Scanner Drivers

Walter Goldschmidt

Scanner Drivers
Where can I get the drivers and application software in order to use my
Mustek scanner? It is model MFS---1200sp. I've tried Mustek website and they
don't have the software for this scanner. I've done internet searches to no
avail. It is an older scanner but it works well and it is just sitting there
doing nothing. Appreciate any replies.
Thanks Walter

Tom Lake

Re: Scanner Drivers

"Walter Goldschmidt" <waltergoldschmidt@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Where can I get the drivers and application software in order to use my Mustek
> scanner? It is model MFS---1200sp. I've tried Mustek website and they don't have
> the software for this scanner. I've done internet searches to no avail. It is an
> older scanner but it works well and it is just sitting there doing nothing.
> Appreciate any replies.
> Thanks Walter

If Mustek doesn't have any and none are included with Vista, I'm afraid you're
SOL. Have you tried the Win 2000 or XP drivers to see if they'd work?

Tom Lake

Dave

Re: Scanner Drivers
I was going to suggest Vuescan, but it won't work either.
http://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/vuescan.htm#unsupported

--
Vista Home Premium 32 SP1
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

"Walter Goldschmidt" <waltergoldschmidt@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Where can I get the drivers and application software in order to use my
> Mustek scanner? It is model MFS---1200sp. I've tried Mustek website and
> they don't have the software for this scanner. I've done internet searches
> to no avail. It is an older scanner but it works well and it is just
> sitting there doing nothing. Appreciate any replies.
> Thanks Walter

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Scanner Drivers
The best of the Mustek websites to try is www.mustek.de and if there are no
XP or Vista drivers there, then I'm afraid it's time to find a manufacturer
that does support the latest operating systems.
--
Cari (MS-MVP) Printing & Imaging
www.coribright.com/windows

"Walter Goldschmidt" <waltergoldschmidt@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Where can I get the drivers and application software in order to use my
> Mustek scanner? It is model MFS---1200sp. I've tried Mustek website and
> they don't have the software for this scanner. I've done internet searches
> to no avail. It is an older scanner but it works well and it is just
> sitting there doing nothing. Appreciate any replies.
> Thanks Walter

Ken Blake, MVP

Re: Scanner Drivers
On Tue, 27 May 2008 09:01:29 -0400, "Walter Goldschmidt"
<waltergoldschmidt@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Where can I get the drivers and application software in order to use my
> Mustek scanner? It is model MFS---1200sp. I've tried Mustek website and they
> don't have the software for this scanner. I've done internet searches to no
> avail. It is an older scanner but it works well and it is just sitting there
> doing nothing. Appreciate any replies.

If Mustek doesn't have one, I'm afraid you're out of luck.

I/O drivers are the responsibility of the I/O device manufacturers.
Microsoft doesn't write them.

Exactly the same situation occurs with every new operating system, and
there's absolutely nothing special in this regard about Vista. Each
manufacturer of scanners (as well as other devices: printers, etc.)
decides for itself whether or not to incur the trouble and expense of
developing new drivers for its older products. If the product is in
current production, it probably will develop them. If it's a little
older, it may or not. And if it's old enough, they will probably
decide that's it doesn't make economic sense to develop a driver for
the new operating system.

No scanner manufacturer will sell you a scanner with a guarantee that
it will work with today's operating system and also with all new
operating systems that may be released in the future.

So whenever you buy a device like a printer or scanner, buy it with
the realization that although it may work with today's operating
system, it may or may not work with tomorrow's. For many people, the
lack of needed drivers for older hardware is a factor that stops them
from upgrading their operating system. And before upgrading,
*everyone* should make sure that they know whether all their hardware
is supported in the new operating system.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Bender

Re: Scanner Drivers
I keep an old laptop around running Windows XP Pro with the scanner plugged
into it. I then remote to the laptop to use the scanner (though I could use
the laptop directly). I save the scans to a shared network location which is
on my Vista computer.
This setup is close to actually having the scanner running on my Vista
computer. The XP application for the scanner works as expected and the scans
show up on my Vista computer. I could of course scan directly to the laptop,
but the hard drive fills up quickly and I would have to do an extra step of
copying the scans to my main computer.

In Vista I can use Windows Live Photo Gallery to stitch my scans together
into one nearly perfect seamless scan. This works great for some items that
require 8 scans to capture the whole large area, 4 per side. I select the 8
images and let Windows Live Photo Gallery do its thing, unsupervised. Works
great.

"Walter Goldschmidt" <waltergoldschmidt@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Where can I get the drivers and application software in order to use my
> Mustek scanner? It is model MFS---1200sp. I've tried Mustek website and
> they don't have the software for this scanner. I've done internet searches
> to no avail. It is an older scanner but it works well and it is just
> sitting there doing nothing. Appreciate any replies.
> Thanks Walter

Sinner

Re: Scanner Drivers

"Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message

> If Mustek doesn't have one, I'm afraid you're out of luck.
>
> I/O drivers are the responsibility of the I/O device manufacturers.
> Microsoft doesn't write them.
>
> Exactly the same situation occurs with every new operating system, and
> there's absolutely nothing special in this regard about Vista.

Actually, I'm beginning to believe that the device manufacturers pray for a
new OS, so they can sell a bunch of new hardware.