Windows Contacts replaced by Outlook Contacts

bammbamm94

Windows Contacts replaced by Outlook Contacts
I installed Outlook 2003 on my computer which has Vista Ultimate so I could
use a Dell Axim. Now when I go to fax a document using Windows Fax and Scan
and try to select a contact, Outlook Contacts is displayed instead of Windows
Contacts. It won't let me choose to use Windows Contacts either. I tried
using Default Programs to associate Windows Contacts with it's defaults but
that didn't work. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Re: Windows Contacts replaced by Outlook Contacts
Behaving as designed.
Exactly how did you set Windows Contacts as your default address service
provider and were you running as an administrator when you did?
Did you reboot after you did?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"bammbamm94" <bammbamm94@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I installed Outlook 2003 on my computer which has Vista Ultimate so I could
> use a Dell Axim. Now when I go to fax a document using Windows Fax and
> Scan
> and try to select a contact, Outlook Contacts is displayed instead of
> Windows
> Contacts. It won't let me choose to use Windows Contacts either. I tried
> using Default Programs to associate Windows Contacts with it's defaults
> but
> that didn't work. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

bammbamm94

Re: Windows Contacts replaced by Outlook Contacts
When I first used Fax and Scan (before installing Outlook), Windows Contacts
was my default address service evidently because when I went to fax someone
it automatically came up. After installing Outlook, when I go to fax, the
numbers I entered in Windows Contacts aren't available. Only Outlook
contacts pops up. So I went to the start menu and chose "default programs",
then "set your default programs", chose "Windows Contacts" and clicked on
"set this program as default". I was running as an administrator and I did
restart the computer. None of that helped. I can still get to Windows
Contacts from the start menu just not from Fax and Scan.

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> Behaving as designed.
> Exactly how did you set Windows Contacts as your default address service
> provider and were you running as an administrator when you did?
> Did you reboot after you did?
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "bammbamm94" <bammbamm94@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I installed Outlook 2003 on my computer which has Vista Ultimate so I could
> > use a Dell Axim. Now when I go to fax a document using Windows Fax and
> > Scan
> > and try to select a contact, Outlook Contacts is displayed instead of
> > Windows
> > Contacts. It won't let me choose to use Windows Contacts either. I tried
> > using Default Programs to associate Windows Contacts with it's defaults
> > but
> > that didn't work. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Re: Windows Contacts replaced by Outlook Contacts
I've not seen this issue come up before because anyone who installs Outlook
prefers to use its more robust Contact management features. That's the
reason for the default behavior.
If you actually intended to install Outlook but not use it, then I'll look
into this further. Is that what you wanted to do?
--
news85E02C7-5574-4C1A-A872-F74355869968@microsoft.com...
> When I first used Fax and Scan (before installing Outlook), Windows
> Contacts
> was my default address service evidently because when I went to fax
> someone
> it automatically came up. After installing Outlook, when I go to fax, the
> numbers I entered in Windows Contacts aren't available. Only Outlook
> contacts pops up. So I went to the start menu and chose "default
> programs",
> then "set your default programs", chose "Windows Contacts" and clicked on
> "set this program as default". I was running as an administrator and I
> did
> restart the computer. None of that helped. I can still get to Windows
> Contacts from the start menu just not from Fax and Scan.
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> Behaving as designed.
>> Exactly how did you set Windows Contacts as your default address service
>> provider and were you running as an administrator when you did?
>> Did you reboot after you did?
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "bammbamm94" <bammbamm94@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I installed Outlook 2003 on my computer which has Vista Ultimate so I
>> >could
>> > use a Dell Axim. Now when I go to fax a document using Windows Fax and
>> > Scan
>> > and try to select a contact, Outlook Contacts is displayed instead of
>> > Windows
>> > Contacts. It won't let me choose to use Windows Contacts either. I
>> > tried
>> > using Default Programs to associate Windows Contacts with it's defaults
>> > but
>> > that didn't work. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

bammbamm94

Re: Windows Contacts replaced by Outlook Contacts
I only installed Outlook because I thought I needed it for the Axim to work
with Vista. The main reason I want to use the Axim is for viewing some files
when I'm working away from the office. I may use the contacts feature
eventually but that wasn't my immediate concern. I only used the Windows
Contacts for faxing and was puzzled why I didn't have the option to use them
after Outlook was installed. So if you can figure out how to be able to
choose from both contacts lists (or just Windows Contacts again) within Fax
and Scan I would be very appreciative. Thanks for your help!

