Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads

Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads (http://www.vistaheads.com/forums/)
-   microsoft.public.windows.vista.print fax scan (http://www.vistaheads.com/forums/microsoft-public-windows-vista-print-fax-scan/)
-   -   printer connected to wireless router does not print (http://www.vistaheads.com/forums/microsoft-public-windows-vista-print-fax-scan/196808-printer-connected-wireless-router-does-not-print.html)

ogorki500 02-19-2008 21:49

printer connected to wireless router does not print
 
hi,

i am trying to make a wireless connection from my sony vaio laptop, running
vista business, to a printer (canon pixma ip4300) connected via usb to the
print server of my wireless router (siemens gigaset SE551). i installed the
printer as a 'local' printer on a tcp/ip address, as per the router manual -
admittedly, the manual instructions were for winxp.

the problem: the printer comes up in vista as 'offline', cannot be changed
to online, and won't print. documents appear in the print queue but do not
print out - only sometimes when i restart the computer, the printer prints
out a page or two of whatever the last failed job was. the same wireless
setup with my old sony xp pro laptop works perfectly, and the printer works
when connected to the vista laptop directly via usb cable, so the problem
must be vista... i've turned off win defender and win firewall to no avail.

should i install the printer as a network printer? i have tried this but
windows couldn't see the printer - it could see the router, but not the
printer connected to it. but i've never setup a networked printer before so
maybe there is something simple i'm missing.

i hope someone can help as this is driving me crazy!
thanks
kate

Alan Morris [MSFT] 02-20-2008 00:10

Re: printer connected to wireless router does not print
 
how is the TCP/IP port configured?

If the device is Offline it did not respond to the SNMP query issued by the
port monitor.

If the device does support SNMP than you can attempt to configure firewalls
and routing stuff to get the SNMP traffic resolved.

To get printing in the mean time, just disable SNMP on the port
configuration tab. The spooler will just write data to the address

I assume the router will respond to ping.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team
Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
http://support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

"ogorki500" <ogorki500@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:FF4833E3-B58D-494A-8B1C-9C5ADA6BFAF7@microsoft.com...
> hi,
>
> i am trying to make a wireless connection from my sony vaio laptop,
> running
> vista business, to a printer (canon pixma ip4300) connected via usb to the
> print server of my wireless router (siemens gigaset SE551). i installed
> the
> printer as a 'local' printer on a tcp/ip address, as per the router
> manual -
> admittedly, the manual instructions were for winxp.
>
> the problem: the printer comes up in vista as 'offline', cannot be changed
> to online, and won't print. documents appear in the print queue but do not
> print out - only sometimes when i restart the computer, the printer prints
> out a page or two of whatever the last failed job was. the same wireless
> setup with my old sony xp pro laptop works perfectly, and the printer
> works
> when connected to the vista laptop directly via usb cable, so the problem
> must be vista... i've turned off win defender and win firewall to no
> avail.
>
> should i install the printer as a network printer? i have tried this but
> windows couldn't see the printer - it could see the router, but not the
> printer connected to it. but i've never setup a networked printer before
> so
> maybe there is something simple i'm missing.
>
> i hope someone can help as this is driving me crazy!
> thanks
> kate




ogorki500 02-21-2008 00:36

RE: printer connected to wireless router does not print
 
hi again

if allan morris sees this: thank you for your posting in reply to my
question. i have not been able to login to the forum where i saw your reply
(techarena) so am posting here again.

turning off SNMP as you suggested did help! now the printer starts up and
prints about half a page before hanging. the job is listed as printed in the
print monitor window but the printer data light is still flashing. so far it
has been seized up for half an hour and counting.

you asked about the settings for the tcp/ip port, they are:
birectional support disabled [router does not support this]
printer pooling disabled
protocol: LPTR
queue name: LPT1
LPR byte counting and snmp status enabled boxes are both unchecked.

when i initially setup the port, i chose 'tcp/ip device' rather than
'autodetect' or 'web services on demand' (as it was the only one i kind of
recognised). don't knwo if this makes any difference.

i have turned off windows defender and firewall as i figured i am behind a
hardware firewall w the router in any case (?) but it doesn't seem to have
helped.

hope you or someone else can help me again, it is great to get the printer
working at all but more than half a page would be nice!

cheers
kate

"ogorki500" wrote:

> hi,
>
> i am trying to make a wireless connection from my sony vaio laptop, running
> vista business, to a printer (canon pixma ip4300) connected via usb to the
> print server of my wireless router (siemens gigaset SE551). i installed the
> printer as a 'local' printer on a tcp/ip address, as per the router manual -
> admittedly, the manual instructions were for winxp.
>
> the problem: the printer comes up in vista as 'offline', cannot be changed
> to online, and won't print. documents appear in the print queue but do not
> print out - only sometimes when i restart the computer, the printer prints
> out a page or two of whatever the last failed job was. the same wireless
> setup with my old sony xp pro laptop works perfectly, and the printer works
> when connected to the vista laptop directly via usb cable, so the problem
> must be vista... i've turned off win defender and win firewall to no avail.
>
> should i install the printer as a network printer? i have tried this but
> windows couldn't see the printer - it could see the router, but not the
> printer connected to it. but i've never setup a networked printer before so
> maybe there is something simple i'm missing.
>
> i hope someone can help as this is driving me crazy!
> thanks
> kate


Alan Morris [MSFT] 02-21-2008 03:12

Re: printer connected to wireless router does not print
 
Is the printer hooked directly to the hub port or do you have a USB hub
attached and this is how the printer is attached.

I'm hoping you had already connected the printer directly to the device.

Enable the LPR byte counting.

Does the device support the RAW protocol?

I saw the 3D model on the website but I did not find a manual to download.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team
Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
http://support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

"ogorki500" <ogorki500@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:3537408F-989E-4515-897D-52A64FF80CD8@microsoft.com...
> hi again
>
> if allan morris sees this: thank you for your posting in reply to my
> question. i have not been able to login to the forum where i saw your
> reply
> (techarena) so am posting here again.
>
> turning off SNMP as you suggested did help! now the printer starts up and
> prints about half a page before hanging. the job is listed as printed in
> the
> print monitor window but the printer data light is still flashing. so far
> it
> has been seized up for half an hour and counting.
>
> you asked about the settings for the tcp/ip port, they are:
> birectional support disabled [router does not support this]
> printer pooling disabled
> protocol: LPTR
> queue name: LPT1
> LPR byte counting and snmp status enabled boxes are both unchecked.
>
> when i initially setup the port, i chose 'tcp/ip device' rather than
> 'autodetect' or 'web services on demand' (as it was the only one i kind of
> recognised). don't knwo if this makes any difference.
>
> i have turned off windows defender and firewall as i figured i am behind a
> hardware firewall w the router in any case (?) but it doesn't seem to have
> helped.
>
> hope you or someone else can help me again, it is great to get the printer
> working at all but more than half a page would be nice!
>
> cheers
> kate
>
> "ogorki500" wrote:
>
>> hi,
>>
>> i am trying to make a wireless connection from my sony vaio laptop,
>> running
>> vista business, to a printer (canon pixma ip4300) connected via usb to
>> the
>> print server of my wireless router (siemens gigaset SE551). i installed
>> the
>> printer as a 'local' printer on a tcp/ip address, as per the router
>> manual -
>> admittedly, the manual instructions were for winxp.
>>
>> the problem: the printer comes up in vista as 'offline', cannot be
>> changed
>> to online, and won't print. documents appear in the print queue but do
>> not
>> print out - only sometimes when i restart the computer, the printer
>> prints
>> out a page or two of whatever the last failed job was. the same wireless
>> setup with my old sony xp pro laptop works perfectly, and the printer
>> works
>> when connected to the vista laptop directly via usb cable, so the problem
>> must be vista... i've turned off win defender and win firewall to no
>> avail.
>>
>> should i install the printer as a network printer? i have tried this but
>> windows couldn't see the printer - it could see the router, but not the
>> printer connected to it. but i've never setup a networked printer before
>> so
>> maybe there is something simple i'm missing.
>>
>> i hope someone can help as this is driving me crazy!
>> thanks
>> kate




ogorki500@yahoo.com.au 02-21-2008 08:50

Re: printer connected to wireless router does not print
 
On Feb 21, 3:12 am, "Alan Morris [MSFT]" <ala...@online.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> Is the printer hooked directly to the hub port or do you have a USB hub
> attached and this is how the printer is attached.
>
> I'm hoping you had already connected the printer directly to the device.
>
> Enable the LPR byte counting.
>
> Does the device support the RAW protocol?
>
> I saw the 3D model on the website but I did not find a manual to download.
>
> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team
> Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:http://support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1
>
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
>
> "ogorki500" <ogorki...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
> news:3537408F-989E-4515-897D-52A64FF80CD8@microsoft.com...
>
> > hi again

>
> > if allan morris sees this: thank you for your posting in reply to my
> > question. i have not been able to login to the forum where i saw your
> > reply
> > (techarena) so am posting here again.

