Vista fax options

DS_NZ

Vista fax options

Vista Bus x64 / Office Pro 2007

Can anyone advise if & how to do the following that were simple to do
in XP fax:

1. Save a single page of a multipage fax as an image (.png, gif, tif,
jpg whatever)? Easy to save as a multipage .tif, but most sw opens only
the first page. I regularly need to save the 3rd page (which is an
invoice) of a 3 page fax; ie. I want an image of just the invoice (pref
.png or gif). Was easy to do in XP.

2. Change the fax resolution (eg. faxing a Word doc - mainly text).
Seem to have no option to select the fax resolution & quality seems
worse than XP (I used 200x200).

3. I cannot get Outlook contacts to show up in the Fax & Scan utility.
Just Windows Contacts (which I do not use).

Any help appreciated

--
DS_NZ
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Re: Vista fax options
1. Open the fax with an application that supports saving individual pages,
such as MODI. The Fax viewer only lets you print individual pages, not save
them individually.
2. Not an option
3. WFS will use whatever you have set as your default Contacts Manger for
your OS.

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"DS_NZ" <DS_NZ.352fqz@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
newsS_NZ.352fqz@no-mx.forums.net...

> Vista Bus x64 / Office Pro 2007
>
> Can anyone advise if & how to do the following that were simple to do
> in XP fax:
>
> 1. Save a single page of a multipage fax as an image (.png, gif, tif,
> jpg whatever)? Easy to save as a multipage .tif, but most sw opens only
> the first page. I regularly need to save the 3rd page (which is an
> invoice) of a 3 page fax; ie. I want an image of just the invoice (pref
> png or gif). Was easy to do in XP.
>
> 2. Change the fax resolution (eg. faxing a Word doc - mainly text).
> Seem to have no option to select the fax resolution & quality seems
> worse than XP (I used 200x200).
>
> 3. I cannot get Outlook contacts to show up in the Fax & Scan utility.
> Just Windows Contacts (which I do not use).
>
> Any help appreciated
>

> --
> DS_NZ

DS_NZ

Re: Vista fax options

Thanks Russ

re:

1. MODI ? Never heard of it & a Google search did not help either.
3. Where is the default Contacts Manger set? I looked under "Default
Programs" in Control Panel. Nothing obvious there.

wrt Item 1, I found a circuitous work-around. Print to .pdf, open in
Acrobat, then save the desired page as a one page .pdf (which I can live
with as an alt to an image format, but it is extra steps all the way.)

Sadly, WFS does not appear to honour the "current page only"
specification when printing to .pdf. No doubt they will blame Adobe for
that.

Unfortunately for my usage, WFS is a significant downgrade on the XP
fax facility. So much for "upgrading" to Vista.

Why on earth was the facility to save a single page as an image removed
from the fax facility (& then have the cheek to charge me for the
"upgrade").

--
DS_NZ
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Re: Vista fax options
MODI = Microsoft Office Document Imaging. If you installed office, you have
it.
You set default your default Contacts manager in Control Panel > Default
options.
You got it backwards from everyone else. WFS is the first improvement to the
fax module in decades.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"DS_NZ" <DS_NZ.355ta0@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
newsS_NZ.355ta0@no-mx.forums.net...

> Thanks Russ
>
> re:
>
> 1. MODI ? Never heard of it & a Google search did not help either.
> 3. Where is the default Contacts Manger set? I looked under "Default
> Programs" in Control Panel. Nothing obvious there.
>
> wrt Item 1, I found a circuitous work-around. Print to .pdf, open in
> Acrobat, then save the desired page as a one page .pdf (which I can live
> with as an alt to an image format, but it is extra steps all the way.)
>
> Sadly, WFS does not appear to honour the "current page only"
> specification when printing to .pdf. No doubt they will blame Adobe for
> that.
>
> Unfortunately for my usage, WFS is a significant downgrade on the XP
> fax facility. So much for "upgrading" to Vista.
>
> Why on earth was the facility to save a single page as an image removed
> from the fax facility (& then have the cheek to charge me for the
> "upgrade").
>

> --
> DS_NZ

DS_NZ

Re: Vista fax options

'Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook Wrote:
> ;621288']MODI = Microsoft Office Document Imaging. If you installed
> office, you have
> it.
> You set default your default Contacts manager in Control Panel >
> options.
> You got it backwards from everyone else. WFS is the first improvement
> to the
> fax module in decades.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]

Thanks. I have Office 2007. Had never previously encountered MODI,
but I did find it. Is it possible to make this the default fax viewer?

MODI does not show up when I try "open with" on a multipage .tif.
Photoshop CS3, Office Picture Manager, Paint, PictureViewer, & Windows
Photo Gallery are the only options showing.

Where are the .tif files for Sent faxes stored (I can see the InBox)?
They do not appear to be under "...\Documents\Fax\. Or do I first have
to save the fax to a tif file? If so, not really any advantage over
using pdf.