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> I've not seen this issue come up before because anyone who installs Outlook
> prefers to use its more robust Contact management features. That's the
> reason for the default behavior.
> If you actually intended to install Outlook but not use it, then I'll look
> into this further. Is that what you wanted to do?
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "bammbamm94" <bammbamm94@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news85E02C7-5574-4C1A-A872-F74355869968@microsoft.com...
> > When I first used Fax and Scan (before installing Outlook), Windows
> > Contacts
> > was my default address service evidently because when I went to fax
> > someone
> > it automatically came up. After installing Outlook, when I go to fax, the
> > numbers I entered in Windows Contacts aren't available. Only Outlook
> > contacts pops up. So I went to the start menu and chose "default
> > programs",
> > then "set your default programs", chose "Windows Contacts" and clicked on
> > "set this program as default". I was running as an administrator and I
> > did
> > restart the computer. None of that helped. I can still get to Windows
> > Contacts from the start menu just not from Fax and Scan.
> >
> > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
> >
> >> Behaving as designed.
> >> Exactly how did you set Windows Contacts as your default address service
> >> provider and were you running as an administrator when you did?
> >> Did you reboot after you did?
> >> --
> >> Russ Valentine
> >> [MVP-Outlook]

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Re: Windows Contacts replaced by Outlook Contacts
You should be able to. It has been an option to do so with all previous
versions of this software. I'll see what I can find out from the developers.
--
>I only installed Outlook because I thought I needed it for the Axim to work
> with Vista. The main reason I want to use the Axim is for viewing some
> files
> when I'm working away from the office. I may use the contacts feature
> eventually but that wasn't my immediate concern. I only used the Windows
> Contacts for faxing and was puzzled why I didn't have the option to use
> them
> after Outlook was installed. So if you can figure out how to be able to
> choose from both contacts lists (or just Windows Contacts again) within
> Fax
> and Scan I would be very appreciative. Thanks for your help!
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> I've not seen this issue come up before because anyone who installs
>> Outlook
>> prefers to use its more robust Contact management features. That's the
>> reason for the default behavior.
>> If you actually intended to install Outlook but not use it, then I'll
>> look
>> into this further. Is that what you wanted to do?
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "bammbamm94" <bammbamm94@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news85E02C7-5574-4C1A-A872-F74355869968@microsoft.com...
>> > When I first used Fax and Scan (before installing Outlook), Windows
>> > Contacts
>> > was my default address service evidently because when I went to fax
>> > someone
>> > it automatically came up. After installing Outlook, when I go to fax,
>> > the
>> > numbers I entered in Windows Contacts aren't available. Only Outlook
>> > contacts pops up. So I went to the start menu and chose "default
>> > programs",
>> > then "set your default programs", chose "Windows Contacts" and clicked
>> > on
>> > "set this program as default". I was running as an administrator and I
>> > did
>> > restart the computer. None of that helped. I can still get to Windows
>> > Contacts from the start menu just not from Fax and Scan.

