Printers stop working

Dan@Cornetser

Printers stop working
I have a new Dell with Windows Vista Business installed. I set it up to
connect to the network printers and everything was fully operational. I was
printing fine on 2/15/08. I came into work this morning 2/19/08 and when I
try to print I get a message saying unable to print. I get the same message
with 2 different canon printers and 1 hp laserjet printer. I tried removing
the printer and reinstalling it and there was no change. I installed it
locally and there was no change. I stopped and restarted the print spooler
and there was no change. I cannot even print a test page.
Can anyone lend some assistance?
Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Printers stop working
Did you try System Restore to Friday?
--
Cari (MS-MVP) Printing & Imaging
www.coribright.com/windows

"Dan@Cornetser" <Dan@Cornetser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a new Dell with Windows Vista Business installed. I set it up to
> connect to the network printers and everything was fully operational. I
> was
> printing fine on 2/15/08. I came into work this morning 2/19/08 and when I
> try to print I get a message saying unable to print. I get the same
> message
> with 2 different canon printers and 1 hp laserjet printer. I tried
> removing
> the printer and reinstalling it and there was no change. I installed it
> locally and there was no change. I stopped and restarted the print spooler
> and there was no change. I cannot even print a test page.
> Can anyone lend some assistance?

Dan@Cornetser

Re: Printers stop working
I did the system restore to Friday and that did correct the problem. Have you
heard of a vista update that has been generating this problem? It is not only
effecting the printers but the control panel will not open from the start
menu. You have to open my computer, expand the folder list, then open the
control panel from there. It seems to be corrupting the MMC Snap-in.

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Did you try System Restore to Friday?
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP) Printing & Imaging
> www.coribright.com/windows
>
> "Dan@Cornetser" <Dan@Cornetser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a new Dell with Windows Vista Business installed. I set it up to
> > connect to the network printers and everything was fully operational. I
> > was
> > printing fine on 2/15/08. I came into work this morning 2/19/08 and when I
> > try to print I get a message saying unable to print. I get the same
> > message
> > with 2 different canon printers and 1 hp laserjet printer. I tried
> > removing
> > the printer and reinstalling it and there was no change. I installed it
> > locally and there was no change. I stopped and restarted the print spooler
> > and there was no change. I cannot even print a test page.
> > Can anyone lend some assistance?

jgross

Re: Printers stop working
I am having this problem also. I noticed that if you stop and restart the
software licensing service, then the control panel comes back up and you can
print again.

"Dan@Cornetser" wrote:

> I did the system restore to Friday and that did correct the problem. Have you
> heard of a vista update that has been generating this problem? It is not only
> effecting the printers but the control panel will not open from the start
> menu. You have to open my computer, expand the folder list, then open the
> control panel from there. It seems to be corrupting the MMC Snap-in.
>
> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
> > Did you try System Restore to Friday?
> > --
> > Cari (MS-MVP) Printing & Imaging
> > www.coribright.com/windows
> >
> > "Dan@Cornetser" <Dan@Cornetser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I have a new Dell with Windows Vista Business installed. I set it up to
> > > connect to the network printers and everything was fully operational. I
> > > was
> > > printing fine on 2/15/08. I came into work this morning 2/19/08 and when I
> > > try to print I get a message saying unable to print. I get the same
> > > message
> > > with 2 different canon printers and 1 hp laserjet printer. I tried
> > > removing
> > > the printer and reinstalling it and there was no change. I installed it
> > > locally and there was no change. I stopped and restarted the print spooler
> > > and there was no change. I cannot even print a test page.
> > > Can anyone lend some assistance?

Dan@Cornetser

Re: Printers stop working
Does the contol panel and the ability to print remain after you restart?

"jgross" wrote:

> I am having this problem also. I noticed that if you stop and restart the
> software licensing service, then the control panel comes back up and you can
> print again.
>
> "Dan@Cornetser" wrote:
>
> > I did the system restore to Friday and that did correct the problem. Have you
> > heard of a vista update that has been generating this problem? It is not only
> > effecting the printers but the control panel will not open from the start
> > menu. You have to open my computer, expand the folder list, then open the
> > control panel from there. It seems to be corrupting the MMC Snap-in.
> >
> > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> >
> > > Did you try System Restore to Friday?
> > > --
> > > Cari (MS-MVP) Printing & Imaging
> > > www.coribright.com/windows

jgross

Re: Printers stop working
Unfortunately, no. If you reboot or shutdown/restart, the control
panel/printers are broken again. Restarting the software licensing service
is just a quick fix, but I still haven't figured out the real culprit.

"Dan@Cornetser" wrote:

> Does the contol panel and the ability to print remain after you restart?
>
> "jgross" wrote:
>
> > I am having this problem also. I noticed that if you stop and restart the
> > software licensing service, then the control panel comes back up and you can
> > print again.
> >
> > "Dan@Cornetser" wrote:
> >
> > > I did the system restore to Friday and that did correct the problem. Have you
> > > heard of a vista update that has been generating this problem? It is not only
> > > effecting the printers but the control panel will not open from the start
> > > menu. You have to open my computer, expand the folder list, then open the
> > > control panel from there. It seems to be corrupting the MMC Snap-in.

Dan@Cornetser

Re: Printers stop working
By doing a system restore when it starts back up the control panel/printers
are fine. I left the machine on over night then rebooted this morning and the
control panel/printers were fully operational. I belive the issue is with a
vista patch that is corrupting the MMC Snap-in. The next time the printers
and control panel do not work look in administrative tools and click print
management. you will see there is an issue with the MMC snap-in. I am still
trying to figure out what patch is causing all of these problems. I have a
lot of other machines that this will happen to if I do not block the culprit.

"jgross" wrote:

> Unfortunately, no. If you reboot or shutdown/restart, the control
> panel/printers are broken again. Restarting the software licensing service
> is just a quick fix, but I still haven't figured out the real culprit.
>
> "Dan@Cornetser" wrote:
>
> > Does the contol panel and the ability to print remain after you restart?
> >
> > "jgross" wrote:
> >
> > > I am having this problem also. I noticed that if you stop and restart the
> > > software licensing service, then the control panel comes back up and you can
> > > print again.

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Printers stop working
Updates from Microsoft usually only occur on the second Tuesday of every
month. However it could be another program causing the error... Adobe
updates when it likes, as does Java, your antivirus software etc etc.
--

>I did the system restore to Friday and that did correct the problem. Have
>you
> heard of a vista update that has been generating this problem? It is not
> only
> effecting the printers but the control panel will not open from the start
> menu. You have to open my computer, expand the folder list, then open the
> control panel from there. It seems to be corrupting the MMC Snap-in.
>
> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Did you try System Restore to Friday?
>> --
>> Cari (MS-MVP) Printing & Imaging
>> www.coribright.com/windows
>>
>> "Dan@Cornetser" <Dan@Cornetser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
>> >I have a new Dell with Windows Vista Business installed. I set it up to
>> > connect to the network printers and everything was fully operational. I
>> > was
>> > printing fine on 2/15/08. I came into work this morning 2/19/08 and
>> > when I
>> > try to print I get a message saying unable to print. I get the same
>> > message
>> > with 2 different canon printers and 1 hp laserjet printer. I tried
>> > removing
>> > the printer and reinstalling it and there was no change. I installed it
>> > locally and there was no change. I stopped and restarted the print
>> > spooler
>> > and there was no change. I cannot even print a test page.
>> > Can anyone lend some assistance?

MNF-VA

RE: Printers stop working
Thank you! thank you! I've been working since Sunday to figure out why two
PC's on my network couldn't print to the Main printer. I've uninstalled and
reinstalled. Did Restore System to Saturday before the latest Windows Update
and the problem was solved. I hope MSFT fixes this quickly. What a
nightmare!

Thanks!

"Dan@Cornetser" wrote:

> I have a new Dell with Windows Vista Business installed. I set it up to
> connect to the network printers and everything was fully operational. I was
> printing fine on 2/15/08. I came into work this morning 2/19/08 and when I
> try to print I get a message saying unable to print. I get the same message
> with 2 different canon printers and 1 hp laserjet printer. I tried removing
> the printer and reinstalling it and there was no change. I installed it
> locally and there was no change. I stopped and restarted the print spooler
> and there was no change. I cannot even print a test page.
> Can anyone lend some assistance?

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Printers stop working
I did forward this to some other people but so far no one on the print side
of life is aware of any print related updates (other than Vista SP1).

Any help on exactly what the update file of update number is would be
helpful.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team