###

re Item 3. "Default Options" = "Default Programs"? Don't see "Default
Options" in Control Panel. And I don't see "Contacts Manager" in
"Default Programs" - just the option to set the program association for
the ".contact" extension. I set Office to be the default for everything
it could, but I still do not see it in WFS.

Is 32bit Office / 64bit Vista an issue?

###

re. your last comment. I realise there are some collaboration features
in there, but they are of no use to me (work from home). Access the fax
service on my desktop from other PC's on the home network would have
been nice (esp my laptop), but that does not seem to work. Not a big
deal. The removal of features previously there (easy to save single
page, etc) have, however, made the fax sw more difficult for me.

--
DS_NZ
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Re: Vista fax options
You can examine your own setup to see where your faxes are stored. Tools >
Fax Settings... > Advanced.
You can change your file association for TIF files if you want to MODI. Same
place: Control Panel > Default Programs
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"DS_NZ" <DS_NZ.356i9z@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
newsS_NZ.356i9z@no-mx.forums.net...

> 'Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook Wrote:
>> ;621288']MODI = Microsoft Office Document Imaging. If you installed
>> office, you have
>> it.
>> You set default your default Contacts manager in Control Panel >
>> options.
>> You got it backwards from everyone else. WFS is the first improvement
>> to the
>> fax module in decades.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>>

> Thanks. I have Office 2007. Had never previously encountered MODI,
> but I did find it. Is it possible to make this the default fax viewer?
>

> MODI does not show up when I try "open with" on a multipage .tif.
> Photoshop CS3, Office Picture Manager, Paint, PictureViewer, & Windows
> Photo Gallery are the only options showing.
>
> Where are the .tif files for Sent faxes stored (I can see the InBox)?
> They do not appear to be under "...\Documents\Fax\. Or do I first have
> to save the fax to a tif file? If so, not really any advantage over
> using pdf.
>
> ###
>
> re Item 3. "Default Options" = "Default Programs"? Don't see "Default
> Options" in Control Panel. And I don't see "Contacts Manager" in
> "Default Programs" - just the option to set the program association for
> the ".contact" extension. I set Office to be the default for everything
> it could, but I still do not see it in WFS.
>
> Is 32bit Office / 64bit Vista an issue?
>
> ###
>
> re. your last comment. I realise there are some collaboration features
> in there, but they are of no use to me (work from home). Access the fax
> service on my desktop from other PC's on the home network would have
> been nice (esp my laptop), but that does not seem to work. Not a big
> deal. The removal of features previously there (easy to save single
> page, etc) have, however, made the fax sw more difficult for me.
>

> --
> DS_NZ

Hal Hostetler [MVP P/I]

Re: Vista fax options
On item 3, you want 'Default Programs|Set default programs' and set Outlook
to be the default and make sure it has all its defaults.

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
Live at Hot Licks - www.badnewsbluesband.com

"DS_NZ" <DS_NZ.356i9z@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
newsS_NZ.356i9z@no-mx.forums.net...

> 'Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook Wrote:
> > ;621288']MODI = Microsoft Office Document Imaging. If you installed
> > office, you have
> > it.
> > You set default your default Contacts manager in Control Panel >
> > options.
> > You got it backwards from everyone else. WFS is the first improvement
> > to the
> > fax module in decades.
> > --
> > Russ Valentine
> > [MVP-Outlook]
> >

> Thanks. I have Office 2007. Had never previously encountered MODI,
> but I did find it. Is it possible to make this the default fax viewer?
>

> MODI does not show up when I try "open with" on a multipage .tif.
> Photoshop CS3, Office Picture Manager, Paint, PictureViewer, & Windows
> Photo Gallery are the only options showing.
>
> Where are the .tif files for Sent faxes stored (I can see the InBox)?
> They do not appear to be under "...\Documents\Fax\. Or do I first have
> to save the fax to a tif file? If so, not really any advantage over
> using pdf.
>
> ###
>
> re Item 3. "Default Options" = "Default Programs"? Don't see "Default
> Options" in Control Panel. And I don't see "Contacts Manager" in
> "Default Programs" - just the option to set the program association for
> the ".contact" extension. I set Office to be the default for everything
> it could, but I still do not see it in WFS.
>
> Is 32bit Office / 64bit Vista an issue?
>
> ###
>
> re. your last comment. I realise there are some collaboration features
> in there, but they are of no use to me (work from home). Access the fax
> service on my desktop from other PC's on the home network would have
> been nice (esp my laptop), but that does not seem to work. Not a big
> deal. The removal of features previously there (easy to save single
> page, etc) have, however, made the fax sw more difficult for me.
>

> --
> DS_NZ

PatoPaco

Re: Vista fax options
Hola
Please told the details!
What ever I do I always get the Outlook Address book, that is empty.
I can't get the several Contacts lists I have in Outlook.

