Problem printing from XP to printer networked on Vista x64

Wylee

Problem printing from XP to printer networked on Vista x64
I have tried posting this in microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general without
success. Someone there suggested I try here, so here I am!

I have Vista Ultimate x64 as my primary computer networked to a Windows XP
computer. The Vista computer is always on and the XP computer is only on when
required. My printer is a HP Deskjet 6540 and is attached to the Vista x64
computer. My problem is I cannot seem to print properly from the XP computer
(I constantly get a mirror image). I have done all the checks and no, mirror
image is not ticked (and if I do tick it, same result). I have used the
latest drivers from HP on the XP computer and the Vista built-in driver for
the Vista computer. If I connect the printer to the XP computer directly and
print from the XP computer it prints correctly, and if I connect the printer
to the Vista x64 computer and print from Vista x64 it prints correctly, it
only fails (mirror image) when I try to print from the XP computer and the
printer is attached to the Vista x64 computer. Any suggestions?
Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Problem printing from XP to printer networked on Vista x64
Verify the machine devmode setting shared printer is set to Portrait

on the Vista machine

launch printmanagement.msc

Expand Printer Server / local machine / Printers

find the printer, right click
Set Printing Defaults...
Click on the Finishing tab

If this is set to Mirror, change this and on the XP machine delete the
connection, then create again.

If it's set properly, then it's possible that there is a Device Mode
(devmode) mismatch between the x86 driver and the x64 driver or the print
processor does not work the same between the drivers.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team