Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

error 0x000003eb when trying to install a local printer

microsoft.public.windows.vista.print fax scan






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 05-06-2008
pdmellon@gmail.com
 

Posts: n/a
error 0x000003eb when trying to install a local printer
I suddenly can't print from my Windows Vista Ultimate (SP1) computer.
When I first tried to print, I got the following error: "Before you
can
print, you need to select a printer. If you need to install a
printer,
either double-click the Add Printer icon or click the Find Printer...
button located on the General tab of this dialog.

When I try to add a printer, I get through all the steps until I
click
Finish. Then I get the error "Unable to install printer. Operation
could
not be completed (error 0x000003eb).

I've experienced the same problem with both printers. One is a Xerox
laser printer, the other is an Epson ink jet. Both are local and
neither
is shared. One is parallel, the other is USB.

The research and troubleshooting I've done lead me to believe it's a
UAC
problem. When trying to install a printer I do not get a UAC prompt.
When I open a printer properties dialog box, driver printer
management
options are grayed out and I do not get a UAC prompt. I've tried from
both administrative and non-administrative accounts. I've disabled
UAC,
rebooted, tried again, re-enabled UAC, rebooted, and tried again
without
any luck. I've tried additional print drivers from Windows with the
same
results. The Microsoft XPS Document Writer printer object also fails
with the same initial problem. I've also tested my printers on
another
computer to confirm they are functioning.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 05-06-2008
Cari \(MS-MVP\)
 

Posts: n/a
Re: error 0x000003eb when trying to install a local printer
Try looking at the websites of both Epson and Xerox and see if they have
driver packages for your version of Vista.

Normally one installs the SOFTWARE first, then connects the printer. It
sounds like your PC might be in a bit of a mess by now so...

See:
http://www.coribright.com/windows/Article_One.htm

Don't miss out on Step 4.
--
Cari (MS-MVP) Printing & Imaging
www.coribright.com/windows

<pdmellon@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:8d4fc464-bc01-4f46-83f1-b557ffcdf374@b1g2000hsg.googlegroups.com...
>I suddenly can't print from my Windows Vista Ultimate (SP1) computer.
> When I first tried to print, I got the following error: "Before you
> can
> print, you need to select a printer. If you need to install a
> printer,
> either double-click the Add Printer icon or click the Find Printer...
> button located on the General tab of this dialog.
>
> When I try to add a printer, I get through all the steps until I
> click
> Finish. Then I get the error "Unable to install printer. Operation
> could
> not be completed (error 0x000003eb).
>
> I've experienced the same problem with both printers. One is a Xerox
> laser printer, the other is an Epson ink jet. Both are local and
> neither
> is shared. One is parallel, the other is USB.
>
> The research and troubleshooting I've done lead me to believe it's a
> UAC
> problem. When trying to install a printer I do not get a UAC prompt.
> When I open a printer properties dialog box, driver printer
> management
> options are grayed out and I do not get a UAC prompt. I've tried from
> both administrative and non-administrative accounts. I've disabled
> UAC,
> rebooted, tried again, re-enabled UAC, rebooted, and tried again
> without
> any luck. I've tried additional print drivers from Windows with the
> same
> results. The Microsoft XPS Document Writer printer object also fails
> with the same initial problem. I've also tested my printers on
> another
> computer to confirm they are functioning.
>
> Any suggestions?


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 05-07-2008
pmellon
 

Posts: n/a
Re: error 0x000003eb when trying to install a local printer
On May 6, 2:54 pm, "Cari \(MS-MVP\)" <newsgro...@coribright.com>
wrote:
> Try looking at the websites of both Epson and Xerox and see if they have
> driver packages for your version of Vista.
>
> Normally one installs the SOFTWARE first, then connects the printer. It
> sounds like your PC might be in a bit of a mess by now so...
>
> See:http://www.coribright.com/windows/Article_One.htm
>
> Don't miss out on Step 4.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP) Printing & Imagingwww.coribright.com/windows
>
> <pdmel...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
> news:8d4fc464-bc01-4f46-83f1-b557ffcdf374@b1g2000hsg.googlegroups.com...
>
> >I suddenly can't print from my Windows Vista Ultimate (SP1) computer.
> > When I first tried to print, I got the following error: "Before you
> > can
> > print, you need to select a printer. If you need to install a
> > printer,
> > either double-click the Add Printer icon or click the Find Printer...
> > button located on the General tab of this dialog.