"Hal Hostetler [MVP P/I]" wrote:

> On item 3, you want 'Default Programs|Set default programs' and set Outlook
> to be the default and make sure it has all its defaults.
>
> Hal
> --
> Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
> Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-Print/Imaging -- WA7BGX
> Live at Hot Licks - www.badnewsbluesband.com
>
> "DS_NZ" <DS_NZ.356i9z@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
> newsS_NZ.356i9z@no-mx.forums.net...
> >
> > 'Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook Wrote:
> > > ;621288']MODI = Microsoft Office Document Imaging. If you installed
> > > office, you have
> > > it.
> > > You set default your default Contacts manager in Control Panel >
> > > options.
> > > You got it backwards from everyone else. WFS is the first improvement
> > > to the
> > > fax module in decades.
> > > --
> > > Russ Valentine
> > > [MVP-Outlook]
> > >

> > Thanks. I have Office 2007. Had never previously encountered MODI,
> > but I did find it. Is it possible to make this the default fax viewer?
> >

> > MODI does not show up when I try "open with" on a multipage .tif.
> > Photoshop CS3, Office Picture Manager, Paint, PictureViewer, & Windows
> > Photo Gallery are the only options showing.
> >
> > Where are the .tif files for Sent faxes stored (I can see the InBox)?
> > They do not appear to be under "...\Documents\Fax\. Or do I first have
> > to save the fax to a tif file? If so, not really any advantage over
> > using pdf.
> >
> > ###
> >
> > re Item 3. "Default Options" = "Default Programs"? Don't see "Default
> > Options" in Control Panel. And I don't see "Contacts Manager" in
> > "Default Programs" - just the option to set the program association for
> > the ".contact" extension. I set Office to be the default for everything
> > it could, but I still do not see it in WFS.
> >
> > Is 32bit Office / 64bit Vista an issue?
> >
> > ###
> >
> > re. your last comment. I realise there are some collaboration features
> > in there, but they are of no use to me (work from home). Access the fax
> > service on my desktop from other PC's on the home network would have
> > been nice (esp my laptop), but that does not seem to work. Not a big
> > deal. The removal of features previously there (easy to save single
> > page, etc) have, however, made the fax sw more difficult for me.
> >

> > --
> > DS_NZ

Hal Hostetler [MVP P/I]

Re: Vista fax options
Make sure you've have the Outlook Address Book service installed and you've
set the Contacts folder to show as an e-mail Address Book:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/197577/en-us
"Show this folder as an e-mail Address Book" check box is dimmed in Outlook
Contact folder properties

Hal
--

"PatoPaco" <PatoPaco@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hola
> Please told the details!
> What ever I do I always get the Outlook Address book, that is empty.
> I can't get the several Contacts lists I have in Outlook.
>

> "Hal Hostetler [MVP P/I]" wrote:
>
> > On item 3, you want 'Default Programs|Set default programs' and set

Outlook
> > to be the default and make sure it has all its defaults.
> >
> > Hal
> > --
> > Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
> > Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-Print/Imaging -- WA7BGX
> > http://www.kvoa.com -- "When News breaks, we fix it!"
> > KVOA Television, Tucson, AZ. NBC Channel 4
> > Live at Hot Licks - www.badnewsbluesband.com
> >
> > "DS_NZ" <DS_NZ.356i9z@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
> > newsS_NZ.356i9z@no-mx.forums.net...

improvement

> > > Thanks. I have Office 2007. Had never previously encountered MODI,
> > > but I did find it. Is it possible to make this the default fax

viewer?

> > > MODI does not show up when I try "open with" on a multipage .tif.
> > > Photoshop CS3, Office Picture Manager, Paint, PictureViewer, & Windows
> > > Photo Gallery are the only options showing.
> > >
> > > Where are the .tif files for Sent faxes stored (I can see the InBox)?
> > > They do not appear to be under "...\Documents\Fax\. Or do I first

have
> > > to save the fax to a tif file? If so, not really any advantage over
> > > using pdf.
> > >
> > > ###
> > >
> > > re Item 3. "Default Options" = "Default Programs"? Don't see

> > > Options" in Control Panel. And I don't see "Contacts Manager" in
> > > "Default Programs" - just the option to set the program association

for
> > > the ".contact" extension. I set Office to be the default for

everything
> > > it could, but I still do not see it in WFS.
> > >
> > > Is 32bit Office / 64bit Vista an issue?
> > >
> > > ###
> > >
> > > re. your last comment. I realise there are some collaboration

features
> > > in there, but they are of no use to me (work from home). Access the

fax
> > > service on my desktop from other PC's on the home network would have
> > > been nice (esp my laptop), but that does not seem to work. Not a big
> > > deal. The removal of features previously there (easy to save single
> > > page, etc) have, however, made the fax sw more difficult for me.
> > >

> > > --
> > > DS_NZ

Josef Meier

Re: Vista fax options