Vista SP1 Print Driver Errors

Ken M.

Vista SP1 Print Driver Errors
Vista KB article below seemed like the cure to my print driver install
errors. What this article ACTUALLY did was take me on a journey that ended
up at Vista Service Pack 1.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940199/en-us

Vista KB article references driver install errors and a HOTFIX. HOTFIX only
available via Microsoft Customer Service. Customer Service no longer has
HOTFIX.

Why? Because the driver install error HOTFIX is now a part of Vista SP1.

So I started to backtrack... I already had Vista SP1 installed, but I was
still getting driver install errors. Prior to Vista SP1, I installed a
BlackBerry, Microsoft Mouse/Keyboard, iPod Classic, Speakers and a Monitor
without a problem. Pre SP1 - install, Post SP1 - no install.

I uninstalled Vista SP1. I ran the Vista driver install off of the Canon
Website. Printer installed without a problem.

Do any of the MVP's have an idea of when these driver install errors will be
addressed with SP1? Vista driver problems have plagued this OS since Beta
and RC days. Vista does not need the bad press. I hope it is fixed soon so
that we can reinstall SP1 and take advantage of the issues it corrects.
Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Vista SP1 Print Driver Errors
the core system setup file that addresses creating a corrupted infcache.1
file is included in SP1.

This issue is not printer specific and interferes with the installation of
any PnP device drivers included in Vista. If the problem you experience
only pertains to the print driver installation, the core setup fix will not
address the issue.

If you installed SP1, then uninstalled, the setup binaries would have
corrected the corrupted infcache.1 file in that process.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"Ken M." <KenM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Vista KB article below seemed like the cure to my print driver install
> errors. What this article ACTUALLY did was take me on a journey that
> ended
> up at Vista Service Pack 1.

> Vista KB article references driver install errors and a HOTFIX. HOTFIX
> only
> available via Microsoft Customer Service. Customer Service no longer has
> HOTFIX.
>
> Why? Because the driver install error HOTFIX is now a part of Vista SP1.
>
> So I started to backtrack... I already had Vista SP1 installed, but I was
> still getting driver install errors. Prior to Vista SP1, I installed a
> BlackBerry, Microsoft Mouse/Keyboard, iPod Classic, Speakers and a Monitor
> without a problem. Pre SP1 - install, Post SP1 - no install.
>
> I uninstalled Vista SP1. I ran the Vista driver install off of the Canon
> Website. Printer installed without a problem.
>
> Do any of the MVP's have an idea of when these driver install errors will
> be
> addressed with SP1? Vista driver problems have plagued this OS since Beta
> and RC days. Vista does not need the bad press. I hope it is fixed soon
> so
> that we can reinstall SP1 and take advantage of the issues it corrects.

Ken M.

Re: Vista SP1 Print Driver Errors
Thanks for the response, Alan.

If the uninstall fixed the corrupted infcache.1 file - do you suggest
uninstalling AND reinstalling SP1 to resolve this issue?

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

> the core system setup file that addresses creating a corrupted infcache.1
> file is included in SP1.
>
> This issue is not printer specific and interferes with the installation of
> any PnP device drivers included in Vista. If the problem you experience
> only pertains to the print driver installation, the core setup fix will not
> address the issue.
>
> If you installed SP1, then uninstalled, the setup binaries would have
> corrected the corrupted infcache.1 file in that process.
>
> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> "Ken M." <KenM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Vista KB article below seemed like the cure to my print driver install
> > errors. What this article ACTUALLY did was take me on a journey that
> > ended
> > up at Vista Service Pack 1.

