Can't fax or dial long distance numbers

Thorin

Can't fax or dial long distance numbers
I am having a problem with the Windows Vista telephony. I have the Wall
Line-Out plugged into the modem and the telephone plugged into the Line-In.
If I open up the line on the phone and tell Outlook (or Dialer.exe) to call
someone it works just fine as long as it is a local number with no area code.

The problem starts when I attempt to call someone long distance or send a
fax. In both instances I get a "this number cannot be dialed or is no longer
in service" error. If I pickup the phone and dial it manually it works fine
and I can connect so I know that I am not dialing the numbers incorrectly.

Faxing has the same issue and tell me that it cannot connect. If I dial the
number directly on the phone I get the familiar "fax tone."

I have configured the dialing rules for "My Locations" to include the area
code and my line is a simple POTS line around my house without any special
dialing rules. Could someone point me in the direction of a good
troubleshooting document or give me some tips on getting this to work?

Thanks.
Hal Hostetler [MVP P/I]

Re: Can't fax or dial long distance numbers
Telephone numbers must be stored in Canonical (International) format for
Dialing Rules to work:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/247192/en-us
You Must Enter Telephone Numbers in Canonical Form in Order to Use Dialing
Rules
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318575/en-us
Dialing rules may not be applied to tools such as Fax and Phone Dialer on
Windows XP-based and Windows Vista-based computers

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
Live at Hot Licks - www.badnewsbluesband.com

"Thorin" <Thorin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am having a problem with the Windows Vista telephony. I have the Wall
> Line-Out plugged into the modem and the telephone plugged into the

Line-In.
> If I open up the line on the phone and tell Outlook (or Dialer.exe) to

call
> someone it works just fine as long as it is a local number with no area

code.

> The problem starts when I attempt to call someone long distance or send a
> fax. In both instances I get a "this number cannot be dialed or is no

longer
> in service" error. If I pickup the phone and dial it manually it works

fine
> and I can connect so I know that I am not dialing the numbers incorrectly.
>
> Faxing has the same issue and tell me that it cannot connect. If I dial

the
> number directly on the phone I get the familiar "fax tone."
>
> I have configured the dialing rules for "My Locations" to include the area
> code and my line is a simple POTS line around my house without any special
> dialing rules. Could someone point me in the direction of a good
> troubleshooting document or give me some tips on getting this to work?
>
> Thanks.

Azim

Re: Can't fax or dial long distance numbers
You can apply dialing rules on Windows XP. But it does not seem to work in
Vista.