Sharing printer problem

Roque

Sharing printer problem
Hello.
I have 4 computers connected to my wireless network.The main one connected
to a local Printer,sharing all 4 computers with no problem , but recently
added a new laptop vista ultimate to my network,the printer is visible on
the laptop,but when I go to print,
I have error message(windows need file INF to preside the installation.

Any idea???

Thanks

Roque

Location: South Wales
Marwood is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like the printer driver hasn't been installed on the laptop.
Patrick C

Re: Printer sharing - XP host, Vista laptop
I had a similar problem and found the following doing a Google search:

"I had the same problem. I found a solution. Logically it makes no sense
to me, but it worked so...

Go to Control Panel. Choose printer. Then choose Add Printer.

ChooseAdd a local printer. Click on Create a new port. The default in the
drop down box is Local Port. Do not change that. Click Next.

A dialogue box will appear asking for you to enter a port name. Type in the
\\computer name\printer name ie. My computer's name is basement and the
printer name is EpsonSty so I typed in \\basement\epsonsty"

Hope it works for you.

"Marwood" <Marwood.39de83@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> Hi all,
>
> I've got an issue with printer sharing with a client's PC setup.
>
> *The setup is:*
> Desktop with XP Home (Windows Firewall, all Norton crap removed, LLDP
> responder patched, in the workgroup WORKGROUP). Logs in to Admin
> account, with no password. Guest account is disabled.
>
> This is connected by RJ45 to the router, which connects wirelessly to:
>
> Vista Home Premium Laptop (Vista firewall, Norton 360 removed,
> workgroup WORKGROUP).
>
> The XP machine is perfectly happy - it can see the laptop, and shared
> folders.
>

> *The problem:*
> Vista is less happy - it can see the XP machine in the network map, but
> as others have remarked previously, the machine is unclickable. ie -
> cannot intiate a connection to XP shared resources from Vista. As far
> as I recall they have no problem pinging each other.
>
> I'm using a synchronisation program, which runs from XP - this can
> access, read and write to Vista's shares, and basically has no problems.
> This is set to log onto that machine using the Vista user account and
> password.
>
> The XP machine has a locally attached HP printer, which is shared via
> XP printer sharing.
>
> Vista laptop is completely oblivious to the presence of this printer,
> via Browse for Printer, server path style address: \\Desktop\HP , or any
> other method of trying to get it to notice it. It just will not see
> it.
>
> Can anyone shed any light on what the heck I can do to get this printer
> shared? If any more info is needed, just ask.
>
> Thanks.
>

> --
> Marwood

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Sharing printer problem
Which operating systems are all the PCs running? Which make and model of
printer is this?
--
Cari (MS-MVP) Printing & Imaging
www.coribright.com/windows