Unable to Remove Printers in Control Panel

mishutka

Unable to Remove Printers in Control Panel

I'm at my wits' end and don't know what to do next -- HELP!

I have Vista Home Premium on a 36-bit computer. I unstalled a local USB
Dell printer and it was working fine. Then it started printing tiny
letters, then stopped printing at all and printer icons disappeared
from the Control Panel.

I used Windows Update and installed Service Pack 1. The printer icons
are back, but there are now multiple copies of the printer which I'm
unable to delete. At restart, the printer prints the same page each
time.

I went into Services, stopped and restarted the spooler to no effect.
Would appreciate any thoughts on how to fix this.

--
mishutka
mishutka's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=48516

http://forums.techarena.in

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Unable to Remove Printers in Control Panel
right click on the printer
Run as administrator

Only the Owner can delete the printer when not running as administrator and
Plug and Play does not create the printer in the users context.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"mishutka" <mishutka.391ynd@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> I'm at my wits' end and don't know what to do next -- HELP!
>
> I have Vista Home Premium on a 36-bit computer. I unstalled a local USB
> Dell printer and it was working fine. Then it started printing tiny
> letters, then stopped printing at all and printer icons disappeared
> from the Control Panel.
>
> I used Windows Update and installed Service Pack 1. The printer icons
> are back, but there are now multiple copies of the printer which I'm
> unable to delete. At restart, the printer prints the same page each
> time.
>
> I went into Services, stopped and restarted the spooler to no effect.
> Would appreciate any thoughts on how to fix this.
>

> --
> mishutka
> mishutka's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=48516
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=963633
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

mishutka

Re: Unable to Remove Printers in Control Panel

Thanks, Alan, I tried that before and it didn't work either. I'm the
only user on this machine and my account is set as administrator.

--
mishutka
mishutka's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=48516
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=963633

http://forums.techarena.in

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Unable to Remove Printers in Control Panel
Make sure you delete any pending print jobs. The printer cannot be deleted
until the print jobs are deleted.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"mishutka" <mishutka.39247c@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> Thanks, Alan, I tried that before and it didn't work either. I'm the
> only user on this machine and my account is set as administrator.
>

> --
> mishutka
> mishutka's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=48516
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=963633
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

mishutka

Re: Unable to Remove Printers in Control Panel

I deleted all printing jobs from the queue, and stopped and restarted
the spooler. But when I restart the computer, the printer prints one of
my e-mail messages (same each time). Where else could a pending job be
"hiding"? Thanks for your help!

--
mishutka
mishutka's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=48516
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=963633

http://forums.techarena.in

Tom Ferguson

Re: Unable to Remove Printers in Control Panel
You might have to navigate to ...\spool\printers in Windows explorer and
delete all the file there if you have not already).
--

Tom
MSMVP 1998-2007

"mishutka" <mishutka.3944fc@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> I deleted all printing jobs from the queue, and stopped and restarted
> the spooler. But when I restart the computer, the printer prints one of
> my e-mail messages (same each time). Where else could a pending job be
> "hiding"? Thanks for your help!
>

> --
> mishutka
> mishutka's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=48516
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=963633
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

mishutka

Re: Unable to Remove Printers in Control Panel

I manually deleted the files from the .../spool/printers folder -- BUT
there are 2 persistent .shd files that won't delete ("file is in use")
even after reboot. Any ideas on how I can purge them? Many thanks!

--
mishutka
mishutka's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=48516
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=963633

http://forums.techarena.in

.Joe

mishutka;713541 Wrote:
> I manually deleted the files from the .../spool/printers folder -- BUT
> there are 2 persistent .shd files that won't delete ("file is in use")
> even after reboot. Any ideas on how I can purge them? Many thanks!
>

> --
> mishutka
> mishutka's Profile: 'mishutka's profile on TechArena Computer Hardware
> Support Forums of India'
> (http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=48516)
> View this thread: 'Unable to Remove Printers in Control Panel - Vista
> Print and Fax' (http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=963633)
>
> 'TechArena Community - Technology and Computer Hardware Support Forums
> of India' (http://forums.techarena.in)

Try booting into safe mode and then try deleting them. I had a similar
issue with my printer and safe mode allowed me to delete the files.

--
.Joe

_[image:
http://uswave.net/vistax64/joetmvx64.png] (\"http://uswave.net/vistax64/joetmvx64.png\")_
_*::Vista_Forums::* (\"http://www.vistax64.com/\")_
_Geekbench_Score:_4031 (\"http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/51273\")_
_CPU-Z (\"http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=345866\")_
mishutka

Re: Unable to Remove Printers in Control Panel

Booting in safe mode and deleting .shd files from .../spool solved the
problem! Thank you so much for your help!