Thunking Spooler APIS from 32 to 64 process has stopped working

GKB

Thunking Spooler APIS from 32 to 64 process has stopped working

Hi,
I'm using a Canon MP800R multifunction printer/scanner. The problem is,
I can't install it on my network. Canon were not very helpful and said
it was a "Vista specific issue", not "Canon specific".
Canon use a weird install procedure starting with a USB connection and
then migrating to wireless or wired. The printer WILL work via USB but
when I try to configure for a network using the Canon IJ Network Tool
version 2.2.1, I can't complete the printer configuration. Either manual
or automatic search for ip address causes the appcrash.

I'm using the latest drivers 1.10 64 bit, Canon IJ network tool version
2.2.1; MP navigator 2.12 which are supposed to be for Vista 64.

I guess the setup software (IJ network tool) is 32bit, so the crash
involves splwow64.exe?

What's the solution?
1) Let it go and be grateful the machine works at all
2) Hope that Vista will make a hotfix eventually
3) Hope that Canon will do the decent thing and invest some money to
make a proper 64bit IJ network tool

Any thoughts? It seems crazy to have a network printer unworkable
except for USB, but at least it will print/scan!

--
GKB
Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Thunking Spooler APIS from 32 to 64 process has stopped working
splwow64 is a software layer that translates 32bit application print
commands so the 64bit spooler will understand what to do.

I could never get the IJ network software to install on x64.

Are you running SP1?

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"GKB" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hi,
> I'm using a Canon MP800R multifunction printer/scanner. The problem is,
> I can't install it on my network. Canon were not very helpful and said
> it was a "Vista specific issue", not "Canon specific".
> Canon use a weird install procedure starting with a USB connection and
> then migrating to wireless or wired. The printer WILL work via USB but
> when I try to configure for a network using the Canon IJ Network Tool
> version 2.2.1, I can't complete the printer configuration. Either manual
> or automatic search for ip address causes the appcrash.
>
> I'm using the latest drivers 1.10 64 bit, Canon IJ network tool version
> 2.2.1; MP navigator 2.12 which are supposed to be for Vista 64.
>
> I guess the setup software (IJ network tool) is 32bit, so the crash
> involves splwow64.exe?
>
> What's the solution?
> 1) Let it go and be grateful the machine works at all
> 2) Hope that Vista will make a hotfix eventually
> 3) Hope that Canon will do the decent thing and invest some money to
> make a proper 64bit IJ network tool
>
> Any thoughts? It seems crazy to have a network printer unworkable
> except for USB, but at least it will print/scan!
>

> --
> GKB

GKB

Re: Thunking Spooler APIS from 32 to 64 process has stopped working

Alan, thanks for your reply.
Yes, I'm running SP1. Just had yet another email from Canon tech
support.
Now they tell me that I'm the only one describing this problem and
they've got a 64 bit Vista machine to install the same printer with no
problems. So, it's a "computer specific" problem now!
I'm thinking their "support" is a joke. So, it's back to the trusty old
USB.

--
GKB