wireless printer problems

Purduette

wireless printer problems
I have a new Dell computer running Vista Home Premium. My Brother printer
prints fine when hooked up via USB. But won't print wirelessly through my
router (Airport Express). The computer recognizes the printer wirelessly and
has it as "ready." When I send something to print, it starts printing the
first few lines and then just stops and won't print the rest. If I try again,
nothing happens at all. I have to uninstall and reinstall the printer to get
it to do anything. And even then, it won't print more than the first few
lines of the document. Had no problems printing wirelessly with this printer
and router on my old Dell that ran XP. Help!
Patrick C

Re: wireless printer problems
Just wondering if the following procedure would help, maybe you could adapt
it to your situation;

Setting up Netgear WGPS606 for TCP/IP using Vista Home Premium:

1. You should be logged on with administrator privileges.Get IP address of
the print server.

a. Run the cd of the print server to get the IP address of the print server.

2. Set up a TCP/IP port on the computer using the following steps:

a. Click on start, then Control Panel.
b. Select Classic View.
c. Double click on Printers.
d. Right click anywhere in the space below the printer icons.
e. Click Run as Administrator.
f. Click Add Printer (ok permission).
g. Click Add a Network, Wireless, or Bluetooth Printer.
h. Select Stop.
i. Select The Printer I Want Isn't Listed.
j. Select Add a Printer Using TCP/IP Address or Host Name.
k. Click Next.
l. Under Device Type select TCP/IP Device.
m. In Hostname or IP address enter IP address obtained from cd run ie;
192.168.1.103.
n. Uncheck Query the printer and automatically select the driver to use.
o. Click Next.
p. It detects TCP/IP port - may take a few minutes.
q. Select Custom.
r. Click Settings.
s. In Protocol select LPR.
t. In Que Name, for port 1 type L1, for port 2 type L2, (referencing the
port on print server),
Check LPR Byte Counting Enabled.
u. Click Ok.
v. Click Next.
w. Find Printer Manufacturer and Printer in List, Click Next.
x. Select use current or replace driver.
y. Alter name and/or select as default printer if desired.
z. Print test page if desired and click Finish.

"Purduette" <Purduette@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news1BE9E1B-D814-4FB4-A594-7B98C894D2BF@microsoft.com...
>I have a new Dell computer running Vista Home Premium. My Brother printer
> prints fine when hooked up via USB. But won't print wirelessly through my
> router (Airport Express). The computer recognizes the printer wirelessly
> and
> has it as "ready." When I send something to print, it starts printing the
> first few lines and then just stops and won't print the rest. If I try
> again,
> nothing happens at all. I have to uninstall and reinstall the printer to
> get
> it to do anything. And even then, it won't print more than the first few
> lines of the document. Had no problems printing wirelessly with this
> printer
> and router on my old Dell that ran XP. Help!

Purduette

Re: wireless printer problems
Thanks for the suggestion. Tried it but didn't help. Printer didn't print
anything. Issue doesn't seem to be that the computer doesn't see the router
or the printer -- acknowledges both fine and seems to send the info to the
printer. But after printing a few lines, the printer just stops and won't
print anything else.

"Patrick C" wrote:

> Just wondering if the following procedure would help, maybe you could adapt
> it to your situation;
>
> Setting up Netgear WGPS606 for TCP/IP using Vista Home Premium:
>
> 1. You should be logged on with administrator privileges.Get IP address of
> the print server.
>
> a. Run the cd of the print server to get the IP address of the print server.
>
> 2. Set up a TCP/IP port on the computer using the following steps:
>
> a. Click on start, then Control Panel.
> b. Select Classic View.
> c. Double click on Printers.
> d. Right click anywhere in the space below the printer icons.
> e. Click Run as Administrator.
> f. Click Add Printer (ok permission).
> g. Click Add a Network, Wireless, or Bluetooth Printer.
> h. Select Stop.
> i. Select The Printer I Want Isn't Listed.
> j. Select Add a Printer Using TCP/IP Address or Host Name.
> k. Click Next.
> l. Under Device Type select TCP/IP Device.
> m. In Hostname or IP address enter IP address obtained from cd run ie;
> 192.168.1.103.
> n. Uncheck Query the printer and automatically select the driver to use.
> o. Click Next.
> p. It detects TCP/IP port - may take a few minutes.
> q. Select Custom.
> r. Click Settings.
> s. In Protocol select LPR.
> t. In Que Name, for port 1 type L1, for port 2 type L2, (referencing the
> port on print server),
> Check LPR Byte Counting Enabled.
> u. Click Ok.
> v. Click Next.
> w. Find Printer Manufacturer and Printer in List, Click Next.
> x. Select use current or replace driver.
> y. Alter name and/or select as default printer if desired.
> z. Print test page if desired and click Finish.
>

