Can only Print "As Admin"

Ray

Can only Print "As Admin"
Just recently purchased a Lexmark X3550 (which is Vista Certified [for what
it's worth]) ... At any rate, after installing the software (trying
everything except installing it using compatibility mode) I can only print a
test page by right clicking on the printer choosing "Run as administrator"
and clicking properties. From here I can print a test page without any
problems.

However, if I simply right click the printer and select properties I cannot
print a test page. And I can't print anything else either. Any attempts
result in a "Cannot Communicate with Printer" message that tells me the USB
cable isn't connected or the printer is turned off (which it obviously isn't).

Furthermore, the computer in question only has one account configured on it
and it's configured as an administrator. All of the settings under the
security tab (under properties) are set to allow. Also, I was able to get the
printer installed on my system so I know it's not the printer or cable ....
But some crazy Vista setting that is differnt on the two machines.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Hirtzy

Re: Can only Print "As Admin"

I am experiencing a similar problem. In my case it is a FX Docuprint
C2090 FS. The printer itself is networked through a router, with the
laptop connected wirelessly. The vista driver installed successfully on
the Vista Business laptop. I am logged on as an administrator.

But when you print to the printer everything appears normal but nothing
prints. The print spooler loads properly - the document appears in the
spooler momentarily (1 or 2 seconds) but then disappears quickly (very
unusual) - but leaves the spooler loaded in the system tray with zero
documents pending for about 30 seconds after the document disappears -
no errors reported.

The only way that I can print is when I right click on the printers
icon and select "run as administrator - properties" and print a test
page. This leads me to believe that it is an issue with vista security
(administrator privileges).

Any Suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

--
Hirtzy
Hirtzy's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=50750

http://forums.techarena.in

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Can only Print "As Admin"
Look in the System event log. If you are getting access denied, there
should be a 6161 print event with error 5.

What I've seen in the past (not from Fuji-Xerox) is the driver writes
temporary files to a location that the user does not have write access to.

Will any of the Fuji drivers included in Vista print to the device? I'm
assuming you are using the 18 February 2008 drivers.

Is the device configured to print to a Standard TCP/IP Port?

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"Hirtzy" <Hirtzy.3a9eje@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> I am experiencing a similar problem. In my case it is a FX Docuprint
> C2090 FS. The printer itself is networked through a router, with the
> laptop connected wirelessly. The vista driver installed successfully on
> the Vista Business laptop. I am logged on as an administrator.
>
> But when you print to the printer everything appears normal but nothing
> prints. The print spooler loads properly - the document appears in the
> spooler momentarily (1 or 2 seconds) but then disappears quickly (very
> unusual) - but leaves the spooler loaded in the system tray with zero
> documents pending for about 30 seconds after the document disappears -
> no errors reported.
>
> The only way that I can print is when I right click on the printers
> icon and select "run as administrator - properties" and print a test
> page. This leads me to believe that it is an issue with vista security
> (administrator privileges).
>
> Any Suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
>

> --
> Hirtzy
> Hirtzy's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=50750
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=975596
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

Hirtzy

Re: Can only Print "As Admin"

Hi Alan

Thanks for your quick response.

I have checked the Vista Event Viewer under system and did not find any
"6161 print event with error 5". The possible problem you have
identified in that the "driver tries to write temporary files to a
location that the user does not have write access to" makes sense and
seems very logical.

The vista compatible driver that I was referring to was the latest from
the Fuji Xerox Australia website. I have also tried using the inbuilt
vista driver to no avail. (same problem).

The only errors in the event log which were present around a similar
time as the problem when using the FX drivers was "DistributedCOM -
eventID 10016" I was not able to replicate the error using the inbuilt
vista driver, so its probably a coincidence.

The printer is currently at the local Xerox dealer being re-flashed
with the latest firmware. Fingers crossed this will resolve the issue,
although I don't see how the firmware could have any effect on the
problem seeing as i can print to the printer using multiple XP pro and
home PC's without problem.

Will keep you posted.

Cheers
Ben

--
Hirtzy
Hirtzy's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=50750
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=975596

http://forums.techarena.in

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Can only Print "As Admin"
If the device supports a Language Monitor disable it on the Ports tab of the
printer properties. If Enable bidirectional support is checked, uncheck
(Run as administrator) and see if this allows the unelevated admin user
print access.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team