Vista printing to shared XP printer

Michael

Vista printing to shared XP printer
Configuration: HP Laptop with Vista Home Premium, Compaq desktop with XP home
and Epson Rx500 USB printer shared, Dell desktop with XP home. All in same
WORKGROUP.
Symptom: XP systems print to RX500 OK. When adding printer to Vista, sees
RX500 but get error message after "Connecting to RX500" box. Error messsage
says Windows cannot connect to the printer. Access is denied.

Thanks for your recommendaitons.
--
Michael
longvale

RE: Vista printing to shared XP printer
Hi this is a response I found on VNUNET.Com from a Robert Clayton which
worked for my situation which is similar to yours. I tried to access a
printer on my XP Home machine in another room via a wLAN, from my Vista
desktop. Constantly had a "cannot access printer" message until I followed
the instructions from Bob Clayton. Seems Vista will only access a 'local
printer' not a network one. From memory I needed to download the latest Vista
compatible driver for the printer attached to the XP machine, onto my Vista
machine before I took the steps below.

Been trying to connect my wifes new Vista laptop (yuk) to print out to my
networked XP desktop's printers. I could see the files and printers on the XP
machine from the laptop. Tried all the usual , firewalls,file and printer
sharing turned on. Would not connect !

Apparently this is a problem that hasn't been solved.

This "workaround" solved it for me.

..

1.) Verify that File and print sharing is turned on and properly configured

on the XP machine.

2.) Locate and notate the Win XP computer name (i.e. "Desktop") (Found in

System Properties in the Computer Name tab)

3.) Locate and notate the printer share name on the XP computer (i.e.

"Printer") (Found under the Sharing tab on the Printer Properties page)

4.) On the Vista machine launch the "Add a Printer" wizard

5.) Choose "Add a local printer"

6.) Select "Create a new port" radio button and choose "Local Port" from the

drop down menu

7.) Press Next

8.) In the "Enter Port Name:" box enter the following: \\Desktop\Printer

where "Desktop" = the computer name from step 2 and "Printer" = the printer

share name from step 3.

9.) Select the Printer driver from the list provided or use the "Have Disk"

button to install the correct Vista driver if it is not in the built-in list.

It is critical that the driver you use is Vista compatible.

10.) Press next

11.) Give the printer a distinct name and choose whether to set as the

default.

12.) Press Next

13.) Print a test page to verify functionality.

14.) Press Finish

..

Hope this helps someone else.

..

Bob "

Let us all know if it works??!!

"Michael" wrote:

> Configuration: HP Laptop with Vista Home Premium, Compaq desktop with XP home
> and Epson Rx500 USB printer shared, Dell desktop with XP home. All in same
> WORKGROUP.
> Symptom: XP systems print to RX500 OK. When adding printer to Vista, sees
> RX500 but get error message after "Connecting to RX500" box. Error messsage
> says Windows cannot connect to the printer. Access is denied.
>
> Thanks for your recommendaitons.
> --
> Michael

Michael

RE: Vista printing to shared XP printer
Awesome....it works. First I had to connect the USB Epson RX500 to the Vista
Laptop to download drivers from Microsoft...per directions on Epson's site.
Go figure...Epson does not have the Vista drivers on their site. Anyway after
installing the drivers I put the printer back on the XP system and followed
your instructions. It works.......

THANKS!
--
Michael
I prefer RSX-11 Operating System!

"longvale" wrote:

> [...]
>
> 11.) Give the printer a distinct name and choose whether to set as the
>
> default.
>
> 12.) Press Next
>
> 13.) Print a test page to verify functionality.
>
> 14.) Press Finish
>

> .
>
> Hope this helps someone else.
>
> .
>
> Bob "
>
> Let us all know if it works??!!
>
> "Michael" wrote:
>
> > Configuration: HP Laptop with Vista Home Premium, Compaq desktop with XP home
> > and Epson Rx500 USB printer shared, Dell desktop with XP home. All in same
> > WORKGROUP.
> > Symptom: XP systems print to RX500 OK. When adding printer to Vista, sees
> > RX500 but get error message after "Connecting to RX500" box. Error messsage
> > says Windows cannot connect to the printer. Access is denied.

Joshua

RE: Vista printing to shared XP printer
I have tried this entire scenario and it still will not work. I have a
Lexmark z715 printer connected via USB to a workstation with XP home loaded.
I am trying to share the printer to a new laptop with vista home premium
through the wireless router. I was getting access denied, until I booted to
safe mode on xp home workstation and enabled the gues accoutn. Now i get an
0x00000d error when trying to connect to the shared printer. What am I doing
wrong?

"Michael" wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > 11.) Give the printer a distinct name and choose whether to set as the
> >
> > default.
> >
> > 12.) Press Next
> >
> > 13.) Print a test page to verify functionality.
> >
> > 14.) Press Finish
> >

> > .
> >
> > Hope this helps someone else.
> >
> > .
> >
> > Bob "
> >
> > Let us all know if it works??!!
> >
> > "Michael" wrote:
> >
> > > Configuration: HP Laptop with Vista Home Premium, Compaq desktop with XP home
> > > and Epson Rx500 USB printer shared, Dell desktop with XP home. All in same
> > > WORKGROUP.
> > > Symptom: XP systems print to RX500 OK. When adding printer to Vista, sees
> > > RX500 but get error message after "Connecting to RX500" box. Error messsage
> > > says Windows cannot connect to the printer. Access is denied.

