Vista & XP Printer Share Problems

=?Utf-8?B?Qm9uZXM1NTg=?=

Vista & XP Printer Share Problems
I am having trouble connecting to shared printers on XP based machines from
any Vista machine I try.
The printers are shared correctly and other XP, 2000, 98SE, etc. machines
can connect to them fine.
One machine has an HP 1100 LaserJet attached and is using the default HP
1100 LaserJet (MS) driver.
Another has a Canon iP1700 attached and is using Canon's latest driver from
their website.

For the HP, Vista will see the share, but when you try to connect it just
says "Access Denied."

For the Canon, Vista will see the share, you can connect, and it will pull
the correct driver and install the printer. When you try to print it will
spool the job for a couple seconds, but nothing ever comes out of the printer
and the job just disappears. Also on the XP machine the Canon is connected to
the Event log shows this error:
>Event Type: Error
>Event Source: Print
>Event Category: None
>Event ID: 6161
>Date: 3/7/2007
>Time: 11:26:52 PM
>User: BN-GOLD\Guest
>Computer:
>The document Test Page owned by Guest failed to print on printer Canon iP1700. Data type: NT EMF >1.008. Size of the spool file in bytes: 717461. Number of bytes printed: 32. Total number of pages in the >document: 1. Number of pages printed: 0. Client machine: \\192.168.0.30. Win32 error code returned by >the print processor: 259 (0x103).

Note: The HP and Canon printers are on separate XP machines. Also I have
more than one Vista machine and the same thing happens on all.

Anyone have any idea why this is happening and what I can do to fix it? I
verified that all the permissions on the XP machines are correct. I have also
tried adding the printers to Vista as Local Ports using the UNC paths. If any
more info is needed, please let me know. Thanks in advance!
Kevin Purcell

Re: Vista & XP Printer Share Problems
Here is a workaround you might be able to use.

Go to add printer on your vista machine. Choose local printer and then
choose new port and type in the address of the printer like this
\\xpcomputer\printername (substitute the name of your computer and the name
your printer is shared as.

That should work for you. It did for me. Only way to make them work for
me. I would bet you have XP Home on the computers sharing the printers.
This seems to only affect Home. Haven't heard of anyone with XP pro having
this problem yet.

--
BigK wrote this.

=?Utf-8?B?Qm9uZXM1NTg=?=

Re: Vista & XP Printer Share Problems
Actually these are XP Pro machines.

As I stated in my 1st post, " I have also tried adding the printers to Vista
as Local Ports using the UNC paths," I have already tried that method.

"Kevin Purcell" wrote:

> Here is a workaround you might be able to use.
>
> Go to add printer on your vista machine. Choose local printer and then
> choose new port and type in the address of the printer like this
> \\xpcomputer\printername (substitute the name of your computer and the name
> your printer is shared as.
>
> That should work for you. It did for me. Only way to make them work for
> me. I would bet you have XP Home on the computers sharing the printers.
> This seems to only affect Home. Haven't heard of anyone with XP pro having
> this problem yet.
>

> "Bones558" <Bones558@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am having trouble connecting to shared printers on XP based machines from
> > any Vista machine I try.
> > The printers are shared correctly and other XP, 2000, 98SE, etc. machines
> > can connect to them fine.
> > One machine has an HP 1100 LaserJet attached and is using the default HP
> > 1100 LaserJet (MS) driver.
> > Another has a Canon iP1700 attached and is using Canon's latest driver
> > from
> > their website.
> >
> > For the HP, Vista will see the share, but when you try to connect it just
> > says "Access Denied."
> >
> > For the Canon, Vista will see the share, you can connect, and it will pull
> > the correct driver and install the printer. When you try to print it will
> > spool the job for a couple seconds, but nothing ever comes out of the
> > printer
> > and the job just disappears. Also on the XP machine the Canon is connected
> > the Event log shows this error:
> >>Event Type: Error
> >>Event Source: Print
> >>Event Category: None
> >>Event ID: 6161
> >>Date: 3/7/2007
> >>Time: 11:26:52 PM
> >>User: BN-GOLD\Guest
> >>Computer:
> >>The document Test Page owned by Guest failed to print on printer Canon
> >>iP1700. Data type: NT EMF >1.008. Size of the spool file in bytes: 717461.
> >>Number of bytes printed: 32. Total number of pages in the >document: 1.
> >>Number of pages printed: 0. Client machine: \\192.168.0.30. Win32 error
> >>code returned by >the print processor: 259 (0x103).

> > Note: The HP and Canon printers are on separate XP machines. Also I have
> > more than one Vista machine and the same thing happens on all.
> >
> > Anyone have any idea why this is happening and what I can do to fix it? I
> > verified that all the permissions on the XP machines are correct. I have
> > also
> > tried adding the printers to Vista as Local Ports using the UNC paths. If
> > any
> > more info is needed, please let me know. Thanks in advance!

> --
> BigK wrote this.

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Vista & XP Printer Share Problems
In the properties of the Canon, does EVERYONE have the correct permissions?
Are you using Simple File Sharing on the XP PCs? Can the Vista PC see the
files and folders on the XP PCs?
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
http://www.coribright.com/windows