Shared printer problem. XP to Vista printing.

Steve

Shared printer problem. XP to Vista printing.
I have a Vista computer and an XP computer. Both are on a domain.
I have an HP Laserjet 1018 printer attached and installed locally on
the Vista computer.
The printer is shared and is added to the XP computer.

When printing from XP to the laserjet printer on Vista it acts like it
goes..no errors but nothing comes out.
However, if you restart the print spooler then the jobs start
printing.
The printer works fine when printing from the Vista machine but not
when you try to print from other computers on the network.
Anyone know how to resolve this without having to restart the print
spooler all the time?

Drivers have been reinstalled and that does not help.
I also tried removing the printer. Re-adding it. Sharing it again and
re-adding it to other hosts on the network....same issue.
Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Shared printer problem. XP to Vista printing.
this sounds like a security issue.

When the spooler is started, any pending jobs are scheduled with the spooler
security token rather than the users.

I do not see an inbox driver for the 1018 so I assume you got the driver
from HP.

The first thing would be contact HP and find out if the driver is creating
temp files somewhere but this will most likely take too long and might not
be fruitful.

So...

check the system event log for print errors.

Verify \windows\system32\spool\printers has write access for the Everyone
group

You can also try opening %temp% (normally \windows\temp ) for Everyone
access but change this back if that does allow the printer to work

download filemon and regmon and find out if the driver is attempting to
create file somewhere that is failing.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"Steve" <srudenko@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a Vista computer and an XP computer. Both are on a domain.
> I have an HP Laserjet 1018 printer attached and installed locally on
> the Vista computer.
> The printer is shared and is added to the XP computer.
>
> When printing from XP to the laserjet printer on Vista it acts like it
> goes..no errors but nothing comes out.
> However, if you restart the print spooler then the jobs start
> printing.
> The printer works fine when printing from the Vista machine but not
> when you try to print from other computers on the network.
> Anyone know how to resolve this without having to restart the print
> spooler all the time?
>
> Drivers have been reinstalled and that does not help.
> I also tried removing the printer. Re-adding it. Sharing it again and
> re-adding it to other hosts on the network....same issue.

Greg DC

RE: Shared printer problem. XP to Vista printing.
Hope you don't mind if I piggy-back on this.
I have a similar problem but going the other way
I have a XP SP2 computer with a X1185 attached to it.
I have a Vista business comuter. Both are on a router and Vista can "see"
the XP in My Network. I can open the XP and see the printer, X1185.
I have added a network printer to the Vista "successfully". But when I
print to the network printer the spool file on the Vista shows it ready to
go, but the XP does not show it in the spool and nothing prints.

Any Ideas would be appreciated!!

"Steve" wrote:

> I have a Vista computer and an XP computer. Both are on a domain.
> I have an HP Laserjet 1018 printer attached and installed locally on
> the Vista computer.
> The printer is shared and is added to the XP computer.
>
> When printing from XP to the laserjet printer on Vista it acts like it
> goes..no errors but nothing comes out.
> However, if you restart the print spooler then the jobs start
> printing.
> The printer works fine when printing from the Vista machine but not
> when you try to print from other computers on the network.
> Anyone know how to resolve this without having to restart the print
> spooler all the time?
>
> Drivers have been reinstalled and that does not help.
> I also tried removing the printer. Re-adding it. Sharing it again and
> re-adding it to other hosts on the network....same issue.

IBM Printerguy

Re: Shared printer problem. XP to Vista printing.

Hi Steve - I believe your problem is with the client computer you are
trying to print from (in your case the Windows XP computer). On the
client computer open the Control Panel and select "Printers and Other
Hardware", then click on "Printers and Faxes". Locate and right-click on
the shared printer you created that points to the Vista-attached
printer. Select Properties, then select Ports, and you will likely see
that the box beside "Enable Bidirectional Support" is checked. Uncheck
this box and then select the "General" tab, and select "Print Test Page"
- this should print correctly to your Vista-attached printer.

The problem appears to be the fact that Windows, by default, enables a
bi-directional printer communication link whenever a new printer is
added, and this is usually fine when the printer is locally attached,
but when you are printing from a client to a remote server, with this
option selected the client will wait for (yet never receive)
confirmation that the print job is spooled to the "printer", so the job
stalls. The server will hold onto the print job (it will show as
"Printing" in the both the client and server printer queue windows), yet
nothing will print until the spooler service is stopped and re-started
(or the server is re-started), at which time all queued jobs will print.

Disabling the bi-directional protocol/support on the client as
described above should get you around this problem.

Greg, this should help your issue as well.

Hope this helps - good luck.

--
IBM Printerguy
Subramanian

RE: Shared printer problem. XP to Vista printing.
Hi,

Have you solved this problem, Bcoz i am also face this problem, If you
solved, mail me "how you solved?" this problem
My ID Is pjsubramanian@gmail.com

Regards,
Subramanian.J

"Steve" wrote:

> I have a Vista computer and an XP computer. Both are on a domain.
> I have an HP Laserjet 1018 printer attached and installed locally on
> the Vista computer.
> The printer is shared and is added to the XP computer.
>
> When printing from XP to the laserjet printer on Vista it acts like it
> goes..no errors but nothing comes out.
> However, if you restart the print spooler then the jobs start
> printing.
> The printer works fine when printing from the Vista machine but not
> when you try to print from other computers on the network.
> Anyone know how to resolve this without having to restart the print
> spooler all the time?
>
> Drivers have been reinstalled and that does not help.
> I also tried removing the printer. Re-adding it. Sharing it again and
> re-adding it to other hosts on the network....same issue.

astaykov is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vista print spooler problems with shared printers
Hello,
It is a complicated problem.
A work-around is here: Anton Staykov's Blog: Network printing with VISTA and XP / print spooler hangs
This solution is found spending hours and hours with HP online support as well as Microsoft TechNet forums and VISTA forums.

hope this helps,
Anton