Help - HP Laserjet 4000n Parallel port

Greg81

Help - HP Laserjet 4000n Parallel port

Hi:

I'm going crazy here. I have Vista 64 Ultimate & Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe
board. I have tring to hook up a HP 4000n printer with a parallel port.
It just won't work. I have tried everything including downloading 64 bit
drivers, changing the parallel port settings in the bios, etc. I
suspect it has something to do with the port because the printer does
not respond at all to anything I do. Any suggestions are appreciated.

--
Greg81
Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Help - HP Laserjet 4000n Parallel port
From a picture I found I can tell if the parallel port is built in or ribbon
cabled to one of the connectors

If the port is on a vertical card, I'd crack the case and make sure the
cable is seated and pin one is oriented properly.

Also check the parallel cable that you are using to connect to the printer
or use the same cable/printer on another machine to confirm good.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"Greg81" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hi:
>
> I'm going crazy here. I have Vista 64 Ultimate & Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe
> board. I have tring to hook up a HP 4000n printer with a parallel port.
> It just won't work. I have tried everything including downloading 64 bit
> drivers, changing the parallel port settings in the bios, etc. I
> suspect it has something to do with the port because the printer does
> not respond at all to anything I do. Any suggestions are appreciated.
>

> --
> Greg81

Tom Ferguson

Re: Help - HP Laserjet 4000n Parallel port
As a PS, I would use a IEEE certified or IEEE compliant cable with any HP
LaserJet printer. Even IEEE compatible cables can cause problems.
--

Tom
MSMVP 1998-2007

"Greg81" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hi:
>
> I'm going crazy here. I have Vista 64 Ultimate & Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe
> board. I have tring to hook up a HP 4000n printer with a parallel port.
> It just won't work. I have tried everything including downloading 64 bit
> drivers, changing the parallel port settings in the bios, etc. I
> suspect it has something to do with the port because the printer does
> not respond at all to anything I do. Any suggestions are appreciated.
>

> --
> Greg81

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Help - HP Laserjet 4000n Parallel port
From a picture I found I CAN'T tell .....

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" <alanmo@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> From a picture I found I can tell if the parallel port is built in or
> ribbon cabled to one of the connectors
>
> If the port is on a vertical card, I'd crack the case and make sure the
> cable is seated and pin one is oriented properly.
>

> Also check the parallel cable that you are using to connect to the printer
> or use the same cable/printer on another machine to confirm good.
>
> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> rights.
>
> "Greg81" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Hi:
>>
>> I'm going crazy here. I have Vista 64 Ultimate & Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe
>> board. I have tring to hook up a HP 4000n printer with a parallel port.
>> It just won't work. I have tried everything including downloading 64 bit
>> drivers, changing the parallel port settings in the bios, etc. I
>> suspect it has something to do with the port because the printer does
>> not respond at all to anything I do. Any suggestions are appreciated.
>>

>> --
>> Greg81

Greg81

Re: Help - HP Laserjet 4000n Parallel port

Well, I'm a little embarassed to say but the problem was the orientation
of the parallel port header cable that plugs in the mobo.

--
Greg81
Tom Ferguson

Re: Help - HP Laserjet 4000n Parallel port
Ahh. That old "Pin 1 problem"! Glad it's now working.
--

Tom
MSMVP 1998-2007

"Tom Ferguson" <tom.newsgroups@gmail.com> wrote in message
> As a PS, I would use a IEEE certified or IEEE compliant cable with any HP
> LaserJet printer. Even IEEE compatible cables can cause problems.
> --
>
> Tom
> MSMVP 1998-2007
>

> "Greg81" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Hi:
>>
>> I'm going crazy here. I have Vista 64 Ultimate & Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe
>> board. I have tring to hook up a HP 4000n printer with a parallel port.
>> It just won't work. I have tried everything including downloading 64 bit
>> drivers, changing the parallel port settings in the bios, etc. I
>> suspect it has something to do with the port because the printer does
>> not respond at all to anything I do. Any suggestions are appreciated.
>>

>> --
>> Greg81

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Help - HP Laserjet 4000n Parallel port
So am I. This is one of those issues that can drive someone nuts until
there are another set of eyes on the problem.

Greg thanks for stopping by.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team