> "Purduette" <Purduette@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news1BE9E1B-D814-4FB4-A594-7B98C894D2BF@microsoft.com...
> >I have a new Dell computer running Vista Home Premium. My Brother printer
> > prints fine when hooked up via USB. But won't print wirelessly through my
> > router (Airport Express). The computer recognizes the printer wirelessly
> > and
> > has it as "ready." When I send something to print, it starts printing the
> > first few lines and then just stops and won't print the rest. If I try
> > again,
> > nothing happens at all. I have to uninstall and reinstall the printer to
> > get
> > it to do anything. And even then, it won't print more than the first few
> > lines of the document. Had no problems printing wirelessly with this
> > printer
> > and router on my old Dell that ran XP. Help!

Patrick C

Re: wireless printer problems
Otherwise try in printer properties, advanced, select start printing after
last page is spooled.

> [...]
>> >printer
>> > prints fine when hooked up via USB. But won't print wirelessly through
>> > my
>> > router (Airport Express). The computer recognizes the printer
>> > wirelessly
>> > and
>> > has it as "ready." When I send something to print, it starts printing
>> > the
>> > first few lines and then just stops and won't print the rest. If I try
>> > again,
>> > nothing happens at all. I have to uninstall and reinstall the printer
>> > get
>> > it to do anything. And even then, it won't print more than the first
>> > few
>> > lines of the document. Had no problems printing wirelessly with this
>> > printer
>> > and router on my old Dell that ran XP. Help!

It was already set to that. Also tried it with it set to print directly to
the printer w/ spooling and still no go. Plus, I tried to print to an HP
printer wirelessly and had the same exact problem. So it's not the
printer(s)....

"Patrick C" wrote:

> Otherwise try in printer properties, advanced, select start printing after
> last page is spooled.
>
> "Purduette" <Purduette@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for the suggestion. Tried it but didn't help. Printer didn't print
> > anything. Issue doesn't seem to be that the computer doesn't see the
> > router
> > or the printer -- acknowledges both fine and seems to send the info to the
> > printer. But after printing a few lines, the printer just stops and won't
> > print anything else.
> >
> > "Patrick C" wrote:
> >
> >> Just wondering if the following procedure would help, maybe you could
> >> adapt
> >> it to your situation;
> >>
> >> Setting up Netgear WGPS606 for TCP/IP using Vista Home Premium:
> >>
> >> 1. You should be logged on with administrator privileges.Get IP address
> >> of
> >> the print server.
> >>
> >> a. Run the cd of the print server to get the IP address of the print
> >> server.
> >>
> >> 2. Set up a TCP/IP port on the computer using the following steps:
> >>
> >> a. Click on start, then Control Panel.
> >> b. Select Classic View.
> >> c. Double click on Printers.
> >> d. Right click anywhere in the space below the printer icons.
> >> e. Click Run as Administrator.
> >> f. Click Add Printer (ok permission).
> >> g. Click Add a Network, Wireless, or Bluetooth Printer.
> >> h. Select Stop.
> >> i. Select The Printer I Want Isn't Listed.
> >> j. Select Add a Printer Using TCP/IP Address or Host Name.
> >> k. Click Next.
> >> l. Under Device Type select TCP/IP Device.
> >> m. In Hostname or IP address enter IP address obtained from cd run ie;
> >> 192.168.1.103.
> >> n. Uncheck Query the printer and automatically select the driver to use.
> >> o. Click Next.
> >> p. It detects TCP/IP port - may take a few minutes.
> >> q. Select Custom.
> >> r. Click Settings.
> >> s. In Protocol select LPR.
> >> t. In Que Name, for port 1 type L1, for port 2 type L2, (referencing the
> >> port on print server),
> >> Check LPR Byte Counting Enabled.
> >> u. Click Ok.
> >> v. Click Next.
> >> w. Find Printer Manufacturer and Printer in List, Click Next.
> >> x. Select use current or replace driver.
> >> y. Alter name and/or select as default printer if desired.
> >> z. Print test page if desired and click Finish.
> >>