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Re: Windows Contacts replaced by Outlook Contacts
BTW, did you set Windows Mail for all its defaults? You'll need to. Just
setting Windows Contacts is not enough.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"bammbamm94" <bammbamm94@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I only installed Outlook because I thought I needed it for the Axim to work
> with Vista. The main reason I want to use the Axim is for viewing some
> files
> when I'm working away from the office. I may use the contacts feature
> eventually but that wasn't my immediate concern. I only used the Windows
> Contacts for faxing and was puzzled why I didn't have the option to use
> them
> after Outlook was installed. So if you can figure out how to be able to
> choose from both contacts lists (or just Windows Contacts again) within
> Fax
> and Scan I would be very appreciative. Thanks for your help!
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> I've not seen this issue come up before because anyone who installs
>> Outlook
>> prefers to use its more robust Contact management features. That's the
>> reason for the default behavior.
>> If you actually intended to install Outlook but not use it, then I'll
>> look
>> into this further. Is that what you wanted to do?
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "bammbamm94" <bammbamm94@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news85E02C7-5574-4C1A-A872-F74355869968@microsoft.com...
>> > When I first used Fax and Scan (before installing Outlook), Windows
>> > Contacts
>> > was my default address service evidently because when I went to fax
>> > someone
>> > it automatically came up. After installing Outlook, when I go to fax,
>> > the
>> > numbers I entered in Windows Contacts aren't available. Only Outlook
>> > contacts pops up. So I went to the start menu and chose "default
>> > programs",
>> > then "set your default programs", chose "Windows Contacts" and clicked
>> > on
>> > "set this program as default". I was running as an administrator and I
>> > did
>> > restart the computer. None of that helped. I can still get to Windows
>> > Contacts from the start menu just not from Fax and Scan.

bammbamm94

Re: Windows Contacts replaced by Outlook Contacts
I'm sorry, I've been away on vacation and didn't respond sooner. Yes I have
set Windows Mail for all it's defaults.

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> BTW, did you set Windows Mail for all its defaults? You'll need to. Just
> setting Windows Contacts is not enough.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "bammbamm94" <bammbamm94@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I only installed Outlook because I thought I needed it for the Axim to work
> > with Vista. The main reason I want to use the Axim is for viewing some
> > files
> > when I'm working away from the office. I may use the contacts feature
> > eventually but that wasn't my immediate concern. I only used the Windows
> > Contacts for faxing and was puzzled why I didn't have the option to use
> > them
> > after Outlook was installed. So if you can figure out how to be able to
> > choose from both contacts lists (or just Windows Contacts again) within
> > Fax
> > and Scan I would be very appreciative. Thanks for your help!
> >
> > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
> >
> >> I've not seen this issue come up before because anyone who installs
> >> Outlook
> >> prefers to use its more robust Contact management features. That's the
> >> reason for the default behavior.
> >> If you actually intended to install Outlook but not use it, then I'll
> >> look
> >> into this further. Is that what you wanted to do?
> >> --
> >> Russ Valentine
> >> [MVP-Outlook]
> >> "bammbamm94" <bammbamm94@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news85E02C7-5574-4C1A-A872-F74355869968@microsoft.com...

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Re: Windows Contacts replaced by Outlook Contacts
If so, then WFS will use Windows Contacts.
--
> I'm sorry, I've been away on vacation and didn't respond sooner. Yes I
> have
> set Windows Mail for all it's defaults.
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> BTW, did you set Windows Mail for all its defaults? You'll need to. Just
>> setting Windows Contacts is not enough.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "bammbamm94" <bammbamm94@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I only installed Outlook because I thought I needed it for the Axim to
>> >work
>> > with Vista. The main reason I want to use the Axim is for viewing some
>> > files
>> > when I'm working away from the office. I may use the contacts feature
>> > eventually but that wasn't my immediate concern. I only used the
>> > Windows
>> > Contacts for faxing and was puzzled why I didn't have the option to use
>> > them
>> > after Outlook was installed. So if you can figure out how to be able
>> > choose from both contacts lists (or just Windows Contacts again) within
>> > Fax
>> > and Scan I would be very appreciative. Thanks for your help!

bammbamm94

Re: Windows Contacts replaced by Outlook Contacts
I wish it would use Windows Contacts but I can only get to Outlook Contacts
from WFS.