Vista 32 - Network Printer

TopHAT

Vista 32 - Network Printer
Last night I rebuilt my Compaq Presario V6171CL notebook - reusing the same
Vista 32-bit cd it was previously built with. All software as been
activated. This time however, when I go to printers, add printer, network
printer - windows explorer restarts. These apps have been installed: Vista
32 bit OS; Office 2007 standard; visio 2007; publisher 2007; Cute PDF, Adobe
Reader & Outlook has been configured with one email account. All updates have
been installed. User Account Control has been disabled and reenabled. I can
install a local printer but not a network printer. The PC is attached to a
domain correctly. Any Ideas how to stop explorer from restarting and getting
the printer(s) installed? Thanks in advance...
--
Rick Pelham
Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Vista 32 - Network Printer
Are there printers published to the active directory?

Is there a policy that sets the AD printer search location? I've seen a
similar failure when one is on a domain but the domain lookup fails. You
may need to unjoin from the domain, delete the old machine account, then
rejoin the domain.

If the printers are not published in the AD turn off the search

gpedit.msc
Computer Configuration
Administrative Templates
Printer
Add Printer wizard (managed network)
Disable

When you get to the edit box page, enter the \\printserver\printshare
information

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"TopHAT" <TopHAT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Last night I rebuilt my Compaq Presario V6171CL notebook - reusing the
> same
> Vista 32-bit cd it was previously built with. All software as been
> activated. This time however, when I go to printers, add printer, network
> printer - windows explorer restarts. These apps have been installed:
> Vista
> 32 bit OS; Office 2007 standard; visio 2007; publisher 2007; Cute PDF,
> Adobe
> Reader & Outlook has been configured with one email account. All updates
> have
> been installed. User Account Control has been disabled and reenabled. I
> can
> install a local printer but not a network printer. The PC is attached to
> domain correctly. Any Ideas how to stop explorer from restarting and
> getting
> the printer(s) installed? Thanks in advance...
> --
> Rick Pelham

TopHAT

Re: Vista 32 - Network Printer
Alan - First - your guidance solved the problem - thank you very much.
Second - not to waste your time but... Can you offer any insight as to why
there were no problems setting up network printers upon my first install of
Vista-32 on this machine - and why we had to make your suggested changes upon
the second new install on the same machine with the same cd? Just curious..
Again - thanks for your knowledge!
--
Rick Pelham

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

> Are there printers published to the active directory?
>
> Is there a policy that sets the AD printer search location? I've seen a
> similar failure when one is on a domain but the domain lookup fails. You
> may need to unjoin from the domain, delete the old machine account, then
> rejoin the domain.
>
> If the printers are not published in the AD turn off the search
>
> gpedit.msc
> Computer Configuration
> Administrative Templates
> Printer
> Add Printer wizard (managed network)
> Disable
>
> When you get to the edit box page, enter the \\printserver\printshare
> information
>

> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> "TopHAT" <TopHAT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Last night I rebuilt my Compaq Presario V6171CL notebook - reusing the
> > same
> > Vista 32-bit cd it was previously built with. All software as been
> > activated. This time however, when I go to printers, add printer, network
> > printer - windows explorer restarts. These apps have been installed:
> > Vista
> > 32 bit OS; Office 2007 standard; visio 2007; publisher 2007; Cute PDF,
> > Adobe
> > Reader & Outlook has been configured with one email account. All updates
> > have
> > been installed. User Account Control has been disabled and reenabled. I
> > can
> > install a local printer but not a network printer. The PC is attached to
> > domain correctly. Any Ideas how to stop explorer from restarting and
> > getting
> > the printer(s) installed? Thanks in advance...
> > --
> > Rick Pelham

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Vista 32 - Network Printer
First, your welcome.

Second not a waste of time but to limit the number of mails I send (since
this is not my primary jobs, just something I do because someone needs to),
I'll give a couple suggestions in one post. What was the solution for you?
The machine account or disabling the network search.

--

> Alan - First - your guidance solved the problem - thank you very much.
> Second - not to waste your time but... Can you offer any insight as to
> why
> there were no problems setting up network printers upon my first install
> of
> Vista-32 on this machine - and why we had to make your suggested changes
> upon
> the second new install on the same machine with the same cd? Just
> curious..
> Again - thanks for your knowledge!
> --
> Rick Pelham
>

> "Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> Are there printers published to the active directory?
>>
>> Is there a policy that sets the AD printer search location? I've seen a
>> similar failure when one is on a domain but the domain lookup fails. You
>> may need to unjoin from the domain, delete the old machine account, then
>> rejoin the domain.
>>
>> If the printers are not published in the AD turn off the search
>>
>> gpedit.msc
>> Computer Configuration
>> Administrative Templates
>> Printer
>> Add Printer wizard (managed network)
>> Disable
>>
>> When you get to the edit box page, enter the \\printserver\printshare
>> information
>>

>> --
>> Alan Morris
>> Windows Printing Team
>> http://support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1

>> rights.
>>
>> "TopHAT" <TopHAT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Last night I rebuilt my Compaq Presario V6171CL notebook - reusing the
>> > same
>> > Vista 32-bit cd it was previously built with. All software as been
>> > activated. This time however, when I go to printers, add printer,
>> > network
>> > printer - windows explorer restarts. These apps have been installed:
>> > Vista
>> > 32 bit OS; Office 2007 standard; visio 2007; publisher 2007; Cute PDF,
>> > Adobe
>> > Reader & Outlook has been configured with one email account. All
>> > updates
>> > have
>> > been installed. User Account Control has been disabled and reenabled.
>> > can
>> > install a local printer but not a network printer. The PC is attached
>> > domain correctly. Any Ideas how to stop explorer from restarting and
>> > getting
>> > the printer(s) installed? Thanks in advance...
>> > --
>> > Rick Pelham

TopHAT

Re: Vista 32 - Network Printer
Alan -

Sorry I could not get back to you sooner. I attempted to respond to you
immediately after your post, however for some odd reason I could not get the
'Reply' dialog box to open. I tried to email you directly to no avail.

To answer you question, disabling the network search did the trick.

I hope that helps in your assessment.

Rick
--
Rick Pelham