Windows Fax and Scan cannot run as it cannot access your documents folder

seb111 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Windows Fax and Scan cannot run as it cannot access your documents folder
When trying to launch win fax & scan I get an error: "Windows Fax and Scan cannot run as it cannot access your documents folder ..."

The MyDocuments folder is in my F: drive partition. I'd like to keep it there since that where I store my data files for back-up, but I'm willing to create another Documents folder where fax & scan can access it.

Please advise.

Thanks.
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Re: Windows Fax and Scan cannot run as it cannot access your documents folder
You cannot move your Documents folder to the root of any drive.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"seb111" <seb111.39vpwf@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> When trying to launch win fax & scan I get an error: "Windows Fax and
> Scan cannot run as it cannot access your documents folder ..."
>
> The MyDocuments folder is in my F: drive partition. I'd like to keep it
> there since that where I store my data files for back-up, but I'm
> willing to create another Documents folder where fax & scan can access
> it.
>
> Please advise.
>
> Thanks.
>

> --
> seb111

seb111 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks ... I'd appreciate a bit more help
Thanks for your prompt reply, Russ.

I just made a new folder on my F: drive, but I'm not sure the best way to move the "My Documents" folder there since there is no location tab on itsproperties window. I do have another folder in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents, but its properties window doesn't have a way to type in a new location either. BTW, there have been times I noticed the My Documents folder refered to as "1Documents" (or something like that).

Is there a way to create a new Documents folder in a sub-folder on my F: drive, so I can copy my files to it from the My Documents folders I created? I'm willing to do Registry mods if necessary.

Thanks again.
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Re: Windows Fax and Scan cannot run as it cannot access your documents folder
There is more to your story than you have revealed. The precise steps you
used to move your Documents folder would be nice to know. Just make sure you
never place it in the root of any drive. If you do, WFS will never find it.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"seb111" <seb111.39vu42@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> Thanks for your prompt reply, Russ.
>
> I just made a new folder on my F: drive, but I'm not sure the best way
> to move the "My Documents" folder there since there is no location tab
> on itsproperties window. I do have another folder in C:\Documents and
> Settings\All Users\Documents, but its properties window doesn't have a
> way to type in a new location either. BTW, there have been times I
> noticed the My Documents folder refered to as "1Documents" (or something
> like that).
>
> Is there a way to create a new Documents folder in a sub-folder on my
> F: drive, so I can copy my files to it from the My Documents folders I
> created? I'm willing to do Registry mods if necessary.
>
> Thanks again.
>

> --
> seb111

seb111 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How Documents folder was moved
I moved it months ago, when I first got Vista, and don't remeber the exact steps. I either cut & pasted it to my F: drive, or created a new folder in F: and deleted it from C:

I don't recall seeing anything in the Vista help menu discussing the implications of moving that folder (or keeping it out of the root), btw.
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Re: Windows Fax and Scan cannot run as it cannot access your documents folder
Just because it isn't in the Help file doesn't mean it isn't so.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"seb111" <seb111.39wzs6@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> I moved it months ago, when I first got Vista, and don't remeber the
> exact steps. I either cut & pasted it to my F: drive, or created a new
> folder in F: and deleted it from C:
>
> I don't recall seeing anything in the Vista help menu discussing the
> implications of moving that folder (or keeping it out of the root), btw.
>

> --
> seb111

seb111 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wan't questioning your explanation, you obviously know what you're talking about! I'm just suggesting that there should be an obvious warning in Vista about moving the Documents folder.

Anyway, is there a solution to my issue? Anthing other than reinsatalling Vista?
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Re: Windows Fax and Scan cannot run as it cannot access your documents folder
I already posted the solution. Microsoft has documented the issues that WFS
is facing when the documents folder is redirected to the root of a drive
(e.g. d:\). A quick workaround is to move the documents folder to a folder
under the root of the drive (e.g. to d:\DocumentFolder) with the option to
move all existing documents to the new location. This should allow WFS to
work.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"seb111" <seb111.39x5cd@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> I wan't questioning your explanation, you obviously know what you're
> talking about! I'm just suggesting that there should be an obvious
> warning in Vista about moving the Documents folder.
>
> Anyway, is there a solution to my issue? Anthing other than
> reinsatalling Vista?
>

> --
> seb111

seb111 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Solution - Create a new user account
FYI - I couldn't move the Documents folder because there is no Locations tab in properties, and Fax & Scan couldn't recognize it's new location with copy-paste or drag & drop.

So, I had to create a new user account and was then able to move the documents folder to a sub folder in my other drive. Since I wasn't able to copy the original user profile to the new user account, and don't yet have the time to build he new profile to duplicate the original, I now have two user account and will use the new one to fax/scan.
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Re: Windows Fax and Scan cannot run as it cannot access your documents folder
FYI. Everyone else has been able to do this without a problem. I've seen no
repros so far on your description. Neither have the developers to my
knowledge.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]