> > Vista KB article references driver install errors and a HOTFIX. HOTFIX
> > only
> > available via Microsoft Customer Service. Customer Service no longer has
> > HOTFIX.
> >
> > Why? Because the driver install error HOTFIX is now a part of Vista SP1.
> >
> > So I started to backtrack... I already had Vista SP1 installed, but I was
> > still getting driver install errors. Prior to Vista SP1, I installed a
> > BlackBerry, Microsoft Mouse/Keyboard, iPod Classic, Speakers and a Monitor
> > without a problem. Pre SP1 - install, Post SP1 - no install.
> >
> > I uninstalled Vista SP1. I ran the Vista driver install off of the Canon
> > Website. Printer installed without a problem.
> >
> > Do any of the MVP's have an idea of when these driver install errors will
> > be
> > addressed with SP1? Vista driver problems have plagued this OS since Beta
> > and RC days. Vista does not need the bad press. I hope it is fixed soon
> > so
> > that we can reinstall SP1 and take advantage of the issues it corrects.

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Vista SP1 Print Driver Errors
Most likely. Did the error you receive match the one listed in the KB? I
know when people hit this during printer installation, the PnP install
failed so they went the manual route to install a local printer. When they
got to the list of print drivers it was blank or only had one print driver
listed.

--

> Thanks for the response, Alan.
>
> If the uninstall fixed the corrupted infcache.1 file - do you suggest
> uninstalling AND reinstalling SP1 to resolve this issue?
>
> "Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> the core system setup file that addresses creating a corrupted infcache.1
>> file is included in SP1.
>>
>> This issue is not printer specific and interferes with the installation
>> of
>> any PnP device drivers included in Vista. If the problem you experience
>> only pertains to the print driver installation, the core setup fix will
>> not
>> address the issue.
>>
>> If you installed SP1, then uninstalled, the setup binaries would have
>> corrected the corrupted infcache.1 file in that process.
>>
>> --
>> Alan Morris
>> Windows Printing Team
>> http://support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1

>> rights.
>>
>> "Ken M." <KenM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Vista KB article below seemed like the cure to my print driver install
>> > errors. What this article ACTUALLY did was take me on a journey that
>> > ended
>> > up at Vista Service Pack 1.
>> >
>> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940199/en-us
>> >
>> > Vista KB article references driver install errors and a HOTFIX. HOTFIX
>> > only
>> > available via Microsoft Customer Service. Customer Service no longer
>> > has
>> > HOTFIX.
>> >
>> > Why? Because the driver install error HOTFIX is now a part of Vista
>> > SP1.
>> >
>> > So I started to backtrack... I already had Vista SP1 installed, but I
>> > was
>> > still getting driver install errors. Prior to Vista SP1, I installed a
>> > BlackBerry, Microsoft Mouse/Keyboard, iPod Classic, Speakers and a
>> > Monitor
>> > without a problem. Pre SP1 - install, Post SP1 - no install.
>> >
>> > I uninstalled Vista SP1. I ran the Vista driver install off of the
>> > Canon
>> > Website. Printer installed without a problem.
>> >
>> > Do any of the MVP's have an idea of when these driver install errors
>> > will
>> > be
>> > addressed with SP1? Vista driver problems have plagued this OS since
>> > Beta
>> > and RC days. Vista does not need the bad press. I hope it is fixed
>> > soon
>> > so
>> > that we can reinstall SP1 and take advantage of the issues it corrects.

Ken M.

Re: Vista SP1 Print Driver Errors
During several of my install attempts, the Windows Assistant popped up with I
errored out and tried to find a fix for me. It would take me to the site
that most likely had the old HOTFIX on it because after it ran, it told me
that I did not need the download (they system probably saw that I had SP1
that included the HOTFIX already installed). Also after researching my error
out on this site and several others, all "help" pointed me to that obsolete
HOTFIX.

Prior to SP1, that HOTFIX probably worked. Perhaps when it was bundled with
SP1, something happens that corrupts the HOTFIX or somethng strange happens
that causes that infcache.1 file to go bad.

What I can add here is that I did reinstall SP1 without issue and today I
loaded a new MS Laptop Mouse 4000 - the driver install did not give me any
problems.

If there are repeated issues of this infcache.1 file becoming corrupted
after installing SP1, we may (ironically) need a HOTFIX to fix the HOTFIX
that got plugged into SP1! Either that or rewrite the install script to
check that infcache.1 did not get corrupted prior to exiting the SP1 install
(probably too late for that).

Thanks again, Alan, for your follow up.