>
> > turning off SNMP as you suggested did help! now the printer starts up and
> > prints about half a page before hanging. the job is listed as printed in
> > the
> > print monitor window but the printer data light is still flashing. so far
> > it
> > has been seized up for half an hour and counting.

>
> > you asked about the settings for the tcp/ip port, they are:
> > birectional support disabled [router does not support this]
> > printer pooling disabled
> > protocol: LPTR
> > queue name: LPT1
> > LPR byte counting and snmp status enabled boxes are both unchecked.

>
> > when i initially setup the port, i chose 'tcp/ip device' rather than
> > 'autodetect' or 'web services on demand' (as it was the only one i kind of
> > recognised). don't knwo if this makes any difference.

>
> > i have turned off windows defender and firewall as i figured i am behind a
> > hardware firewall w the router in any case (?) but it doesn't seem to have
> > helped.

>
> > hope you or someone else can help me again, it is great to get the printer
> > working at all but more than half a page would be nice!

>
> > cheers
> > kate

>
> > "ogorki500" wrote:

>
> >> hi,

>
> >> i am trying to make a wireless connection from my sony vaio laptop,
> >> running
> >> vista business, to a printer (canon pixma ip4300) connected via usb to
> >> the
> >> print server of my wireless router (siemens gigaset SE551). i installed
> >> the
> >> printer as a 'local' printer on a tcp/ip address, as per the router
> >> manual -
> >> admittedly, the manual instructions were for winxp.

>
> >> the problem: the printer comes up in vista as 'offline', cannot be
> >> changed
> >> to online, and won't print. documents appear in the print queue but do
> >> not
> >> print out - only sometimes when i restart the computer, the printer
> >> prints
> >> out a page or two of whatever the last failed job was. the same wireless
> >> setup with my old sony xp pro laptop works perfectly, and the printer
> >> works
> >> when connected to the vista laptop directly via usb cable, so the problem
> >> must be vista... i've turned off win defender and win firewall to no
> >> avail.

>
> >> should i install the printer as a network printer? i have tried this but
> >> windows couldn't see the printer - it could see the router, but not the
> >> printer connected to it. but i've never setup a networked printer before
> >> so
> >> maybe there is something simple i'm missing.

>
> >> i hope someone can help as this is driving me crazy!
> >> thanks
> >> kate


hi alan
yes i had already installed the printer on the laptop via a direct usb
connection. now the printer is connected directly to the usb port on
the wireless router.

i spent another couple of hours trying to make it work last night and
with the following setup it works!! but very slowly, ie. when printing
a 3 page word document it pauses for a couple of seconds after every
few lines of text

byte counting enabled
LPR mode (i tried raw mode but it didn't work so i guess is not
supported)
advanced printing features turned off in the printer control panel
(this was what finally got it working).

so i am three quarters happy - it doesn't seem quite right that for it
to print even slowly the 'advanced' features (like being able to do
print preview) should need to be turned off...

one more question: is leaving SNMP turned off ok? or do i need to turn
it on and change some settings in the router's firewall?? (as i am not
using windows firewall).

thanks very much for your help until now,
kate

Patrick C 02-21-2008 13:49

Re: printer connected to wireless router does not print
 
I'm using a Netgear wireless print server connected to a Brother MFC and
found after reinstalling and changing from the defaults:

I was having the same problem, seems disabling bidirectional and setting
start printing after last page is spooled.

start-control panel-classic view-printers-click once on printer-right click-
run as administrator-properties-printing preferences-settings-uncheck
bidirectional-ok-apply-advanced-set startprinting after last page is
spooled-apply-x out

I still occasionally get half page on startup but corrects itself and prints
full page.

