HP Scanjet 5200C in Vista, anyone?

Adams G.H.

HP Scanjet 5200C in Vista, anyone?
We have HP Scanjet 5200C scanner.

We are in process of upgrade our computer to Dell running in Vista.

We found NO HP Scanjet 5200C drivers for Vista.
We tried but failed to load HP Scanjet 5200C drivers (was HP XP drivers) in
Vista.

Can anyone tell me what scanning freeware works on Vista and HP Scanjet
5200C?

Thank you.

Kevin

Re: HP Scanjet 5200C in Vista, anyone?

"Adams G.H." <no.spam@no.spam.com> wrote in message
> We have HP Scanjet 5200C scanner.
>
> We are in process of upgrade our computer to Dell running in Vista.
>
> We found NO HP Scanjet 5200C drivers for Vista.
> We tried but failed to load HP Scanjet 5200C drivers (was HP XP drivers)
> in Vista.
>
> Can anyone tell me what scanning freeware works on Vista and HP Scanjet
> 5200C?
>
> Thank you.

HP does not supply Vista drivers for this machine. Sorry, but you are
likely out of luck.

huwyngr

In article <ePqX0BQcIHA.4144@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl>, Adams G.H. wrote:

> We tried but failed to load HP Scanjet 5200C drivers (was HP XP drivers) in*
> Vista.

How is the scanner connected to the PC? USB or Parallel or scsi?

If it's USB you must disconnect the USB cable from the PC and install the
software first, then connect the USB cable when told or after Finish.

If you want to try this again make sure that you disconnect the scanner,
delete any icons there may be for it in a Control Panel folder, uninstall the
HP software for it in Control Panel / Remove Programs and then reboot the PC
to clean up.

Then install the HP software but do this: if it is a downloaded file ending in
.exe right mouse click on that file (if you are using an HP CD for XP look at
it in Windows Explorer and find the file that starts the installation
procedure, probably setup.exe) and select Properties / Compatibility and on
that TAB check the box for Compatibility Mode XP with SP2 and then lower down
on that TAB check Run as Administrator and OK your way out. If the
installation does not start automatically find that same file again, right
mouse click on it and select Run as Administrator on the context menu that
appears and that should start it.

Then follow instructions .....

But preferably come back first and say what version of VISTA you are using and
more about the source of the HP software; also about how the scanner is
connected.

Adams G.H.

"huwyngr" <Hugh_Wyn_Griffith@simpilot.net> wrote in message
news:VA.000005e1.01703ad8@unspam.tampabay.rr.com.. .
> In article <ePqX0BQcIHA.4144@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl>, Adams G.H. wrote:
>
>> We tried but failed to load HP Scanjet 5200C drivers (was HP XP drivers)
>> in
>> Vista.

> How is the scanner connected to the PC? USB or Parallel or scsi?
>
> If it's USB you must disconnect the USB cable from the PC and install the
> software first, then connect the USB cable when told or after Finish.
>
> If you want to try this again make sure that you disconnect the scanner,
> delete any icons there may be for it in a Control Panel folder, uninstall
> the
> HP software for it in Control Panel / Remove Programs and then reboot the
> PC
> to clean up.
>
> Then install the HP software but do this: if it is a downloaded file
> ending in
> exe right mouse click on that file (if you are using an HP CD for XP look
> at
> it in Windows Explorer and find the file that starts the installation
> procedure, probably setup.exe) and select Properties / Compatibility and
> on
> that TAB check the box for Compatibility Mode XP with SP2 and then lower
> down
> on that TAB check Run as Administrator and OK your way out. If the
> installation does not start automatically find that same file again, right
> mouse click on it and select Run as Administrator on the context menu that
> appears and that should start it.
>
> Then follow instructions .....
>
> But preferably come back first and say what version of VISTA you are using
> and
> more about the source of the HP software; also about how the scanner is
> connected.

Most of our HP 5200C scanner are connected by USB. But a few system used
parallel.

Both the HP CD disc and download HP 5200C scanner drivers are for XP and
will NOT install in Vista, with error during installation disc loading.

huwyngr

Re: HP Scanjet 5200C in Vista, anyone?
You did not say what version of VISTA you are using -- if it's 64bit all
bets are off.

In article <#MeCnGycIHA.4936@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl>, Adams G.H. wrote:

> Both the HP CD disc and download HP 5200C scanner drivers are for XP and*
> will NOT install in Vista, with error during installation disc loading.

What does the error message say?

Have you tried what I indicated including after removing all traces of HP
software and hardware on the drive and disconnecting the USB cable from the
PC?

.... select Properties / Compatibility and on*that TAB check the box for
Compatibility Mode XP with SP2 and then lower down*on that TAB check Run as
Administrator

I and others have installed much XP software both with and without
Compatibility mode and it is rare for it to fail to install and run.

But if you don't answer specific questions no-one can help you.

Adams G.H.

news:VA.000005e6.00faab05@unspam.tampabay.rr.com.. .
> You did not say what version of VISTA you are using -- if it's 64bit all
> bets are off.

Vista Ultimate 32 bits with all updates to date.

huwyngr

Re: HP Scanjet 5200C in Vista, anyone?
For crying out loud -- will you please answer the questions you are
asked. We are all volunteers here and can do better things than ask the
same question again and again.

Read my message to you which repeats the question I asked earlier and
that was unanswered.

Bob F.

news:VA.000005e7.000b1af4@unspam.tampabay.rr.com.. .
> For crying out loud -- will you please answer the questions you are
> asked. We are all volunteers here and can do better things than ask the
> same question again and again.
>
> Read my message to you which repeats the question I asked earlier and
> that was unanswered.

Huwyngr,
When you respond to someone and don't copy the preceding thread, you sound
like you are talking to yourself. Could you please turn on the option to
quote the previous question.
Thanks, BobF.

huwyngr

Re: HP Scanjet 5200C in Vista, anyone?
I normally do but I use an Off Line Reader that makes that unnecessary
and in any case it should be obvious who I'm addressing.

Try using a threaded view and read back if you need to.

Ken Blake, MVP

Re: HP Scanjet 5200C in Vista, anyone?
On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 22:16:07 -0500, huwyngr
<Hugh_Wyn_Griffith@simpilot.net> wrote:

> I normally do but I use an Off Line Reader that makes that unnecessary
> and in any case it should be obvious who I'm addressing.
>
> Try using a threaded view and read back if you need to.

Even using threading, not everyone's newsreader is set to display
already-read messages. And in many cases, already-read messages are
quickly deleted.

I, for example, don't display already-read messages, since it would
take me much longer to go through all the messages in busy newsgroups.
And even if I haven't yet deleted the previous messages in a thread,
I'm hardly ever willing to take the extra time to turn on viewing read
messages and look for what you're replying to.

So the simple fact of the matter is that, beside quoting being
standard netiquette, if you don't do it, a large portion of the
participants in the newsgroup will not be able to understand your
messages, and simply ignore them.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup