Windows Fax and Scan does not appear in the Start menu

Pete'n'Sheila79

Windows Fax and Scan does not appear in the Start menu
I'm using Vista Home Premium and want to (a) send faxes via a local fax
modem, and (b) scan docs from a local scanner. I hear there should be a
Windows fax and Scan program shown in the Start menu. I clicked All Programs
in the Start menu and it still does not show. Suggestions?
Hal Hostetler [MVP P/I]

Re: Windows Fax and Scan does not appear in the Start menu
Fax and Scan is available in Vista Business and Ultimate editions, it is not
available in any of the Vista Home editions. Since you have a Vista Home
version, the only Fax option is a third party product. These products work
under Vista:

Snappy Fax
http://www.snappysoftware.com/
RKSFax
http://www.rkssoftware.com/rksfax/overview.html
VentaFax
http://www.ventafax.com/
FaxTalk FaxCenter Pro 7.5
http://www.faxtalk.com/products/ftfcp/index.htm

I've seen reports that the free version of BVRP works with Vista also:

http://www.usr.com/bvrp/bvrp.asp
BVRP PhoneTools

Since the above comes bundled with new USR modems, I don't know if it will
work with non-USR modems. You can also send Faxes via your Internet
connection provided you are willing to pay for an Internet E-Faxing service:

http://www.slipstick.com/addins/serv...tm#internetfax
Personal Fax Services - Internet Fax
http://www.savetz.com/fax/
FAQ: How can I send a fax from the Internet?

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
Live at Hot Licks - www.badnewsbluesband.com

"Pete'n'Sheila79" <Pete'n'Sheila79@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:93BA73C8-D197-4D7B-B4F1-9157B1E269D5@microsoft.com...
> I'm using Vista Home Premium and want to (a) send faxes via a local fax
> modem, and (b) scan docs from a local scanner. I hear there should be a
> Windows fax and Scan program shown in the Start menu. I clicked All

Programs
> in the Start menu and it still does not show. Suggestions?

Pete''n''Sheila79

Re: Windows Fax and Scan does not appear in the Start menu
Thanks, Hal. While waiting for a response to my post I had a better look
thru the various threads on this section and found that my query was not that
original, and that you had posted similar replies already. Nice to see such
patience and dedication! In fact I got Vista Home Premium pre-installed on a
new Dell which also has an optional fax modem installed, so my issue is
really with them that they did not include the necessary app-level software
alongside this option, given that Microsoft excluded it from Home Premium.

While hunting around, I came across the RKSFax product you list, and can
confirm it works fine. I doubt if beating Dell (or MS) up about this will
yield anything useful, so I'll probably pay RKS $20 for their product.
Thanks again, Pete.

"Hal Hostetler [MVP P/I]" wrote:

> Fax and Scan is available in Vista Business and Ultimate editions, it is not
> available in any of the Vista Home editions. Since you have a Vista Home
> version, the only Fax option is a third party product. These products work
> under Vista:
>
> Snappy Fax
> http://www.snappysoftware.com/
> RKSFax
> http://www.rkssoftware.com/rksfax/overview.html
> VentaFax
> http://www.ventafax.com/
> FaxTalk FaxCenter Pro 7.5
> http://www.faxtalk.com/products/ftfcp/index.htm
>
> I've seen reports that the free version of BVRP works with Vista also:
>
> http://www.usr.com/bvrp/bvrp.asp
> BVRP PhoneTools
>
> Since the above comes bundled with new USR modems, I don't know if it will
> work with non-USR modems. You can also send Faxes via your Internet
> connection provided you are willing to pay for an Internet E-Faxing service:
>
> http://www.slipstick.com/addins/serv...tm#internetfax
> Personal Fax Services - Internet Fax
> http://www.savetz.com/fax/
> FAQ: How can I send a fax from the Internet?
>
> Hal
> --
> Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
> Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-Print/Imaging -- WA7BGX
> Live at Hot Licks - www.badnewsbluesband.com
>
> "Pete'n'Sheila79" <Pete'n'Sheila79@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:93BA73C8-D197-4D7B-B4F1-9157B1E269D5@microsoft.com...
> > I'm using Vista Home Premium and want to (a) send faxes via a local fax
> > modem, and (b) scan docs from a local scanner. I hear there should be a
> > Windows fax and Scan program shown in the Start menu. I clicked All

> Programs
> > in the Start menu and it still does not show. Suggestions?

Hal Hostetler [MVP P/I]

Re: Windows Fax and Scan does not appear in the Start menu
You've very welcome and thanks a bunch for the feedback on RKS!

Hal
--

message news:8CC6394D-33A9-4A42-B819-36E892B53E84@microsoft.com...
> Thanks, Hal. While waiting for a response to my post I had a better look
> thru the various threads on this section and found that my query was not

that
> original, and that you had posted similar replies already. Nice to see

such
> patience and dedication! In fact I got Vista Home Premium pre-installed on

> new Dell which also has an optional fax modem installed, so my issue is
> really with them that they did not include the necessary app-level

software
> alongside this option, given that Microsoft excluded it from Home Premium.
>
> While hunting around, I came across the RKSFax product you list, and can
> confirm it works fine. I doubt if beating Dell (or MS) up about this will
> yield anything useful, so I'll probably pay RKS $20 for their product.
> Thanks again, Pete.
>

> "Hal Hostetler [MVP P/I]" wrote:
>
> > Fax and Scan is available in Vista Business and Ultimate editions, it is

not
> > available in any of the Vista Home editions. Since you have a Vista

> > version, the only Fax option is a third party product. These products

work
> > under Vista:
> >
> > Snappy Fax
> > http://www.snappysoftware.com/
> > RKSFax
> > http://www.rkssoftware.com/rksfax/overview.html
> > VentaFax
> > http://www.ventafax.com/
> > FaxTalk FaxCenter Pro 7.5
> > http://www.faxtalk.com/products/ftfcp/index.htm
> >
> > I've seen reports that the free version of BVRP works with Vista also:
> >
> > http://www.usr.com/bvrp/bvrp.asp
> > BVRP PhoneTools
> >
> > Since the above comes bundled with new USR modems, I don't know if it

will
> > work with non-USR modems. You can also send Faxes via your Internet
> > connection provided you are willing to pay for an Internet E-Faxing

service:

> > http://www.slipstick.com/addins/serv...tm#internetfax
> > Personal Fax Services - Internet Fax
> > http://www.savetz.com/fax/
> > FAQ: How can I send a fax from the Internet?
> >
> > Hal
> > --
> > Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
> > Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-Print/Imaging -- WA7BGX
> > http://www.kvoa.com -- "When News breaks, we fix it!"
> > KVOA Television, Tucson, AZ. NBC Channel 4
> > Live at Hot Licks - www.badnewsbluesband.com
> >
> > "Pete'n'Sheila79" <Pete'n'Sheila79@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> > message news:93BA73C8-D197-4D7B-B4F1-9157B1E269D5@microsoft.com...
> > > I'm using Vista Home Premium and want to (a) send faxes via a local

fax
> > > modem, and (b) scan docs from a local scanner. I hear there should be

> > > Windows fax and Scan program shown in the Start menu. I clicked All

> > Programs
> > > in the Start menu and it still does not show. Suggestions?

dletts

Re: Windows Fax and Scan does not appear in the Start menu

Well curiouser and curiouser (as the Walrus said to Alice).

I have original Windows Vista Business edition fully registered with
Microsoft and have been operating it for several months. However the
Windows Fax and Scan does NOT appear in the Programs menu as is stated
in the help files. I also went in to check which windows programs were
activated and found that Windows Fax and Scan was active in the listing,
but still did not appear on the menu. So I deactivated it
(unchecked/unticked it) then OK, then went back in and reactivated it
(then reboted machine as well).

Still no sign of it on the menu. Searched for it in the help, and
search areas, no joy other than the normal "You will find it on the all
programs menu"

Then out of frustration went to the control panel and did a search on
scan. Lo and behold under Control Panel Home, search on Scan, up pops
"Scanners and Cameras" with 2 chouces "Scan a document or picture" amd
View scanners. Selected Scan and found Windows Fax and Scan!!

It's still not on my menu, and I cant seem to get it there not no-how
(Tom Sawyer?), but a long as I can remember to jump through all these
hoops, then I can find it again hopefully. What a Pain in the neck!!!!!

Does anyone have a clue as to how I can locate "WFS.EXE" (as I think
this was the program running) and pin that to the menu. It doesnt appear
on searches under C: all folders.

Any other ideas as to how to get Fax & Scan on to the menu where it
should be?

Thanks all!

regards

DLetts

--
dletts
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Re: Windows Fax and Scan does not appear in the Start menu
Bizarre. Never seen it or seen it reported. How was Vista originally
installed on your PC? Does WFS seem to function normally once you remember
the path you need to use to launch it? Do you have a Fax Account configured
correctly?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"dletts" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Well curiouser and curiouser (as the Walrus said to Alice).
>
> I have original Windows Vista Business edition fully registered with
> Microsoft and have been operating it for several months. However the
> Windows Fax and Scan does NOT appear in the Programs menu as is stated
> in the help files. I also went in to check which windows programs were
> activated and found that Windows Fax and Scan was active in the listing,
> but still did not appear on the menu. So I deactivated it
> (unchecked/unticked it) then OK, then went back in and reactivated it
> (then reboted machine as well).
>
> Still no sign of it on the menu. Searched for it in the help, and
> search areas, no joy other than the normal "You will find it on the all
> programs menu"
>
> Then out of frustration went to the control panel and did a search on
> scan. Lo and behold under Control Panel Home, search on Scan, up pops
> "Scanners and Cameras" with 2 chouces "Scan a document or picture" amd
> View scanners. Selected Scan and found Windows Fax and Scan!!
>
> It's still not on my menu, and I cant seem to get it there not no-how
> (Tom Sawyer?), but a long as I can remember to jump through all these
> hoops, then I can find it again hopefully. What a Pain in the neck!!!!!
>
> Does anyone have a clue as to how I can locate "WFS.EXE" (as I think
> this was the program running) and pin that to the menu. It doesnt appear
> on searches under C: all folders.
>
> Any other ideas as to how to get Fax & Scan on to the menu where it
> should be?
>
> Thanks all!
>
> regards
>
> DLetts
>

> --
> dletts

dletts

Re: Windows Fax and Scan does not appear in the Start menu

Hi Russ,
It was installed through the normal process of insert original DVD and
let it do its stuff!. There were no unusual setup parameters and it was
a totally standard installation. I certainly would not have removed any
standard suggested set up parameters. It was not set up from a network
but direct from DVD discs.

Yes WFS operates normally once found. After I remembered to search in
all system and hidden folders I finally found that too [my mistake!!!!
] . So now I have pinned it as a favourite to the Start menu.
But I still have not found the proper way to get it on the normal menu
(All programs) so it does not have to be in the favourites, but can
easily be located in the normal full menu listing.

The fax configuration is all normal, but I will delete that and redo it
just to be sure.

Thanks for your help.
(Oh and on a totally unrelated topic - the combination of Vista and IE7
causes memory to fill up when you open more than 30 web pages over time
(not all at the same time). Its' like it doesnt release the previous web
page memory and eventualy all 2GB of memory is filled and the PC cannot
function. So perhaps this is a bad version of Vista? )

thanks again!
rgds
dletts

--