"ogorki500" <ogorki500@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:3537408F-989E-4515-897D-52A64FF80CD8@microsoft.com...
> hi again
>
> if allan morris sees this: thank you for your posting in reply to my
> question. i have not been able to login to the forum where i saw your
> reply
> (techarena) so am posting here again.
>
> turning off SNMP as you suggested did help! now the printer starts up and
> prints about half a page before hanging. the job is listed as printed in
> the
> print monitor window but the printer data light is still flashing. so far
> it
> has been seized up for half an hour and counting.
>
> you asked about the settings for the tcp/ip port, they are:
> birectional support disabled [router does not support this]
> printer pooling disabled
> protocol: LPTR
> queue name: LPT1
> LPR byte counting and snmp status enabled boxes are both unchecked.
>
> when i initially setup the port, i chose 'tcp/ip device' rather than
> 'autodetect' or 'web services on demand' (as it was the only one i kind of
> recognised). don't knwo if this makes any difference.
>
> i have turned off windows defender and firewall as i figured i am behind a
> hardware firewall w the router in any case (?) but it doesn't seem to have
> helped.
>
> hope you or someone else can help me again, it is great to get the printer
> working at all but more than half a page would be nice!
>
> cheers
> kate
>
> "ogorki500" wrote:
>
>> hi,
>>
>> i am trying to make a wireless connection from my sony vaio laptop,
>> running
>> vista business, to a printer (canon pixma ip4300) connected via usb to
>> the
>> print server of my wireless router (siemens gigaset SE551). i installed
>> the
>> printer as a 'local' printer on a tcp/ip address, as per the router
>> manual -
>> admittedly, the manual instructions were for winxp.
>>
>> the problem: the printer comes up in vista as 'offline', cannot be
>> changed
>> to online, and won't print. documents appear in the print queue but do
>> not
>> print out - only sometimes when i restart the computer, the printer
>> prints
>> out a page or two of whatever the last failed job was. the same wireless
>> setup with my old sony xp pro laptop works perfectly, and the printer
>> works
>> when connected to the vista laptop directly via usb cable, so the problem
>> must be vista... i've turned off win defender and win firewall to no
>> avail.
>>
>> should i install the printer as a network printer? i have tried this but
>> windows couldn't see the printer - it could see the router, but not the
>> printer connected to it. but i've never setup a networked printer before
>> so
>> maybe there is something simple i'm missing.
>>
>> i hope someone can help as this is driving me crazy!
>> thanks
>> kate



Patrick C 02-22-2008 15:26

Re: printer connected to wireless router does not print
 
PS
Bidirectional support for your printer may be in the ports tab. Uncheck
enable bidirectional support.

"Patrick C" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
news:7revj.11987$Ch6.9090@newssvr11.news.prodigy.n et...
> I'm using a Netgear wireless print server connected to a Brother MFC and
> found after reinstalling and changing from the defaults:
>
> I was having the same problem, seems disabling bidirectional and setting
> start printing after last page is spooled.
>
> start-control panel-classic view-printers-click once on printer-right
> click- run as administrator-properties-printing
> preferences-settings-uncheck bidirectional-ok-apply-advanced-set
> startprinting after last page is spooled-apply-x out
>
> I still occasionally get half page on startup but corrects itself and
> prints full page.
>
> "ogorki500" <ogorki500@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:3537408F-989E-4515-897D-52A64FF80CD8@microsoft.com...
>> hi again
>>
>> if allan morris sees this: thank you for your posting in reply to my
>> question. i have not been able to login to the forum where i saw your
>> reply
>> (techarena) so am posting here again.
>>
>> turning off SNMP as you suggested did help! now the printer starts up and
>> prints about half a page before hanging. the job is listed as printed in
>> the
>> print monitor window but the printer data light is still flashing. so far
>> it
>> has been seized up for half an hour and counting.
>>
>> you asked about the settings for the tcp/ip port, they are:
>> birectional support disabled [router does not support this]
>> printer pooling disabled
>> protocol: LPTR
>> queue name: LPT1
>> LPR byte counting and snmp status enabled boxes are both unchecked.
>>
>> when i initially setup the port, i chose 'tcp/ip device' rather than
>> 'autodetect' or 'web services on demand' (as it was the only one i kind
>> of
>> recognised). don't knwo if this makes any difference.
>>
>> i have turned off windows defender and firewall as i figured i am behind
>> a
>> hardware firewall w the router in any case (?) but it doesn't seem to
>> have
>> helped.
>>
>> hope you or someone else can help me again, it is great to get the
>> printer
>> working at all but more than half a page would be nice!
>>
>> cheers
>> kate
>>
>> "ogorki500" wrote:
>>
>>> hi,
>>>
>>> i am trying to make a wireless connection from my sony vaio laptop,
>>> running
>>> vista business, to a printer (canon pixma ip4300) connected via usb to
>>> the
>>> print server of my wireless router (siemens gigaset SE551). i installed
>>> the
>>> printer as a 'local' printer on a tcp/ip address, as per the router
>>> manual -
>>> admittedly, the manual instructions were for winxp.
>>>
>>> the problem: the printer comes up in vista as 'offline', cannot be
>>> changed
>>> to online, and won't print. documents appear in the print queue but do
>>> not
>>> print out - only sometimes when i restart the computer, the printer
>>> prints
>>> out a page or two of whatever the last failed job was. the same wireless
>>> setup with my old sony xp pro laptop works perfectly, and the printer
>>> works
>>> when connected to the vista laptop directly via usb cable, so the
>>> problem
>>> must be vista... i've turned off win defender and win firewall to no
>>> avail.
>>>
>>> should i install the printer as a network printer? i have tried this but
>>> windows couldn't see the printer - it could see the router, but not the
>>> printer connected to it. but i've never setup a networked printer before
>>> so
>>> maybe there is something simple i'm missing.
>>>
>>> i hope someone can help as this is driving me crazy!
>>> thanks
>>> kate

