WL-520GU router, 1 is hardwired to the router. The
> hardwired computer has the Samsung CLP-300 printer connected to it. This
> computer runs XP. 3 of the other computers also run XP, and I have had no
> problems setting up printing on these computers through the network. The
> problem comes from my Vista machine - everytime I try to install the
> network
> printer, it gives me this error message that the spooler subsystem app has
> stopped working. I have NOT YET installed any drivers, so I really don't
> think this comes from a printer driver incompatiblity issue. After I get
> the
> error, I need to restart the spooler service to be able to try to install
> the
> printer again... but no luck. Anyone have any advice? Thanks.

Jay

Re: Spooler subsystem app has stopped working...
Hi there, I was able to fix my problem: I removed all existing printers, and
downloaded a new vista-only driver from the Samsung website - the
self-installer was able to register a new printer with Vista without having
the spooler subsystem problem. Thanks for the help!

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

> What print drivers are installed on the Vista machine? If you have Business
> or Ultimate, launch printmanagement.msc, Home versions open the printers
> folder, right click any white space and select Server Properties, Drivers.
>

> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> "Jay" <Jay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi guys, been having problems setting up my printer at work. We have 4
> > computers on an Asus WL-520GU router, 1 is hardwired to the router. The
> > hardwired computer has the Samsung CLP-300 printer connected to it. This
> > computer runs XP. 3 of the other computers also run XP, and I have had no
> > problems setting up printing on these computers through the network. The
> > problem comes from my Vista machine - everytime I try to install the
> > network
> > printer, it gives me this error message that the spooler subsystem app has
> > stopped working. I have NOT YET installed any drivers, so I really don't
> > think this comes from a printer driver incompatiblity issue. After I get
> > the
> > error, I need to restart the spooler service to be able to try to install
> > the
> > printer again... but no luck. Anyone have any advice? Thanks.

dbnichol

Re: Spooler subsystem app has stopped working...

i realize this is an old thread, but i found the answer to this from
another site and thought others visiting here may like to know.

Simply go to the Advanced tab of the printer properties and uncheck
Enable advanced printing features. You should no longer get the error
on the spooler subsystem.

--
dbnichol
dbnichol's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/122671.htm