> >> "Purduette" <Purduette@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news1BE9E1B-D814-4FB4-A594-7B98C894D2BF@microsoft.com...

Patrick C

Re: wireless printer problems
If you happen to have a desktop up all the time using XP you can set the
printer up on the XP machine shared and set up the Vista laptop to print as
a remote printer but you have to set it up as follows (found this doing a
Google search on a problem):

"I had the same problem. I found a solution. Logically it makes no sense to
me, but it worked so...

Go to Control Panel. Choose printer. Then choose Add Printer.

ChooseAdd a local printer. Click on Create a new port. The default in the
drop down box is Local Port. Do not change that. Click Next.

A dialogue box will appear asking for you to enter a port name. Type in the
\\computer name\printer name ie. My computer's name is basement and the
printer name is EpsonSty so I typed in \\basement\epsonsty."

This may be a work a round till a better solution can be found.

"Purduette" <Purduette@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
newsD6CE279-9D80-4D28-BF1A-A79F4B62A525@microsoft.com...
> It was already set to that. Also tried it with it set to print directly to
> the printer w/ spooling and still no go. Plus, I tried to print to an HP
> printer wirelessly and had the same exact problem. So it's not the
> printer(s)....
>
> "Patrick C" wrote:
>
>> Otherwise try in printer properties, advanced, select start printing
>> after
>> last page is spooled.
>>
>> "Purduette" <Purduette@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thanks for the suggestion. Tried it but didn't help. Printer didn't
>> > print
>> > anything. Issue doesn't seem to be that the computer doesn't see the
>> > router
>> > or the printer -- acknowledges both fine and seems to send the info to
>> > the
>> > printer. But after printing a few lines, the printer just stops and
>> > won't
>> > print anything else.

Purduette

Re: wireless printer problems
I don't have a desktop. Just the laptop. And after h

"Patrick C" wrote:

> If you happen to have a desktop up all the time using XP you can set the
> printer up on the XP machine shared and set up the Vista laptop to print as
> a remote printer but you have to set it up as follows (found this doing a
> Google search on a problem):
>
> "I had the same problem. I found a solution. Logically it makes no sense to
> me, but it worked so...
>
> Go to Control Panel. Choose printer. Then choose Add Printer.
>
> ChooseAdd a local printer. Click on Create a new port. The default in the
> drop down box is Local Port. Do not change that. Click Next.
>
> A dialogue box will appear asking for you to enter a port name. Type in the
> \\computer name\printer name ie. My computer's name is basement and the
> printer name is EpsonSty so I typed in \\basement\epsonsty."
>
> This may be a work a round till a better solution can be found.
>

> "Purduette" <Purduette@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> newsD6CE279-9D80-4D28-BF1A-A79F4B62A525@microsoft.com...
> > It was already set to that. Also tried it with it set to print directly to
> > the printer w/ spooling and still no go. Plus, I tried to print to an HP
> > printer wirelessly and had the same exact problem. So it's not the
> > printer(s)....
> >
> > "Patrick C" wrote:
> >
> >> Otherwise try in printer properties, advanced, select start printing
> >> after
> >> last page is spooled.

Purduette

Re: wireless printer problems
I don't have a desktop. Just the laptop. And after hours with Dell, they're
sure it isn't a hardware issue. Have the same problem with an HP printer so
it's not that. And the router is also working fine. Seems like a Vista issue
to me but no one seems to be able to help me. Thanks for trying!