>
> > When I try to add a printer, I get through all the steps until I
> > click
> > Finish. Then I get the error "Unable to install printer. Operation
> > could
> > not be completed (error 0x000003eb).

>
> > I've experienced the same problem with both printers. One is a Xerox
> > laser printer, the other is an Epson ink jet. Both are local and
> > neither
> > is shared. One is parallel, the other is USB.

>
> > The research and troubleshooting I've done lead me to believe it's a
> > UAC
> > problem. When trying to install a printer I do not get a UAC prompt.
> > When I open a printer properties dialog box, driver printer
> > management
> > options are grayed out and I do not get a UAC prompt. I've tried from
> > both administrative and non-administrative accounts. I've disabled
> > UAC,
> > rebooted, tried again, re-enabled UAC, rebooted, and tried again
> > without
> > any luck. I've tried additional print drivers from Windows with the
> > same
> > results. The Microsoft XPS Document Writer printer object also fails
> > with the same initial problem. I've also tested my printers on
> > another
> > computer to confirm they are functioning.

>
> > Any suggestions?


Thanks for the response, but I can't install ANY print drivers that
shipped with windows. Even the Microsoft XPS Document Writer acts the
same as physical printers.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 05-07-2008
pmellon
 

Posts: n/a
Re: error 0x000003eb when trying to install a local printer
On May 6, 7:10 pm, pmellon <pdmel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 6, 2:54 pm, "Cari \(MS-MVP\)" <newsgro...@coribright.com>
> wrote:
>
>
>
> > Try looking at the websites of both Epson and Xerox and see if they have
> > driver packages for your version of Vista.

>
> > Normally one installs the SOFTWARE first, then connects the printer. It
> > sounds like your PC might be in a bit of a mess by now so...

>
> > See:http://www.coribright.com/windows/Article_One.htm

>
> > Don't miss out on Step 4.
> > --
> > Cari (MS-MVP) Printing & Imagingwww.coribright.com/windows

>
> > <pdmel...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>
> >news:8d4fc464-bc01-4f46-83f1-b557ffcdf374@b1g2000hsg.googlegroups.com...

>
> > >I suddenly can't print from my Windows Vista Ultimate (SP1) computer.
> > > When I first tried to print, I got the following error: "Before you
> > > can
> > > print, you need to select a printer. If you need to install a
> > > printer,
> > > either double-click the Add Printer icon or click the Find Printer...
> > > button located on the General tab of this dialog.

>
> > > When I try to add a printer, I get through all the steps until I
> > > click
> > > Finish. Then I get the error "Unable to install printer. Operation
> > > could
> > > not be completed (error 0x000003eb).

>
> > > I've experienced the same problem with both printers. One is a Xerox
> > > laser printer, the other is an Epson ink jet. Both are local and
> > > neither
> > > is shared. One is parallel, the other is USB.

>
> > > The research and troubleshooting I've done lead me to believe it's a
> > > UAC
> > > problem. When trying to install a printer I do not get a UAC prompt.
> > > When I open a printer properties dialog box, driver printer
> > > management
> > > options are grayed out and I do not get a UAC prompt. I've tried from
> > > both administrative and non-administrative accounts. I've disabled
> > > UAC,
> > > rebooted, tried again, re-enabled UAC, rebooted, and tried again
> > > without
> > > any luck. I've tried additional print drivers from Windows with the
> > > same
> > > results. The Microsoft XPS Document Writer printer object also fails
> > > with the same initial problem. I've also tested my printers on
> > > another
> > > computer to confirm they are functioning.

>
> > > Any suggestions?

>
> Thanks for the response, but I can't install ANY print drivers that
> shipped with windows. Even the Microsoft XPS Document Writer acts the
> same as physical printers.


The problem is solved for now. After unsuccessfully trying everything
else that made sense, I uninstalled SP1. Everything went back to
normal as soon as I did.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Prtr Install Error 0X000003eb Sibuan microsoft.public.windows.vista.print fax scan 2 01-30-2008 09:40
Errore 0x000003eb quando provo a install. stampante di rete su Vis Alberto microsoft.public.it.windows.vista 9 01-15-2008 09:07
Article ID: 932206 Error message when you try to automatically install a printer that has an unknown printer driver in Windows Vista: "STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005)" KBArticles English 0 10-22-2007 20:00
Error 0x000003eb connecting to shared printer on a different domai Bradley microsoft.public.windows.vista.print fax scan 4 07-19-2007 22:04
Error 0x000003eb connecting to shared printer on a different domai Bradley microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices 5 07-13-2007 01:56




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:14.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120