Windows Fax & Scan

Stewart ferguson

Windows Fax & Scan
This may be a Office 2007 question. I use Windows Fax & Scan and Outlook
2007. I am unable to choose a recipient from Outlook 2007 Contacts correctly
to use in Windows Fax & Scan. When I click on the To: Button in Windows Fax &
Scan I only get three columns shown. Name, Display Name and E-mail Address.
If the intended recipient does not have an email adress their name does not
appear. What am I setting up incorrectly. I can not see an option in Windows
Fax & Scan. Is it a Outlook setting. Any help would be appreciated.

Stewart
Hal Hostetler [MVP P/I]

Re: Windows Fax & Scan
The three column display is normal for the local Contacts folder. Do these
recipients have valid entries in one of the Fax fields (Business, Home,
Other)? I have essentially the same setup, Vista Ultimate with Outlook
2007, and any contact I have that has a valid Fax number entered in one of
the Fax fields shows up in the list when the "To:" button is clicked on a
new fax, regardless of whether it has a regular email address entered or not
(several of my contacts have only a Fax number, nothing more). Outlook's
normal Contacts behavior is to present all valid "email" addresses (and Fax
numbers are considered such) when clicking the To: button in any application
that integrates with and uses the Contacts folder. There is no setting to
modify this behavior. Note that any phone number entered into Contacts must
be in Canonical (International) format for everything to work properly:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=318575
Dialing rules may not be applied to tools such as Fax and Phone Dialer on
Windows XP-based and Windows Vista-based computers

Incorrect phone number format can prevent Outlook from seeing the number as
a valid address.

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
Live at Hot Licks - www.badnewsbluesband.com

"Stewart ferguson" <Stewartferguson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:62DCF896-93C9-4316-90E4-4DCA0E88F2EF@microsoft.com...
> This may be a Office 2007 question. I use Windows Fax & Scan and Outlook
> 2007. I am unable to choose a recipient from Outlook 2007 Contacts

correctly
> to use in Windows Fax & Scan. When I click on the To: Button in Windows

Fax &
> Scan I only get three columns shown. Name, Display Name and E-mail

Address.
> If the intended recipient does not have an email adress their name does

not
> appear. What am I setting up incorrectly. I can not see an option in Windo

ws
> Fax & Scan. Is it a Outlook setting. Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Stewart

Stewart ferguson

Re: Windows Fax & Scan
Thanks Hal.

Just got back into work this morning and read your post.

All my fax and telephone numbers are in the format +44 (01234) 567890 which
I have always done in previous versions of Outlook.... but could that be the
problem. My current address book was exported from my previous computer
(Vista and Outlook 2007) at my previous employers which in turn has
previously gone through some other exports and imports. Including Palm Pilots
and Blackberries.

I tried deleting and then re-entering some fax number in some of my contacts
and it worked. Fax number now shows up. Thanks for that.

Unfortunately I have over 900 contacts!! Any suggestions??!!

Stewart

"Hal Hostetler [MVP P/I]" wrote:

> The three column display is normal for the local Contacts folder. Do these
> recipients have valid entries in one of the Fax fields (Business, Home,
> Other)? I have essentially the same setup, Vista Ultimate with Outlook
> 2007, and any contact I have that has a valid Fax number entered in one of
> the Fax fields shows up in the list when the "To:" button is clicked on a
> new fax, regardless of whether it has a regular email address entered or not
> (several of my contacts have only a Fax number, nothing more). Outlook's
> normal Contacts behavior is to present all valid "email" addresses (and Fax
> numbers are considered such) when clicking the To: button in any application
> that integrates with and uses the Contacts folder. There is no setting to
> modify this behavior. Note that any phone number entered into Contacts must
> be in Canonical (International) format for everything to work properly:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=318575
> Dialing rules may not be applied to tools such as Fax and Phone Dialer on
> Windows XP-based and Windows Vista-based computers
>
> Incorrect phone number format can prevent Outlook from seeing the number as
> a valid address.
>
> Hal
> --
> Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
> Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-Print/Imaging -- WA7BGX
> Live at Hot Licks - www.badnewsbluesband.com
>
> "Stewart ferguson" <Stewartferguson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:62DCF896-93C9-4316-90E4-4DCA0E88F2EF@microsoft.com...
> > This may be a Office 2007 question. I use Windows Fax & Scan and Outlook
> > 2007. I am unable to choose a recipient from Outlook 2007 Contacts

> correctly
> > to use in Windows Fax & Scan. When I click on the To: Button in Windows

> Fax &
> > Scan I only get three columns shown. Name, Display Name and E-mail

> Address.
> > If the intended recipient does not have an email adress their name does

> not
> > appear. What am I setting up incorrectly. I can not see an option in Windo

> ws
> > Fax & Scan. Is it a Outlook setting. Any help would be appreciated.
> >
> > Stewart

Hal Hostetler [MVP P/I]

Re: Windows Fax & Scan
This is likely due to the Palm/BB sync and/or the export /import, email
addresses don't always "resolve" which prevents them from underlining when
used and appearing in address lists. One thing to take note of for the
future is to NEVER use Outlook's .PST import and export functions, they are
broken and have been, they lose data, and the .PST import function usually
corrupts the Outlook profile in use at the time. Instead, just make a copy
of current, default .PST file when Outlook is closed, take that copy to your
new computer, put it in a folder where it will NOT overwrite any existing
..PST files, make sure it isn't set Read Only (which will happen if you use a
CD to transfer it, then open it from within Outlook using 'File|Open|Outlook
Data File'; drag what you need from the copy to the default on your new
machine, or set it as default and keep using it.

As to the 900 contacts, see if this nifty little utility can help with that:

http://www.chapura.com/downloads_utilities.php
Resolve E-mail Address Utility

Hal
--

message news:430FC5F5-68E8-4BCC-BB52-0BD1DC70E2CB@microsoft.com...
> [...]

> > message news:62DCF896-93C9-4316-90E4-4DCA0E88F2EF@microsoft.com...
> > > This may be a Office 2007 question. I use Windows Fax & Scan and

Outlook
> > > 2007. I am unable to choose a recipient from Outlook 2007 Contacts

> > correctly
> > > to use in Windows Fax & Scan. When I click on the To: Button in

Windows
> > Fax &
> > > Scan I only get three columns shown. Name, Display Name and E-mail

> > Address.
> > > If the intended recipient does not have an email adress their name

does
> > not
> > > appear. What am I setting up incorrectly. I can not see an option in

Windo
> > ws
> > > Fax & Scan. Is it a Outlook setting. Any help would be appreciated.

Stewart ferguson

Re: Windows Fax & Scan
Hal,

Thanks for that. Bit surprised (and dissapointed) about the Outlook
import/export problem. I have used this for years and neber new about the
problem. This is the firts time it has caused me a problem. I will try the
links you gave me and see if that helps.

Thanks

Stewart