Problem installing Canon printer in Vista Ultimate 64 bit

Stephen Flanagan

Problem installing Canon printer in Vista Ultimate 64 bit
Just got a new PC with 64 bit Vista Ultimate and am having problems
correctly installing a Canon Pixma MP760 multi function printer, scanner
copier. I downloaded all the 64 bit drivers from the Canon website and
installed them with no problems . Connected the printer and things seemed
to go OK. The printer is registered fine in Device Manager under Imaging
Devices with Properties saying this device is working properly.

I can print OK and copy OK but am struggling with scanning. The canon
software to scan is called MP Navigator 1.1 but when I click on the icon to
launch I get the error message "The scanner driver supported by this
software is not installed, Install it then retry". I try to update the
driver software and get the message "Windows has determined the driver
software for your device is up to date". So I have no way to amend any
scans. I can scan from the printer itself (i.e. not the PC) but this gives
for example 4 pages for a simple 1 page original.

Have tried ringing Canon but they are a joke. Rang them from work and
eventually had to concede and take a day off work to ring in front of the PC
at home. Rang them and after 30 mins of a lady who kept putting me on hold
and referring to an expert was told this would have to be passed to Level 2
support who would ring me in 2 or 3 days. Told them I work in office hours
but they expect me to take a couple of further days off work to wait their
call - cheaper to buy a new printer!

Have tried the usual of uninstalling the printer and re-installing and also
re downloaded the 64 bit software. In "Problem Reports and Solutions" 3 of
the canon 64 bit drivers appear including the MP Navigator s/w
(m6C18MUx.exe) all with the same message of Program Compatibility Problem.
The problem given is

Description
This program might require administrator privileges (I am the
administrator)

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: PCA2
Problem Signature 01: m6C18MUx.exe
Problem Signature 02: 0.0.0.0
Problem Signature 03: m6C18MUx.exe
Problem Signature 04: unknown
Problem Signature 05: unknown
Problem Signature 06: 8
Problem Signature 07: 202
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 2057

Files that help describe the problem
appcompat.txt

Attached,

Am I flogging a dead horse and is it simply that the scanner drivers (which
on the canon website say Windows Vista 64bit) just don't work or is their a
solution I'm missing.

I can get the scanner to work using Windows Photo Gallery but there are only
a few adjustments you can make compared to the canon s/w.

Appreciate any help.

Cheers

Steve

Peter

Re: Problem installing Canon printer in Vista Ultimate 64 bit
Did you install MP navigator 1.16?

http://www.canon.ca/product_reg.asp?...rt%5Fby%3Ddflt

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada

"Stephen Flanagan" <stephen.flanagan2@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> Problem Event Name: PCA2
> Problem Signature 01: m6C18MUx.exe
> Problem Signature 02: 0.0.0.0
> Problem Signature 03: m6C18MUx.exe
> Problem Signature 04: unknown
> Problem Signature 05: unknown
> Problem Signature 06: 8
> Problem Signature 07: 202
> OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
> Locale ID: 2057
>
> Files that help describe the problem
> appcompat.txt
>
> Attached,
>
> Am I flogging a dead horse and is it simply that the scanner drivers
> (which
> on the canon website say Windows Vista 64bit) just don't work or is their
> solution I'm missing.
>
> I can get the scanner to work using Windows Photo Gallery but there are
> only
> a few adjustments you can make compared to the canon s/w.

Stephen Flanagan

Re: Problem installing Canon printer in Vista Ultimate 64 bit
Peter,

Yes I had installed version 1.16 (although the icon on my desktop just says
1.1). I did uninstall and use your link and re-downloaded but still get the
same Error Message stating "The scanner driver supported by this software is
not installed, Install it then retry". I see from your link that are
higher (newer) Vista versions i.e. Vista 64 2.02 tried them but no luck
either.

Thanks anyway.

Steve

"Peter" <nobody@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>> Problem Signature 06: 8
>> Problem Signature 07: 202
>> OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
>> Locale ID: 2057
>>
>> Files that help describe the problem
>> appcompat.txt
>>
>> Attached,
>>
>> Am I flogging a dead horse and is it simply that the scanner drivers
>> (which
>> on the canon website say Windows Vista 64bit) just don't work or is
>> their a
>> solution I'm missing.
>>
>> I can get the scanner to work using Windows Photo Gallery but there are
>> only
>> a few adjustments you can make compared to the canon s/w.
>>
>> Appreciate any help.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Steve

Peter

Re: Problem installing Canon printer in Vista Ultimate 64 bit
I would go back to Canon and hope this time you get someone intelligent.
They are usually pretty helpful.

--

> [...]
>>> Problem Signature 01: m6C18MUx.exe
>>> Problem Signature 02: 0.0.0.0
>>> Problem Signature 03: m6C18MUx.exe
>>> Problem Signature 04: unknown
>>> Problem Signature 05: unknown
>>> Problem Signature 06: 8
>>> Problem Signature 07: 202
>>> OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
>>> Locale ID: 2057
>>>
>>> Files that help describe the problem
>>> appcompat.txt
>>>
>>> Attached,
>>>
>>> Am I flogging a dead horse and is it simply that the scanner drivers
>>> (which
>>> on the canon website say Windows Vista 64bit) just don't work or is
>>> their a
>>> solution I'm missing.
>>>
>>> I can get the scanner to work using Windows Photo Gallery but there are
>>> only
>>> a few adjustments you can make compared to the canon s/w.

carlsf

Stephen Flanagan;3710363 Wrote:
> [...]
> Problem Signature 01: m6C18MUx.exe
> Problem Signature 02: 0.0.0.0
> Problem Signature 03: m6C18MUx.exe
> Problem Signature 04: unknown
> Problem Signature 05: unknown
> Problem Signature 06: 8
> Problem Signature 07: 202
> OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
> Locale ID: 2057
>
> Files that help describe the problem
> appcompat.txt
>
> Attached,
>
> Am I flogging a dead horse and is it simply that the scanner drivers
> (which
> on the canon website say Windows Vista 64bit) just don't work or is
> their a
> solution I'm missing.
>
> I can get the scanner to work using Windows Photo Gallery but there are
> only
> a few adjustments you can make compared to the canon s/w.

All works well scanner included you have to download NOT only the 64bit
Driver but also the other Canon 64bit Navigator and other drivers
avaliable and install...
regards carl...

--
carlsf