Default Printer

Carlp

I have a Brother MFC connected to a WinXP Computer on an SBS 2k3 Domain and
it is used on as the default printer for everyone on the domain.
Recently purchased and HP machine with Windoews Vista Business pre installed.
It has one color IP attached laser pronter which works fine.
Also Office 2007 installed with microsoft XPS Document writer as a printer.
When installing the Brother MFC I choose make default printer and it does it.
After a short period of Time the XPS is the default printer, and the MFC
wont become default printer again.

Has any one heard of this??
I have checked the security, Policies etc but cannot see a problem, Please
help.
Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Default Printer
Quickest and easiest solution is to disable the XPS document writer in the
Printers panel.
--
Cari (MS-MVP) Printing & Imaging
www.coribright.com/windows

"Carlp" <carlp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a Brother MFC connected to a WinXP Computer on an SBS 2k3 Domain and
> it is used on as the default printer for everyone on the domain.
> Recently purchased and HP machine with Windoews Vista Business pre
> installed.
> It has one color IP attached laser pronter which works fine.
> Also Office 2007 installed with microsoft XPS Document writer as a
> printer.
> When installing the Brother MFC I choose make default printer and it does
> it.
> After a short period of Time the XPS is the default printer, and the MFC
> wont become default printer again.
>
> Has any one heard of this??
> I have checked the security, Policies etc but cannot see a problem, Please
> help.

Carlp

Re: Default Printer
Hi Cari
Thanks for the response.

Tried That but it wont disable with an error saying printer does not exist.
Romoved Office 2007 but xps still remains.
Removed Brother and reinstalled and wont set as default printer.
Is there some reason why a networked printer wont set as default in Vista??

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Quickest and easiest solution is to disable the XPS document writer in the
> Printers panel.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP) Printing & Imaging
> www.coribright.com/windows
>
> "Carlp" <carlp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a Brother MFC connected to a WinXP Computer on an SBS 2k3 Domain and
> > it is used on as the default printer for everyone on the domain.
> > Recently purchased and HP machine with Windoews Vista Business pre
> > installed.
> > It has one color IP attached laser pronter which works fine.
> > Also Office 2007 installed with microsoft XPS Document writer as a
> > printer.
> > When installing the Brother MFC I choose make default printer and it does
> > it.
> > After a short period of Time the XPS is the default printer, and the MFC
> > wont become default printer again.
> >
> > Has any one heard of this??
> > I have checked the security, Policies etc but cannot see a problem, Please
> > help.

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Default Printer
In the Control Panel, click on Printers. Then, from the Toolbar, File,
and click on Server Properties. If the XPS is still around, you'll find it
under Drivers. You can remove it here and it should be gone.