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Vista printing to shared XP printer
E:\>winerror 0x0000000d
13 ERROR_INVALID_DATA <--> No NTSTATUS matched

I'm assuming you running with this Lexmark driver on the Vista machine.
Host based printers will be the hardest to deal with since the physical
device has limited capacities and the real bulk of the operational tasks are
performed by the software. Typically this is why host based devices are
less expensive than devices that support a standard print language like PS
or PCL.

Release Notes
Attention: To prevent issues during the installation, please uninstall
all previous versions of this driver prior to installing this web package.

File Information
File Name: cjrZ700-P700EN.exe

Version: 1.0.3.1

Released On: APR 30 2007 00:00:00

File Size: 38528944 KB

Products: Lexmark 710, Lexmark P705, Lexmark P707 Photo Jetprinter,
Lexmark P708, Lexmark Z705, Lexmark Z708, Lexmark Z715

Languages:

Operating Systems: Windows Vista

Application: n/a

Owner Name: Lexmark

Data Stream: Lexmark Host Based Solution

Security:

Install Instructions:

Related Links
Technical Support

and this driver on the XP machine
Download Now (Please allow pop-ups in your browser for this website)
CJB700EN.exe: Driver for Windows XP and Server 2003

Release Notes
Lexmark Z700/P700 Series Printer Driver for Microsoft Windows XP and
Server 2003. Certified for Microsoft Windows XP

File Information
File Name: CJB700EN.exe

Version: 1.0.11.0

Released On: MAR 17 2004 00:00:00

File Size: 16092160 KB

Products: Lexmark P704, Lexmark P705, Lexmark P706, Lexmark P707
Photo Jetprinter, Lexmark Z705, Lexmark Z708, Lexmark Z715, Z700 Series
Color Jetprinter

Languages:

Operating Systems: Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003, Windows XP

Application: n/a

Owner Name: Lexmark

Data Stream: Lexmark Host Based Solution

Security:

Install Instructions:

Related Links

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"Joshua" <Joshua@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>> > from the
>> >
>> > drop down menu
>> >
>> > 7.) Press Next
>> >
>> > 8.) In the "Enter Port Name:" box enter the following:
>> > \\Desktop\Printer
>> >
>> > where "Desktop" = the computer name from step 2 and "Printer" = the
>> > printer
>> >
>> > share name from step 3.
>> >
>> > 9.) Select the Printer driver from the list provided or use the "Have
>> > Disk"
>> >
>> > button to install the correct Vista driver if it is not in the built-in
>> > list.
>> >
>> > It is critical that the driver you use is Vista compatible.
>> >
>> > 10.) Press next
>> >
>> > 11.) Give the printer a distinct name and choose whether to set as the
>> >
>> > default.
>> >
>> > 12.) Press Next
>> >
>> > 13.) Print a test page to verify functionality.

Jammal

RE: Vista printing to shared XP printer
Man That worked Great thank you so much, I have spent the last 24hrs trying
to get my HP PSC 1209 to work on my New HP Vista Laptop. You just save me
$200. Thanks again
Jammal

"longvale" wrote:

> [...]
>
> 11.) Give the printer a distinct name and choose whether to set as the
>
> default.
>
> 12.) Press Next
>
> 13.) Print a test page to verify functionality.
>
> 14.) Press Finish
>

> .
>
> Hope this helps someone else.
>
> .
>
> Bob "
>
> Let us all know if it works??!!
>
> "Michael" wrote:
>
> > Configuration: HP Laptop with Vista Home Premium, Compaq desktop with XP home
> > and Epson Rx500 USB printer shared, Dell desktop with XP home. All in same
> > WORKGROUP.
> > Symptom: XP systems print to RX500 OK. When adding printer to Vista, sees
> > RX500 but get error message after "Connecting to RX500" box. Error messsage
> > says Windows cannot connect to the printer. Access is denied.

esroinc@msn.com

Re: Vista printing to shared XP printer
I spent 4 hours with Canon this afternoon trying to get Vista to print
on my XP machine which has a Canon i950, over my network - No luck,
Canon gave up. Hung up, and looked at this Group. The above worked!!!
Bob F.

Re: Vista printing to shared XP printer
Please include enough of the previous message(s) so that others trying to
follow this thread know what you are talking about. Also please try to
"edit out" the non relevant portions. It helps everyone. Go to:
Tools > Options > Send > check - "Include message in reply"

--
BobF.
<esroinc@msn.com> wrote in message
>I spent 4 hours with Canon this afternoon trying to get Vista to print
> on my XP machine which has a Canon i950, over my network - No luck,
> Canon gave up. Hung up, and looked at this Group. The above worked!!!

jt

RE: Vista printing to shared XP printer
Just an inquiry, does this information mean that it is 100% possible
for printers to be shared from winxp = where the printer is directly
connected (host pc)
and winvista being the client pc?
Or it depends on supported printer/multifunction device?
Bob F.

Re: Vista printing to shared XP printer
JT,
Please include enough of the previous message(s) so that others trying to
follow this thread know what you are talking about. Also please try to
“edit out” the non relevant portions. It helps everyone. If you are using
Windows Mail, Go to:
Tools > Options > Send > check - “Include message in reply”
--
Regards, BobF.