>



David J 02-26-2008 10:20

Re: printer connected to wireless router does not print
 
Just want to let you all know that I disabled bi-directional printing and set
the Spool setting in Printer Properties > Advanced to "Start printing after
last page is spooled", and now my Brother MFC 5440 prints in Vista (all other
XP machines were printing fine all along).

David

"Patrick C" wrote:

> PS
> Bidirectional support for your printer may be in the ports tab. Uncheck
> enable bidirectional support.
>..
>..
> > I was having the same problem, seems disabling bidirectional and setting
> > start printing after last page is spooled.
> >



Patrick C 02-26-2008 15:04

Re: printer connected to wireless router does not print
 
Thanks for letting us know. Something must be going on with Vista vs XP.

"David J" <David J@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:7CE3D06D-E17F-42E8-B806-250744EEA68C@microsoft.com...
> Just want to let you all know that I disabled bi-directional printing and
> set
> the Spool setting in Printer Properties > Advanced to "Start printing
> after
> last page is spooled", and now my Brother MFC 5440 prints in Vista (all
> other
> XP machines were printing fine all along).
>
> David
>
> "Patrick C" wrote:
>
>> PS
>> Bidirectional support for your printer may be in the ports tab. Uncheck
>> enable bidirectional support.
>>..
>>..
>> > I was having the same problem, seems disabling bidirectional and
>> > setting
>> > start printing after last page is spooled.
>> >

>



prcasher 05-04-2008 13:30

Re: printer connected to wireless router does not print
 

Working with Netgear support we found that manually setting up the
TCP/IP port seems to eliminate the occasional reprint problem:
Setting up Netgear WGPS606 for TCP/IP using Vista Home Premium:

1. You should be logged on with administrator privileges.Get IP address
of the print server.

a. Run the cd of the print server to get the IP address of the print
server.

2. Set up a TCP/IP port on the computer using the following steps:

a. Click on start, then Control Panel.
b. Select Classic View.
c. Double click on Printers.
d. Right click anywhere in the space below the printer icons.
e. Click Run as Administrator.
f. Click Add Printer (ok permission).
g. Click Add a Network, Wireless, or Bluetooth Printer.
h. Select Stop.
i. Select The Printer I Want Isn't Listed.
j. Select Add a Printer Using TCP/IP Address or Host Name.
k. Click Next.
l. Under Device Type select TCP/IP Device.
m. In Hostname or IP address enter IP address obtained from cd run ie;
192.168.1.103.
n. Uncheck Query the printer and automatically select the driver to
use.
o. Click Next.
p. It detects TCP/IP port - may take a few minutes.
q. Select Custom.
r. Click Settings.
s. In Protocol select LPR.
t. In Que Name, for port 1 type L1, for port 2 type L2, (referencing
the port on print server),
Check LPR Byte Counting Enabled.
u. Click Ok.
v. Click Next.
w. Find Printer Manufacturer and Printer in List, Click Next.
x. Select use current or replace driver.
y. Alter name and/or select as default printer if desired.
z. Print test page if desired and click Finish.


--
prcasher
------------------------------------------------------------------------
prcasher's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=48171
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=917559

http://forums.techarena.in



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:22.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120